Whatever happened to Gary Clail?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Whatever happened to Gary Clail?

Postby Ras Berry » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:38 pm

"I saw Gary Clail in a pub near St Ives and he was a really nice bloke.
Although he never bothered getting a round in!!"

"My mate Dave looks quite like Gary. Are you sure it wasn't him?"

:?
Ras Berry

Postby Rootsman » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:49 pm

I did a Scottish tour in Jan 95 with Mr Clail, the late great Bim Sherman and the Revolutionary Dub Warriors. The first was in the Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh and was quite a laugh. I played before and inbetween the 2 live acts and then Clail finished the show. Back then I was just playing off DAT and had no problems, however Clail turned up with a carrier bad full of TDK SA90 cassettes and proceeded to play his set with them! Of course it was a disaster, he kept taking ages to cue stuff up, very slack and unprofessional for someone of his reasonable standing for then. The next night at Glasgow Uni he never even turned up so I had to play all night except for the live acts. Loads of pissed Scotsmen kept on hassling me and asking where Clail was. The last night was up in Aberdeen and we drove up in a semi-blizzard. Incredibly Clail made it up there somehow and we joined him for dinner at a local restaurant. He was quite a pleasant chap. Anyway despite him downing a lot of red wine he was a lot more together that night and managed to pull off his SA90 set pretty well (maybe no-one noticed!). I got a lot of the tour on VHS somewhere, need to transfer it to DVD and have a night in reliving the past!
Rootsman

Postby Ras Berry » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:52 pm

Maybe his helicopter didn't turn up for his Glasgow show?
Ras Berry

Postby Anonymous » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:21 pm

'Carrier bad' is a great and appropriate misspelling Rootsman.
And you never told me you toured with Bim! - your stock rises inestimably.
Rob
ps
long time no hear - are you ok?
pps
have changed jobs now.
Anonymous

Return to General discussion