Freddie Mcgregor-Bobby Bobylon

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Freddie Mcgregor-Bobby Bobylon

Postby alastair » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 pm

Anybody know over what period of time the tracks on this album were recorded. It's a great showcase for a great singer, but i've always thought that a lot of the songs sound as though they were recorded a few years apart from each other. I'm sure that I read somewhere that Coxsone held it back for years before eventually releasing it, in which case, did he add a few more recent recordings?
alastair

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:40 pm

Coxsone may well have delayed releasing this LP but I think the whole collection was recorded around the same time with Freddie playing many of the instruments himself (?)

Two of the tracks were out on 7" in 1976, four years before the LP was issued.
Rastaman Camp (re-recorded for the LP)
I Man A Rasta (re-recorded for the LP and re-titled I Am A Revolutionist)

Bobby Babylon was also issued on 7" with a version, but I'm not sure when, or if this single version was included on the LP, or if it was also re-recorded(?).
Jackie Pablo

Postby alastair » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:44 pm

Thanks! The three that you mentioned were the three that I felt were the least like the rest
alastair

Postby JV » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:47 pm

His voice started to break in the early 70's (listen to the track Cherry Oh Baby on LP Jamaica Today The 70's, which I think is recorded in 1971, he still sounds like a child, but next year's records like cover of Junior Byles' Beat Down Babylon feature a more mature voice). Then he recorded quite extensively during the 70's, some of which were released at the time, some were shelved. My guess earliest of the tracks from the album are 1973ish and last tracks could be as late as 1979 when he left Studio 1 for the time, although he returned there in the 80's to record one album).

Truly a classic album!
JV

Return to General discussion