Jah Nkrumah Manley Thomas

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jah Nkrumah Manley Thomas

Postby diana » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:07 pm

Is here anybody who knows this album : " Triston Palmer meets Jah Thomas in Disco Style Entertainment"- majestic reggae 1996? What do you think about it?
diana

Postby Fish » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:53 pm

It's a "showcase" style set with Tristan Palmer vocals followed by Jah Thomas toasts - they aren't true "discomixes," though, and sometimes the rhythm track underlying the Thomas toast is somewhat different than that used for the Palmer vocal (occasionally this is disappointing; the wicked "Shank I Shek" rhythm under Tristan's "Young Lover" isn't used for Thomas's toast, for example). In terms of musical quality, the set is solid: mostly a consistant "good/OK" level, with a few standout tracks and several more mediocre ones. I don't remember any of it being really unlistenable. If you like Jah Thomas productions (I do, just so you're warned) then you definately should pick it up; if you're sick of Radics recuts of the usual rhythms then you should probably skip it.
What about the half that's never been told?
Fish

Postby trinitymlk » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:39 pm

This one is a must.

This is the album that long ago turned my head on to DJ style and the concept of combination being stronger than version. I recommend grabbing this one up quick as these tunes are the pinnacle of the Midnight Rock productions, cleaned up and presented in top sound quality.

Me not so sure Bob died from the cansa,
Me say theres more question than answa... -MK
trinitymlk

Postby mghifi » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:52 pm

I agree with Fish. This one is ok but it is a modern cut and paste job on these tunes. Some work some don't.
mghifi

Return to General discussion