Best currently active reggae live act ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Ital Dokta » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:16 am

Due to geographic disadvantages compared to some of you I haven't yet been able to attend too many live reggae shows...I have however seen Spear twice now and I would have to say in my limited experience he's "the best". Seeing him in a smoky club the first time was a pure hypnotic experience, I just about got chills down my spine when he started digging into some Studio One material...and the whole place went mad the first time he did his "talk to me people!" thing.

Saw Toots also this summer past and he puts on a very enthusiastic and energetic show, skanking around the stage like a man half his age.
Ital Dokta

Postby trinitymlk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 am

Spear, Toots, Twinkles, Gladiators, Izzy Vibes, Steel Pulse all put on great live shows, but they always play the same tunes over and over, even going so far as tell the same anecdotes between tunes.
I guess you have to be spoiled to complain about seeing them too much, but I have to respect bands that have enough depth to constantly keep it fresh and play fresh tunes.

Don Carlos is talented like that. He will ask the crowd what they want to hear and then get into it, and can rely on his backing band to follow. -MK
trinitymlk

Postby flip » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:36 am

seen Capleton 3 times in the last few years. I've never been that into his live show. he was pretty good the last time I saw him (this past summer). He sings 2 sentences from his song and then screams and jumps around for the rest of it. thats just my opinion. less audience participation more of the performer please.....

Coco T puts on a great show. I thought he blew away Capleton when I saw them together.
I've seen Don Carlos about 5 times in the past few years and he delivers every time. great vibes.
Ras Michael was great at Sierra Nevada this summer. I thought i was going to chill during his set but I had to get up off my ass and go the front......
Burning Spear has put on some great shows. I saw him outdoors on a small stage and he was incredible. Great live horns, lots of percussion.
flip

Don Carlos

Postby will-I » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:30 am

Don Carlos For sure he did money and woman when I saw him thanksgiving this year in ventura. Holy **** when his band started playing the first few bars of the rhythm I went bananas. that was dope as hell. Backed by Wadi Gad and company (sorry don't know the band name), they were awesome, the best band for sure tight as hell, Wadi Gad is an awesome drummer one of the best, plus it was the first show I saw that was devoid of any cheesy synth-horn playing. They actually had a trombone player. That was an evening I will never forget. I asked Don to sing "From Creation" he did not say a word, just gave me a nod of approval, not sure if he got around to sing it that night as I left at 1 am and he was still going strong. I had to leave early as my wife and cousin joined me for the show so I had to oblige my wife when she was tired, lucky she came at all.

Will-I
"Music Is The Weapon Of the Future"
will-I

Postby BMC » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:23 am

flip wrote:seen Capleton 3 times in the last few years. I've never been that into his live show. he was pretty good the last time I saw him (this past summer). He sings 2 sentences from his song and then screams and jumps around for the rest of it.

No, he sings one sentence then rewinds the tune while screaming and jumping, starts all over again, maybe rewinds the tune again and then finishes it with singing about half of the lyrics. :lol:

less audience participation more of the performer please.....

Agree with you there, but it doesn't bother me so much. :roll:

Interesting to see the ones posting in this thread so far not being really enthousiastic about Capleton shows. When asking a real dancehall crowd (DHR-board for instance), Capleton's show is often rated among the best in the business at the moment. Maybe I'm more of a dancehall-guy after al ....... :lol:
BMC

Postby His_Imperial_Measurements » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:54 am

Recently I've enjoyed the Skatalites, Jimmy Cliff, Buju Banton, Ward 21 and Anthony B.

Was very disappointed with Burning Spear.

Beres Hammond has a great voice but his lyrics are not good enough.
Chicken Merry - Hawk Deh Near!
His_Imperial_Measurements

Postby plunkstar » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:21 am

Alright,
Capleton is capable of given a hot show. But....he is a bit stuck in his mannerisms these days.
I saw Luciano in Amsterdam a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that he had renewed his repetoire. Luciano is definetly a contender for the Live Show Award.
And...then....there is SEEED. Talk about a good vibes generator!!!! I know that the purists amongst y'all will turn around when hearing SEEED. But they are wicked, positive and they can just bring THE VIBES!!!
Ras Micheal...yes...deep vibes all around!

You know, as long as the artists seem to be enjoying themselves, come with positivity, have good crowd interaction and a killer repetoire....they'll have my vote.

Bless
plunkstar

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:24 am

I'll vote for Bob Andy.

It wasn't an exciting show as such, but he performed classic after classic in a small intimate venue and he treated the 60 or so in attendance as if we were all his mates who'd come round for a sing song and a chat. Superb performance and a very nice bloke as well.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Varese » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:34 am

:arrow: Plunkstar; agree with you about Seeed...
but the best band I've seen live is Zion Train.
Which is strange, cos I hate their records :?
V
Varese

Postby Moses » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:43 am

I saw & interviewed this guy last month in Paris! Thanks to Tim P I think who linked this...

Great gig! Rapt audience who went nuts at the end.

-MATISYAHU-

http://cszwimer.free.fr/matisyahubis1.mov

Takes some time to download but worth it - sound is a bit dodgy but great to get an idea.
Moses

Postby RootzKilla » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:44 am

the best I've seen was Linval Thompson and Johnny Clarke at Ocean Hackney London in may
Mikey Dread, Michael Prophet and Prince Alla was great as well
RootzKilla

Postby oldskoolpat » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:55 am

this past year, the best shows i saw were burning spear and capleton w/ cocoa tea. just my $0.02.. :wink:
sock it sock it reggaematic!
oldskoolpat

Postby KING RATHID » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:02 pm

Horace andy was wicked he played here a couple of months ago with the mad prof!

Sizzla is wicked live seen him in london. Beenie is good. But I defo have to agree with ya mate KING SHANGO gets my vote for today. In the past its DENNIS BROWN no other artist comes close for me he's my fav of all time!!!
Worries Outanational - Dublin
KING RATHID

Postby Reuben » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:07 pm

As a performance to me I think Third World.
Reuben

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Zoki and the Dildonics
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion