Sean Paul / Dutty Rock - opinions?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Sean Paul / Dutty Rock - opinions?

Postby Pluto » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:37 pm

I’ve picked up Sean Paul’s "Dutty Rock" on my last order from Ernie B’s (it was included on the ‘offers’ section) and have played this quite a few times since yesterday. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a very nice album overall, much better than what I expected. Even most of the R’n’B fusion tracks are good (like the one with Rahzel of the Roots).

Provided that the reggae market is very much singles-orientated, the whole album imo is very solid with a few mediocre tracks towards the end. I found it superior to Bounty Killer’s “My Xperience” that was considered a classic of the dancehall genre (i.e. included on Rough Guide’s 100 essential reggae CDs).

What’s your opinion on it?

A nice dancehall set? :)
Too mainstreamized for your own taste? :x
Or were you too tired of the Sean Paul hype and over-exposure of the hits to check it? :?
Pluto

Postby DrSuperlove » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:41 pm

i saw the video for whatever track it is that borrows the chorus from I'm Still in Love With You and bemoaned the current state of jamaican music
DrSuperlove

Postby BMC » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:51 pm

I like the album too, Pluto. I think he's a talented artist and has some pretty nice tunes. A good album in the style I would say.
BMC

Postby dots69 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:00 pm

you're unlikely to find much positive response on dis ya board, personally though I enjoyed it greatly on its initial release. Unlike most reggae LPs there where few if any fillers on it, the crossover tracks and combinations worked well and as i recall the interludes where quite humurous too ! In years to come it will be considered a must have, regardless of what others tell ya :wink:

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Pluto » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:10 pm

pheeww... thanks BMC and dots cause I thought I was alone in this! 8)

as i recall the interludes where quite humurous too

I think I have the re-release which leaves out all the skits except for the intro (which I found rather funny) and adds Beyonce's "Baby Boy" (not one of my faves, don't dislike it either).
Pluto

Postby dots69 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:22 pm

agreed 'Baby Boy' is **** - though do look out for the Elephant Man refix 'Come Fast' over the same riddim if thats your ting. nice :wink:

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby tim p » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:30 am

i saw the video for whatever track it is that borrows the chorus from I'm Still in Love With You and bemoaned the current state of jamaican music

Not quite sure what your bemoaning but I should probably point out that it was basically a cover and didn't just borrow the chorus.
It was a shame that that single wasn't a chart hit like Gimme The Light etc that came before it.
tim p

Postby nick » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:36 am

no, not a cover at all.. an update to the joe gibbs tune, which of course updated the alton ellis.

chart response or not, i was shocked in the best way -- even shocking out as i would say -- to see a tune built at S1 being licked back on prime time MTV not to mention what that does to radio airplay.

that SP is a good album in part because it did what so many other modern JA LPs did not: used MANY of the artists top singles instead of one + 15 filler.
nick

Postby nick » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:38 am

>> no, not a cover at all..

? sorry i got that backwards -- meant to point out that tim had it right, that it wasnt' just a borrowed hook but was a cover -- recut of the gibbs tune
nick

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:26 am

Sorry lads, but I dont rate Dutty Rock at all imho. Not liking SP's voice does not help the cause I suppose.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby KING RATHID » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Yeah i like some of his stuff and the album was alright but IMO he thinks he's SUPERCAT! KILLIN **** YEAH MI KILL DEM FI FUN! One of SP's tune on the albums sounds exactly like it. Actually its the one on the superstar riddim.
Worries Outanational - Dublin
KING RATHID

Postby rez » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:32 pm

personally I think Cat is just bitter....everybody learn from someone start from Daddy U-Roy on down...

Sean Paul in general does not sound like SuperCat to these ears.

Album is ok, not amazing but LIKE GLUE is a killer makes the lp worthwhile.
rez

Postby KING RATHID » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:58 pm

Listen to Jookin Punny I think not to sure of the name he sounds like CAT!

Just got a 2004 live recording of supercat! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH STILL HASNT LOST HIS TOUCH!
Worries Outanational - Dublin
KING RATHID

Return to General discussion