Question For Dave Hendley Or Tighten Up Crew

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Question For Dave Hendley Or Tighten Up Crew

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:10 am

Dave - I have asked you the name of a tune twice already at T.Up : piano based instrumental tune possibly Mellow Mood by The Jay Boys ? Possibly on Harry J ; possibly on an old Trojan comp ??

Anyhoo - I am fairly sure I heard a Bob Andy on the same rhythm track last weekend - could I be right ?

Any info gratefully received. Lovely piece of music either way.

MSE
Anonymous

Postby tim p » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:31 am

Unless I'm completely off track I think your talking about Bob Andy's - You Don't Know. This is available on the Rebel Music release on Trojan (compiled by DH). The name of the piano cut escapes me at the moment but it may well be Mellow Mood.
tim p

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:35 am

Sounds about right Tim P - are you tightening up on the 30th ?

MSE
Anonymous

Postby Dave Home » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:41 am

Tim's right, on JA Harry J it's called 'Mellow Mood'. However, it's sometimes known as 'Tilly' and was released on one of the Trojan Box sets (possibly 'Rare Groove') with that title.
Dave Home

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:20 am

Dave's right - the instrumental is on the Trojan "Rare Groove" box set, which you should be able to pick up for around seven or eight quid these days.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Dave Hendley » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:34 am

Cheers Dave & Tim! - job done.
Dave Hendley

Postby Dave Hendley » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:46 am

by the way does anyone remember the infamous Greek Cypriot labelled pressing of 'You Don't Know'. It was a UK boot from the early 70s and they must have just used whatever labels were lying around at the pressing plant. Been looking for one since 1975 when John McGillivray showed me a copy.
Also on the subject of boots there's an outrageously authentic looking 'Children Of The Emperor' about - sound quality is amazing. It's even got a CF matrix although this is one digit wrong.
Dave Hendley

Postby Dave Home » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:52 am

Greetings Dave - Yes I picked up the 'Children of the Emperor' the other day and as you say it's a great pressing. Nice to get it at long last as I'd been after it for years. I was hoping it wasn't a boot and that Albert Malawi/Pablove Black etc might earn something from it but I'm not sure about that. I wonder what other Uprising titles might be in the pipeline...maybe 'Cuts & Bruises' or even 'Natty Burry' ?
Dave Home

Postby Dave Hendley » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:23 pm

Hello Dave - when I saw the CF matrix I thought briefly that they could be legit represses.....but I think they are boots, although not 100% on that. Yes the sound quality is terrific, possibly brighter & heavier than the original. I must admit I'll be gutted (purely for selfish reasons) if they do 'Natty Burry' as it's one of my favorite play out tunes.....although I'm resting it off at the moment & resisted the temptation to spin it at the last Tighten Up.
All the best for Xmas - will give you a call over the holiday.
Dave Hendley

Postby Dave Home » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:02 pm

Dave - I enjoyed hearing you play 'Natty Burry' at one of the Tighten Ups this year, it sounded great. It's another one of those records that I used to have from the time and then inexplicably let go. It would be great to get it back again, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Hope you (and all Baffers) have a great Christmas !
Dave Home

Postby tim p » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:08 pm

Sounds about right Tim P - are you tightening up on the 30th ?

No we're having a couple of months off as a)there was no chance they'd let us have new year and b)refurbishments in the pub make a january date unlikely. Still I'll keep every one posted when I know what is happening.

I've still got to sort out the (edited!) audio of your last Tighten Up Dave. Will do this and stick it in the post when time permits.
tim p

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:52 pm

Thanks all.

MSE
Anonymous

Return to General discussion