why do Trojan release albums like this?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby sylford » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:24 pm

The Dead or Pink Floyd reggaewise leaves me cold.Ditto for the Dylan thing. I agree Fairport has some of the best covers of Dylan, but I would like to direct you to a recent project at the site where I work. A channel of just Dylan covers, ranging from Industrial to Punk to Jazz artists. Not improvements on his songs, but pretty fun.

Site is currently free but you must provide credit card info to register. (I hope this is ok, kind of a commercial endorsement).

<www.bluebeat.com>

Don't be fooled by the name, it's not a ska-only site...
sylford

Postby Pluto » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:26 pm

jb welda wrote:ps: i dont think the sitar from within you without you was sampled...i think it was copied just like george h copied ravi shankar licks. thats why the song is called ravi shankar. i wouldnt be surprised that if the lick was really sampled it was sampled from a ravi shankar recording.

one love
jah bill

"Within You or Without You" was not sampled on the "Ravi Shankar" tune, but on another Dub Syndicate one called "Reggae Raga" (included on one of their "Classic Selection" compilations & also on the recent "Murder Tone" disc).

I didn't know that before Mario said it above, so I put the track to check it earlier, and it seemed to be a slowed-down sampling of the introduction of the Beatles song repeated throughout the track - it sounds nice, but I wouldn't realize the Beatles connection if I hadn't read it here.
Pluto

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:30 pm

i still dont think it was sampled...recreated maybe, but i think even on-u sound would be wary of outright sampling such a famous passage.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby giab » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:42 pm

i read an interview with AMS & he confirmed that he sampled Ravi Shankar using I think an Eventide Harmonizer
giab

Postby giab » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:56 pm

for the Ravi Shankar track that is.
Dunno about Reggae Ragga, but it does sound an awful lot like Within You Without You, & lets face it, do you really think The Beatles or their lawyers, listen to On U Sound Promo 10"s ?
giab

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:14 pm

>lets face it, do you really think The Beatles or their lawyers, listen to On
>U Sound Promo 10"s ?

i dunno, do you really think charlie pride or his lawyers listen to joe gibbs dreck?

the answer is: smart people wouldnt ask the question, they would recreate the sound for themselves (in the case of the beatles) or they would find a less familiar source to sample it from (in the case of ravi shankar). i think there would be no problem then and it would be an easy thing to do (to copy the riff without sampling it, or at least to copy a less known ravi shankar reading of it then the very famous george harrison attempt at "playing the sitar" (which i hold he didnt do very well at all)).

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby giab » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:42 pm

"i dunno, do you really think charlie pride or his lawyers listen to joe gibbs dreck? "

when it gets played on major radio stations in the states, yes
besides, that was a cover version, not a 2 or 3 second sample

"smart people wouldnt ask the question, they would recreate the sound for themselves"

indeed they would, but lazy people would just sample it

at the end of the day, we ain't gonna know unless we ask AMS
giab

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:38 am

< lets face it, do you really think The Beatles or their lawyers, listen to On U Sound Promo 10"s >

U2's label & Island Record's lawyers did notice the U2 spoof by the then obscure Negativeland from San Fran with all the unfortunate consequences thereof..

Anyone interested to read further on 'fair use' issues / sampling / copyrights & has lots of time to spare:

http://www.negativland.com/intprop.html
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:03 am

On the subject of Beatles cover versions.

I have in my poossession a version of 'We Can Work it out' sung by cats, dogs and chickens.

(And it'll clear a dancefloor quicker than turning on the house lights)
Anonymous

Postby Bob M » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:33 am

I can remember buying my brother a couple of albums of Grateful Dead songs covered by reggae artists. A bit hit and miss as I remember but I think there were a few nice tracks there. you just can't tell what something will be like until you hear it. I really like Grumpy's "Carnival Messiah" story - sounds very interesting!
Bob M

Previous

Return to General discussion