UK sound info

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

UK sound info

Postby k zar » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:59 am

got a tape of GT sound running strict uk steppers. they got a real crucial singer, just brutal vocals "never in a million years"...can any english sound heads tell me more about this sound?? where are they from....story...still around, etc??

thanks
k zar
k zar

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:14 pm

Doesn't sound like it fits the decription but just in case.....

:?:
Anonymous

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:03 pm

Depending on how old the tape is, it may well be Great Tribulation which was a sound based in West London that former KISS FM dj Joey Jay was involved in. I remember seeing them at Notting Hill Carnival in the late 80's & they'd definitely fit the steppers selection described in your post. I don't think they're still going but I can't be absolutely sure. I believe Joey Jay moved to Ghana a few years ago but returns to London once a year for carnival where he plays on his brother Norman's Good Times sound (another GT but more soul oriented).
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:11 pm

This sounds a much likelier proposition RMS.

K zar - Joey Jay has put together a compilation on Trojan that might be of interest to you:
http://www.recordstore.co.uk/trojan/pro ... pLz9lBEd-1

Better Must Come - Delroy Wilson
I've Got Love - Leroy Smart
I Can't Wait Too Long - Barrington Levy
A Ruffer Version - The Aggrovators
False Leaders - Ronnie Davis
After All - John Holt
Concentration - Dennis Brown
Save Us Jah - Vernon Buckley
Wailing Of Black People - Velvet Shadows
Leggo Beast Dub - Gregory Isaacs

African Dub - The Silvertones
Talk About Love - Pat Kelly
Yim Mas Gan - Abyssinians
Give Thanks & Praise - Barry Brown
Crowded City - Messengers
Stop The War Now - Lloyd Parkes
People Make The World Go Round - Chosen Few
All We Need Is Love - Alton Ellis
Son Of Darth Vadar - Roots Radics
Rock Me In Dub - Thompsons All Stars
King Tubby's Special - King Tubby
Blazing Fire - Derek Morgan
Anonymous

Postby k zar » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:42 pm

yeah Joey Jay, that's it....thanks JW....i'd pin the tape down to early to mid 90s...he doesn't mention Great Tribulation, but calls his sound GT Sound....he does hail up Robert Tribulation and plays a Rod Taylor production of his... wonder if there's a connection. I'd love to know about singer tho....terrible terrible stuff. I thought it might be Paul Fox, 'cause at one point he drops a line from the tune Serious Time.
k zar

Postby k zar » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:46 pm

thanks baldhead...nice bit of info there...seems this is a pretty old set then....
k zar

Postby Liam » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:52 pm

It is deffo Joeys's sound. And that tune is Paul Fox, it was on his second album.
Liam

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:03 pm

In that case it'll be from when he simply called the sound GT which was in it's later incarnation with just Joey himself running the set. Robert Tribulation did used to play with him on occasions before starting his own sound. Singer could well have been Paul Fox, Joey used to promote him heavily at that time....
Reggaemusicstore

Postby k zar » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:59 pm

thanks all
k zar

Postby englishpound » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:44 am

Greetings KZar, wicked session Saturday night...FYI
Joey & Norman Jay's other brother, Paul (Sweet P) lives right here in T.O.
He runs some uk soul nights called Bass Clef once in a while...
some of you Londoners will remember Bass Clef soul jams from earlier days back in London... He does a radio show called the UK Spectrum, Saturday mornings from 8am to 10am on CKLN 88.1. Maybe you can link him up by phone and see if he has any info on Joey Jay's sound. I also heard that Joey moved to Ghana a little while back...Respect
Sat Sri Akal
englishpound

Postby k zar » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:26 am

yes peter...nice to see you and rocket come out waaay early saturday night....thanks for being patient while i got things together.

thanks for the info on paul jay....maybe i'll try and run him down

see you at the cloak this weekend maybe???
k zar

Postby englishpound » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:40 am

Respect KZar, I'll definitely try to reach the Boxing Day session ,however...wifeys telling me I've had my share of reggae jams for the month so well have to see about that one! Im due for a night out where she picks the venue and also the music...fright!!! (can u sense my enthusiasm) Ahhh the joys of marriage and de ting called "compromise". Love her same way still...Peace.
Sat Sri Akal
englishpound

Postby Mario 2 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:23 am

///got a tape of GT sound running strict uk steppers. they got a real crucial singer, just brutal vocals "never in a million years"...can any english sound heads tell me more about this sound?? where are they from....story...still around, etc?? ///

That is a Paul Fox tune, from the 2nd album, long long ago deleted. I think his first album was stronger, but I enjoy the 2nd album.

Paul Fox was largely ignored except by a small minority -- big mistake imho -- he had his own indivisual style. I liked his stuff. Quavery, delicate voice, no run of the mill cliched sound. Not technically accomplished imho, but that didnt matter-- he had his own style.
Mario 2

Return to General discussion