Best currently active reggae live act ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Best currently active reggae live act ?

Postby BMC » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:15 pm

Somebody asked me today which reggae act, currently active on the live scene, has the best stage show? Foundation artists or new(er), doesn't matter, as long as the act is performing live nowadays.

My vote goes to the fyah-man: Capleton

Luciano and Beres Hammond are excellent on stage too imo.

I can't think of any foundation artist (currently active on the scene) that I've seen that has an equally good live show.

You?
BMC

Postby Semi-Decent » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:38 pm

Twinkle Brothers!!! Norman Grant seems like his been on a mission for a long time and he aint ready to stop. Never seen the Twinkles live and been disappointed.
Semi-Decent

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:40 pm

depends on what you mean by "best".

personally i think capleton is incredibly boring so i dont think we are going to be going the same road on this one.

to me, i would probably say toots and the maytals though ive seen him/them so many times i dont really think to me they are the "best", but i imagine someone who is not overly familiar with their stuff might think so.

like i said, it all depends on what you mean by best...to me the best is an act that isnt an "act", that gets up there and does a heartfelt set.

i think i would put don carlos pretty close to the top using that criteria. brigadier jerry too. coco tea is a great singer and delivers everytime ive seen him.

but overall...don carlos.

some might say burning spear. some might say israel vibration. i think it all comes down to the definition of "best".

personally i was bored sh*tless last time i heard beres sounding like he was trying to squeeze out a fart.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:41 pm

twinkle bros...now theres one i can agree with.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Xacto Metro » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:50 pm

Beenie Man puts on one of the best performances I've seen.
Xacto Metro

Postby BMC » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:51 pm

I mean 'best' as in where you thought 'now this is a wicked show', 'better than the vast majority of shows'. Ofcourse taste in the style of the artist plays a major role, but that doesn't matter, it just means you enjoyed other shows better, so you name another one.

Of the ones you name Bill, I did never see Briggy (hope to one day). Saw Toots recently and even though he was allright, he doesn't even come close to being a contender for the best performer for me. Saw Twinkle Brothers too, didn't impress me too much. Cocoa and Don Carlos, yes, both wicked artists with wicked shows, agreed there. Capleton beats 'm all though. :wink:
Last edited by BMC on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMC

Postby BMC » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:54 pm

Xacto,

Hope to catch Beenie live one day. Last time he came to Amsterdam I missed him, so I'm still waiting for the first time seeing him. Most stories I heard of his performances where excellent.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:02 pm

My vote goes to Ras Michael. Each and every time he deleivered different vibes and feelings in spite of more or less same repertoire.
Anonymous

Postby Xacto Metro » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:05 pm

Foundation was like that for me, where I stood in awe soaking up the vibes. But they are no more.
Melodians too.

Johnny Osbourne, now that was a show!!! Best show I have ever seen I think. He pulled up No Ice Cream Sound like 5 times. Backed by the Fab 5 with Sugar Minott on backup vocals.
Everyone ran out of air, horn.
Xacto Metro

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:05 pm

While Im at that, same can be said for Skatalites from 60s till 90s...but they are the best Jamaican band ever.
Anonymous

Postby crazydownbeat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:19 pm

The Ethiopians were the best live band for me Leonard Dillons voice hasn't changed at all and you could tell he was enjoying the gig himself and not going through the motions like so many other bands seem to do.
C.D.
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby Semi-Decent » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:25 pm

Xacto,

Foundation - good one, fogot about them. We saw them in some airplane hanger about 7+ years ago and it was quite an experience. They had a good thing going - especially with live shows. Sadly, I heard that one of the Foundation guy has passed, but don't even know which one.

BMC - whaaa, Twinkles didn't do it for ya? (I think Capleton's been screaming at ya too long :wink: :lol: ) ;-) Reason I like Norman and the whole Twinkle crew - by the end of the show Norman Grant can make you feel 10 times better about a million different things.

At the last Twinkles show I was at - after the show, no one wanted to go home, the place was buzzing......and it was all because of Norman Grant's energy (and the great band, led by Dub Judah and Black Steel).

The same scene has happened at every Twinkle's show I've seen...
Semi-Decent

Postby Ekki » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:28 pm

:arrow: Zoki:
Maybe in an age where most of us don't have religion anymore, and the aspects of the "mystic experience" in our lives, reggae goes some way to making up for that loss, with its spirtual hypnotic depths....:roll:
...and Skatalites Live are the best :lol:
Ekki

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:50 pm

That's really wise words Ekki 2.

Just for your info, I think I got another 15 Skatalites live shows, and all of them are just great!

(One of my fav. is Alton Ellis w/Skatalites so i may send it to you next time).
Anonymous

Postby trinitymlk » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:06 am

I know I will catch a lot of crap from the elitists for saying this, but Midnite (from St. Croix) is putting on the best live shows these days.
I live in California, and have had the oppurtunity to catch a lot of live reggae in the past seven years, including everyone mentioned previously in this thread. I base my opinion on the 25+ Midnite shows I have taken in the last three years.
Midnite stands out because they only play original music, in a modern roots style they have pioneered. They will work with the audience, building up the vibes slowly, and then taking it to levels that other reggae groups don't even know about.
The vocalist, Vaughn Benjamin, will explode into lyrical onslaughts that other reggae artists couldn't even comprehend, let alone imitate. He will add freestyle verses to songs while singing live that don't exist on the studio versions.
Hopefully, everyone over in Europe will get a taste of some live Midnite soon enough. While I love their studio work, it is all about seeing them live.
-MK
trinitymlk

Next

Return to General discussion