British Library Sound Archive

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

British Library Sound Archive

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:22 pm

It has recently been brought to my attention that within the British Library Sound Archive there is a respectable collection of reggae vinyl. Unlike book publishers there is no legal requirement for record companies to lodge a copy of everything they produce with the BL but nonetheless a lot of companies (and individuals) do.

The Archive is open for inspection by the general public, although you do have to go through the formality of applying for a readers card first. Some of the catalogue can be inspected on this inter web thingy.

I mention this as I wonder if Steve Barrow, James Dutton, etc. (ie anyone who might be in need of clean copies of records for rerelease purposes) are aware of the archives existence as it might possibly prove to be a useful resource. I imagine the records sit there from one year to the next housed in ideal conditions doing nothing very much. At least they will not have been passed around eBay a few times and had lager spilt over them at parties and so on.

Inchpinchers
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:30 pm

At least they will not have been passed around eBay a few times and had lager spilt over them at parties and so on.

I'm not so sure about that. I reckon librarians go crazy on Congo Natty Records after dark.

Its always the quiet ones.
Anonymous

A Librarian writes

Postby Grumpy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:53 pm

Well, Baldy, I conform to all the stereotypes of a librarian (quiet as a mouse, corduroy trousers, tweed jacket, watching morris dancing, pipe and frothing tankard, a penchant for going "shhhh", in frantic love with the Dewey Decimal System and Library of Congress classification scheme, hiking and map-reading at weekends, tending the hydrangeas) but if I worked in the BL music dept, I fear there would be certain items that never reached the acquisitions schedule. (No, I don't really mean it). But remember that the person who classifies it has a very good reason to listen to it to establish genre etc.
Grumpy

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:20 pm

Is this your library Grumpy?

:D :D :D
Anonymous

Postby Ade » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:47 pm

...when I was looking for impossible to come by music by some African artists recorded circa late 50's early 60's I found some references to music available in a library/libraries in the States. BUT........it stated that you are only permitted to listen to the music within the confines of the library walls on the sound reproduction equipment provided. A fat lot of good!

I wonder if the British library apply the same set of rules?
Ade

Re: A Librarian writes

Postby CC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:00 pm

Grumpy wrote:Well, Baldy, I conform to all the stereotypes of a librarian (quiet as a mouse, corduroy trousers, tweed jacket, watching morris dancing, pipe and frothing tankard, a penchant for going "shhhh", in frantic love with the Dewey Decimal System and Library of Congress classification scheme, hiking and map-reading at weekends, tending the hydrangeas) but if I worked in the BL music dept, I fear there would be certain items that never reached the acquisitions schedule. (No, I don't really mean it). But remember that the person who classifies it has a very good reason to listen to it to establish genre etc.

Haha...but you sure can skank for a librarian innit Chris? Image :wink:
CC&DC Sound System
www.cc-dc.tk
CC

Postby Ras Berry » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:10 pm

I'm wearing cords today and they're M&S ones too, I'm pretty quiet, I love a good map and a bit of a hike in the country and the occasional pint of something organic brewed with tender loving care by a man in his shed with twigs in his beard - or something like that, but I'm afraid I don't know what the Dewey Decimal System is, or the other one for that matter - sorry!!

8)
Ras Berry

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:36 pm

In libraries, there are numbers on the spines of the book and they are all arranged by number, within categories. This is the Dewey Decimal System. Its a handy system in that if you are looking for books on reggae or soul you can go straight to:

781.64 Western popular music

..........and you don't have to waste your time in endless aisles looking for books that are not about reggae or soul.

I'm sure Grumpy could explain it better but I think thats the gist.

Baldy
Anonymous

Postby Grumpy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:02 pm

Couldn't have explained it better or more pithily myself, Baldy. It's based on the idea that for classification purposes, all knowledge is divisible into 10 general categories which are then potentially subdivisible into further subsets of ten and 10 subsets of each subset and so on ad infintum until the minutest particle of knowledge is trapped and classified. There is no escape from the Dewey Decimal System. It is all-encompassing and, indeed, had a number waiting for dub before King Tubby was even a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Colette, that looks more like headbanging than skanking. I'll make it to your next gig as long as you PROMISE not to photograph the evidence and post it on here.
Grumpy

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:13 pm

aaaw!

I wanted to see the tweed!

:wink:
Anonymous

Postby CC » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:47 pm

Grumpy wrote:Colette, that looks more like headbanging than skanking. I'll make it to your next gig as long as you PROMISE not to photograph the evidence and post it on here.

I know....nearest I could find, gonna have to look into how to make them meself. Look forward to seeing you next month and I'll def' have some tapes for you.
CC&DC Sound System
www.cc-dc.tk
CC

Skank

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:59 pm

According to the BBC:

Rootsman skanking

* Stand in one place and begin to feel the base of the music
* Nod your head to the beat and slightly shift your weight from one foot to another
* If you’re really feeling the song raise your knees and add a slight hop
* You could also raise one hand to the ceiling as you skank
* Feel the Bass.

And if you want something a little hotter:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/reg ... earn2dance
Anonymous

Postby Grumpy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:10 pm

To get the live links:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/sound.html

And the rest of this post is a copy of the front page of the Sound Archive section of the BL. It gives info about getting copies which includes a cost (that will also cover the copyright payment):-

The catalogue includes entries for almost two-and-a-half million recordings held in the Sound Archive and is updated daily. It is one of the largest catalogues of its kind anywhere in the world, covering both published and unpublished recordings in all genres from pop, jazz, classical and world music, to oral history, drama and literature, dialect, language and wildlife sounds.

You can confirm the existence of recordings and compile lists and discographies. At present there are only a few sounds available for you to listen to online. You will need to search the catalogue using the term virtual nsa in order to find these. There is a larger selection of sounds on the Sound Archive web pages.

You will find all the information you require to make a listening appointment. Make a note of the call (reference) number which appears at the foot of the entry. Then contact our Listening & Viewing Service or Recorded Sound Information Service by phone or in person to arrange an appointment.

You will also be able to place orders for copies of recordings - please be aware of the charges and the copyright restrictions that apply to this service.

The catalogue does not contain data about every single recording in the collection and some subject areas are better represented than others. If you are unable to find a particular recording or there is something you don't understand, please contact us either by email or by telephone/letter .

On-screen HELP is available at every stage of your search. Tips on searching have been prepared by each subject curator. You can also contact them directly via their web pages.

A selection of BBC Sound Archive material is held in the Sound Archive and included in the catalogue but there is no general access to data on BBC radio collections. You will need to contact us directly by email, phone or letter if your enquiry concerns a BBC radio programme that does not appear in the catalogue.

Please note that this catalogue is based on available information and the British Library accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the data displayed. you will find there are some inconsistencies in the data. These have arisen because catalogue records were compiled from a wide range of earlier and external sources. That being so, the British Library gratefully acknowledges the co-operation of the National Discography Ltd and the BBC Gramophone Library in helping to expand the coverage of its catalogue

For further information please contact:
The Recorded Sound Information Service
The British Library
Sound Archive
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7676
Fax: +44 (0)20 7412 7441
E-Mail: sound-archive@bl.uk
Grumpy

Return to General discussion