OT: Stylus pressure

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

OT: Stylus pressure

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Before I will ask my question, let me first say that I know there are better turntables and I know my cartridge and stylus are just average and maybe not even that for some. Fact is I'm satisfied with 'm for now, will certainly upgrade in the future, but for now I just hope to get an answer on the question instead of advices to get something else. That said, here's the thing. :lol:

I have a Gemini turntable and a Stanton 500 AL-II cartridge. I have a question on the settings for the counter-weight. After the horizontal balancing and setting the pressure-ring to zero for that position, the manual says something like "now adjust the counterweight until the desired stylus pressure appears on the ring". My question is: What is the desired pressure?
The ring has a scale from 0-3 on my tt. What is a good pressure to use?

Thanks for the info.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:00 pm

the pressure recommended by the cartridge / stylus manufacturer for the particular stylus you have.

will be in the instructions or on the Stanton website possibly.
Anonymous

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:04 pm

That's the problem yms, I can't find that info anywhere. They do give tables for the cartridge height adjustments, but not for the pressure. It's in the manual that came with the cartridge that they say: adjust to the desired pressure.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:06 pm

yeah,

i just did a search and found this

http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/tonear ... ttings.asp

it appears the setting can be 2-5g.

i would probably go for something in the middle 3.5g?
Anonymous

Postby ephteeay » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:11 pm

id like you to know that there are better turntables than the one you use and if i were you id change cartridge/stylus combo since the ones you have are just average.
ephteeay

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:12 pm

Yes, that's indeed the manual for this thingy. I keep on asking stupid questions now. I also was thinking of about 3.5 grams, but since this ring of mine goes from 0-3, what do these numbers mean? How do I know when I have 3.5 grams? What amount of grams corresponds to the 3 position?
BMC

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:14 pm

Ah nevermind, found it on a website. It's 5 g maximum. Problem solved. Thanks.

Still like to know if people use higher or lower pressure than the average, for what reason (strictly talkin' about playing records here, no scratching or stuff like that)?
BMC

Postby Dadi Digi » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:21 pm

Your weight ring only goes up to 3 BMC right. Set the horizontal so the arm is balanced. Then spin the ring to 0 at the horizontal setting. Move the weight and ring around (same time)to 3 grm mark and turn it on another bit so you are at approx 3.5. 3.5 is a common setting for the AL 500.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:30 pm

Digi, I just looked it up and the the manual of the tt says the stylus pressure adjust range is from 0 - 5 grams, so I understand that as the numbers (0 - 3) on the ring do not correspond to grams, meaning 3.5 grams means position 1.5 on the ring. If what I say here is correct then you're method will give a stylus pressure of more than 5 grams.
BMC

Postby Dadi Digi » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:39 pm

News to me Marc as I recall the technics have a similar set up. Thats the way I have mine anyhow with good results.

Cheers
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:42 pm

Yeah, I don't know if I'm right Paul, but that's how I understand the manual. If I'm wrong and you're right, I'm sure somebody here will tell us! :D

Cheers.
BMC

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:12 pm

Well? Surely someone knows 100% sure who's correct? Image
BMC

Postby JV » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:39 pm

Good rule of thumb is to follow manufacturers recommendations. The most important point is that you should never set the tracking force too low (beloow the recommended minimum). Many people don't know it will ruin your records more effectively than too much of pressure.
Buy a small gauge from Ortofon or Shure. Not very expensive. I always set tracking force with the help of a scale. I don't believe in those counterweight measures. Well, in my arm you have to, there is no counterweight scale at all.
Last edited by JV on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JV

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:57 pm

Why did they make this stuff so complicated.... :lol:

Tracking force? Where do you set the tracking force?? The only things I can set on this turntable (as far as I know) are the counterweight at the end of the arm and the anti-skating, which is recommended to have the same value as the counterweight in both the manuals (of the tt and the cartrdige). The manual of the cartridge recommends a tracking-force value of 2 - 5 g., but where do I do that?? Is that the same as the anti-skating value?
BMC

Postby Semi-Decent » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:27 pm

BMC - I use the Stanton 500 series too - but I have the 500 MK II model.

Yes, these aren't the most expensive, high-end cartridges/needles around, but I've been happy with their performance so far.

Sounds like you got the pressue thing under control now - so I wanted to ask another question re: the stylus itself.

Can anyone expand on the major differences b/t Elliptical vs Spherical needles?

It seems like everytime I ask a guy at a dj shop about the differences, I get a million stories, each contradicting what the other guy said. Same goes for web info. Can anyone (ehh, hmm Juha) break it down inna basic info stylee :wink:

Is one 'safer' to use than the other - specifically, does one 'dig' into a record more than the other?

Last ting - Is one better to use on the so-called rougher, older Jamaican 45's - or is this a myth too?

Thanks
Semi-Decent

Next

Return to General discussion