Rap on Glen Brown's Green Bay Killing

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Rap on Glen Brown's Green Bay Killing

Postby Bob Escenzion » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 am

So I was listening to this album for the first time yesterday and noticed this track "Friends" by L.J. Rap. Roots-archives.com says that the album was recorded 1978 (when was it released?). With the rapping in mind, this can't be true, right? Anyone here know the story of this rap-cut (or "war boat" by Tuffest)?

Thanks
Bob Escenzion

Postby David » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:38 am

haver no idea, but quite often represses in reggae have a different tracklist than the original edition, so assume you own a repress, this one song might have been recorded later and only shown up on the repress...but thats just a guess, others might know exactly
David

Postby Bob Escenzion » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:45 am

my guess is that the youthman-riddim on which the album is based was recorded 1978 and then the different cuts were recorded and released later on. I found a site which states that Green Bay Killing was released 1990, which would explain the rapcut and the raggacut.
Bob Escenzion

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Tuffest's "Warboat" wasn't included on the original album, but the LJ Rap cut was . . . as Bob says, the rhythm may have been recorded in 1978, but the other cuts clearly date from later. Ringo may have been around in the late 70s, but his cut is clearly in "ragga" style, definately mid 80s at the earliest. I think Mikey Jarrett and Reverand Badoo were primarily 80's artists . . . so probably very few of the album's cuts were actually recorded close to when the rhythm was recorded.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:35 pm

Maybe "ragga" wasn't the right word to use to describe Ringo's toast - more like "roughneck." He changed his style to be rougher and harsher sometime in the mid 80s, and "Green Bay Story" exemplifies this switch quite well.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby skunkride » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:33 am

Some of the cuts on this album (the repress that is) sound 90s to my ears
skunkride

Return to General discussion