FAO BAF crew - downloads of BAF music being sold

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

FAO BAF crew - downloads of BAF music being sold

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:53 am

A discussion on the SNWMF board pointed me to this website, which sells individual tracks for download, and claims to do so legally. I wanted to confirm their legality, and I figured a good way to check would be by asking you guys, since they're selling the entirety of the Microphone Attack album on their website:
http://www.cyberreggae.com
(search for Album: "Microphone" and it'll come up)

The big questions: Were you aware this was going on? Is it legal? And are you or the artists getting money from them?

I'm completely in support of this kind of music distribution; I just wanted to make sure that this was legal before I actually gave them any money.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:28 am

It will be interesting to see the response to this one Fish...of course it won't be the first time tracks licensed to B&F have appeared on other labels, Trojan for example has put out some Tappa Zukie tracks that appear on B&F through deals with him, and the entire Umoja Dub & 20th Century DEBwise albums are currently available on the DEB label put out by Badda Music.

I'm hoping the Cyberreggae site does turn out to be legitimate, this site or something like it could really fill a niche in the reggae industry and help promote current artists and their music, to the international public outside of the hardcore 7" vinyl buying massive.
Ital Dokta

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:05 am

FYI, here is the link to the original SNWMF thread...

http://www.snwmf.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=7174&t=7174
Ital Dokta

Postby Curly Locks » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:52 am

Thanks for alerting us Fish. I have posted this up as a 'Sticky' to ensure that Bob will find it.

I'll Un-stick it once he has.

Curly
Curly Locks

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:27 am

Yes, thanks Fish (and Curly Locks) for bringing this to our attention. I'm going to have to look into this - I've had a look at cyberreggae.com's site and it all looks pretty legit. In particular I noticed that they say they are registered with ASCAP, BMI, Harry Fox etc. We have had no direct dealings with them, but we have recently concluded a deal with a company in Brooklyn called Virtual Label to act as our exclusive N. American distributor for downloads. So hopefully cyberreggae.com is one of Virtual Label's customers. I couldn't see any other BAF albums on their site, and so far we've only given Vitual Label 15 albums, one of which is Microphone Attack (or "Attack Microphone" as it appears on cyberreggae.com).

So hopefully it's legit - I'll check with Virtual Label and let you guys know.

Bob :roll:
Anonymous

Postby Curly Locks » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:42 pm

Un-Stuck as promised...

Curly
Curly Locks

Postby jb welda » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:44 pm

>"Attack Microphone"

not that im accusing anyone of anything but wasnt this a technique employed by lee perry among others to assure artists wouldnt find their works if they looked to check up on royalties...changing the name i mean, especially like this so an alphabetically sorted search wouldnt find it in the section it should be in?

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:47 am

I've noticed quite a bit of incorrect information on that site - wrong song titles for one thing (though sometimes the same tune can appear under different titles on 7" and album anyway), riddim names entered under album title, maybe even some misidentified artists (though I haven't confirmed that yet).

Deliberate deception or just sloppiness? The jury's out...
Ital Dokta

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:45 am

My spidey sense says something seems odd with that site
Chocolate Soldier

Return to General discussion