mannings / metro sound label - any info

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

mannings / metro sound label - any info

Postby John Eden » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:31 pm

Just given "Christmas is a rich man's dream" 12" by Mannings on the Metro Sound label its annual outing. Nice late 70s early 80s conscious thing. "Christmas is a rich man's treat, christmas is a poor man's dream"

Mannings sounds a bit like Horace Andy but I don't know anything about him. Label says produced by P Foster and Little Dread, Mixed in JA at Dynamic.

Anyone know anything else?
John Eden

Postby russ d » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:55 pm

i have `Prince Jnr & Mannings - Free Mandella` (Metrosound 12")...same producer etc credits....i think they`re a more mid 80`s era....i have a couple of other Prince Jnr tunes `Girl For All Seasons` (DJ`s Choise 12") produced by Gussie Clarke, likely `80 date or there abouts, and `Youth In The Street` (Youth Vibration 12") late 80`s...in the writer credits for this is the name `Anthony Mannings`...wether Prince Jnr and Anthony Mannings are one in the same i can`t say... what i can tell you is the Horace Andy sound alike is Prince Jnr....Shaka did some specials with him down at King Tubby`s at back end of 80`s just prior to Tubby`s death, over Shaka riddims (some of which appeared on `Dub Symphony`) mixed in Tubby`s studio, along with other artists like Willie Williams & Robert Lee, some ruff tunes....

the Metrosound label also issued the `Sword Of Jah Mouth - Invasion` album.
Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Twitter russ disciple: @russdisciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown
russ d

Postby John Eden » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:04 am

Nice one Russ - background info much appreciated from Backyard Movements... 8)
John Eden

Postby Rootsman » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:16 am

Metrosound was Peter Metro's label, they also released the sword of jah mouth LP. Next time I see Metro I will ask him about that era and those releases (and who Mannings was). I don't think that he and Prince Junior were the same person though. That Mannings 12" came out in the back end of 86 I think, I remember picking it up before it disappeared without trace. Didn't sell a bean but its a real killer, a very bitter take on the xmas spirit
Rootsman

Postby John Eden » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:27 am

Nice one Rootsman - was just listening to your remixes CD from the late 90s by coincidence.

The Peter Metro connection is interesting - thanks! You're right about the lyrics, there can't be many festive tunes with stuff about "slit bellies" and slave ships on them...
John Eden

Return to General discussion