Best currently active reggae live act ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:59 pm

Sizzla was shocked last month performing in London with Zoki and Dildonics as a backing band. After 10 minutes he was compelled to start singing with his back turned to audience.
Anonymous

Postby trinitymlk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:25 pm

Will I:
Don Carlos is backed by Wadi Gad and Dub Vision, out of the Oakland area. THe bassist is named Toho, the keyboardist is named Hutch, and the I think they are currently running with Vince Black (from Roots Awakening) on guitar. A wicked backing band.
Wadi and Toho make up the best lowend in Cali.

I can never get that into a show when the artist doesn't even know their backing band, and is pulling up every tune three and four times.

The one live dancehall show I saw that really hit me down deep was Sizzla, Turbulence, and Prince Malachi being backed by Chinna & his crew in Humboldt County a few years back. They ripped for for 2.5 hours without stopping or pulling up one tune, with all three artists coming on and off stage. Chinna shredding on guitar with a seriously tight crew from JA. -MK
trinitymlk

Postby jb welda » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:32 pm

Last edited by jb welda on Sun May 11, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Postby MickH » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:39 pm

Of the limited amount of concerts I saw recently I would have to say that Michael Rose with Sly and Robbie was the best live concert I have seen...Closely followed by Everton Blender a couple of years ago...Best chatter over a sound system DEFINITLY goes to Briggy for his performance a couple of years ago on the FIrehouse Skank sound..
MickH
MickH

Postby canikickit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:58 pm

My experience is probably also somewhat limited compared to some of you other guys, but I would have to say Horace andy. I've seen him twice over here and he obviously enjoys performing very much, and his voice sounds as great as it does on his recordings from the seventies.

He's a nice guy too.

I've seen the Skatalites twice also, and I didn't quite enjoy the second one as much because it was pretty much the exact same as the first one. Same venue and all.
"I am the complete pioneer of everything"

Ken Khouri
canikickit

Postby trinitymlk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:46 pm

JB, I base my comment on these bands (Spear, Pulse, Izzy Vibes, Culture, even Bunny) playing the same set over and over, on the fact that I have seen them do it many times. Show after show, festy after festy. I still love them and will continue to support them and the promoters who bring them around.
I am not going to be the person who pays $150 for a festival, and then complains about the music all weekend. But, these artists with huge catalogues of music could do us the honor of rehersing and performing new material.
Especially beacuse all of the artists I mentioned have backing bands who could rip through tons of material. -MK
trinitymlk

Previous

Return to General discussion