Ackee, Chesse Roots and Route One- info and discography help

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Ackee, Chesse Roots and Route One- info and discography help

Postby generalX » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:06 am

Seeking info on the UK artiste called Ackee who had a couple of hits in the late 80's. From what i've heard he was Chesse Roots (who produced him) nephew and handled the mic on Chesse's sound (don't know the name of it). I've been looking allover for info on this wicked singer but found equal to zero so far.

I've got 'Call Me Rambo' (his big hit), 'Rough Neck Time' (christmas anthem) and the double sider; 'Raggamuffin Boggie Rock' (out of key but still wicked) and on the flip side - 'Lick Them' (dance hall style).
Did he ever record any songs beside these four? Anybody know what he's doing today?

Also looking for a 'Route One' discography. Were there any other cuts on the 'Call Me Rambo' riddim besides the Ackee and Dennis 'D' Selector - Stop It Stop It?

Any info is appreciated!
Download our new 90's roots mix - Shark Attack Vol. 2 - here: http://soundcloud.com/odiggity/roughlynx-sa2
generalX

Postby Ringo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

There's a version to Don't Call Me Rambo on a compilation called "Serious Dub" which came on Mango in the late 80's. Can't remember off the top of my head if it's the same version or not but the LP is full of great dubs by Peter Chemist and others.
Ringo

Postby Ringo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

There's a version to Call Me Rambo on a compilation called "Serious Dub" which came on Mango in the late 80's. Can't remember off the top of my head if it's the same version or not but the LP is full of great dubs by Peter Chemist and others.
Ringo

Postby jb welda » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:55 pm

yes that serious dub set is pretty killer for computer based dub wise stuff. i have the LP plus have the 12" of call me rambo (rather recent reissue) and from what ive heard the version on the LP is from the 12" though i havent done a straight one-to-one comparison.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Ringo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 am

Yup, I think you're right JB.
Ringo

Postby arty » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:11 am

not sure why, but I keep reading this as "Cheese Roots". Maybe I need to get some breakfast.
arty

arty

Postby generalX » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 pm

yeah, you should get a nice cheese sandwish and some ackee and saltfish.-..
Download our new 90's roots mix - Shark Attack Vol. 2 - here: http://soundcloud.com/odiggity/roughlynx-sa2
generalX

Re: Ackee, Chesse Roots and Route One- info and discography

Postby Ruffneck » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:46 am

Really old thread revisited as I just played Lick Them and realised I have still not been able to find any information whatsoever about Ackee or Chesse Roots or their wicked productions. This thread indicates they had something to do with 80's UK sound business and if this is correct, I would be surprised if no one on this board had any stories to share...
Ruffneck

Postby John Eden » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 am

Most of the online stores that sold the repress have similar text which I assume is from the press release. Eg: https://boomkat.com/products/call-me-ra ... gun-salute

That says that the soundsystem was also called Heavyweight and that Chesse was short for “Chester”.

Not much to go on, but a start.

Also another thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18731
John Eden

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 pm

That's correct about Chesse Roots being a guy called Chester. I met him a couple of times round at Vibes Studio in the late 80s as he was a friend of the guy who owned Vibes. I'm pretty sure the Heavyweight label which Call Me Rambo released on was associated with the sound Heavyweight which was a north London sound and used to play in Tottenham a lot in the 80's. I don't know who Ackie was and have no idea what any of them are doing now.
Reggaemusicstore

Return to General discussion