why do Trojan release albums like this?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

why do Trojan release albums like this?

Postby Mario 2 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:53 am

I've just seen Trojan are releasing yet another album with some title like " Beatles Tribute" , which collects very respectable and good reggae artists such as Ernest Ranglin, Bunny Lee etc, doing reggae covers of Beatles tunes....why?? and who buys this stuff? Confess....would you ever listen to an album of beatles covers done reggae style? I've never understood this phenomenon....

I do however, rate Delroy Wislon's covers of Elvis tunes! If it's Delroy, I find he can turn the most banal song into a thing of beauty, sadness and wonder....
Mario 2

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:58 am

you know the answer is "money", right? cash-ins like this give them more money to release quality albums for the cognoscenti between beatles tributes and skinhead party albums, and hey, maybe it'll convert a few
DrSuperlove

Postby Mario 2 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:04 am

yes, but who buys them? Im not attacking these albums, I'm simply curious as to who actually listens to them!

I'll be honest, I surprise myself sometimes, cos I find myself loving "sentimental" reggae versions of "First Cut is the Deepest" on Studio One, and even, yes, I have to say it, I like Sonya Spence's version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" ( Yikes!) and I like Delroy Wilson singing "Suspicion", so I certainly shouldn't throwing stones huh?

And didn't Dub Syndicate sample the Beatles on "Reggae Raga ? " ( I dunno which tune they sampled but it was one of those tunes by George Harrison with a sitar....they sampled it to good effect too imo )

But I do draw the line at buying these tribute albums!

How about the rest of you, or this a question too banal to answer???!!!!
Mario 2

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:21 am

Speaking of Beatles covers - I walked into a secondhand vinyl store recently only to hear the opening chords of "Norwegian Wood" played in a bluegrass style. Turned out the owner was playing some obscure battered old LP (didn't catch the group name but it was called On Beatle Street or something like that) which was entirely in this style...oddly enough it all kind of worked somehow, the owner was bemoaning that he wouldn't be able to let this one go :)
Ital Dokta

Postby Ras Berry » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:50 am

The people who infrequently frequent the Trojan board are the ones who buy these Beatles tribute albums - it's proper reggae, tha knows!

:D
Ras Berry

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:15 am

M2...the beatles cut sampled by the dub syndicate was 'within you without you' from the sgt. pepper's album.
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby James » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:52 am

Why was a reggae album of Dylan covers released last year? Bloody awful idea. The Heptones get away with I Shall Be Released (Studio One) and that's about it. Why was a 'Dub' version of Dark Side Of the Moon released? All these are totally ghastly concepts. As I think zoki memorably spoofed on the old board, why not do a reggae version of Handel's Mesiah or Wagner's the Ring? Such cross-genre covers are hideous and show a total lack of imagination and are clearly marketed at people with no respect for either genre and no real taste!! Stay away and leave alone!!
James

Postby tim p » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:15 am

tim p

Postby Grumpy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:20 am

James, "Carnival Messiah", which is a first rate theatrical spectacle, does just that. Put's Handel's Messiah into reggae and soul stylee. It's one of the best things I've ever seen at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds. Hearing, for example, "I know that my redeemer liveth" belted out in a soul gospel style is electrifying. But, yes, what on earth is gained by anyone - let alone reggae artists - covering Dylan? As I said on the old board, no-one does Dylan as well as Dylan (with individual exceptions such as the Neville Brothers "With God on our side" and "Ballad of Hollis Brown" and Fairport Convention's "I'll keep it with mine" - if that's the one I mean; oh yes and Jimi's "All along the watchtower" - but apart from that, stick with Dylan)
Grumpy

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:27 am

Because it will sell - the bottom line.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby ian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:28 pm

and also these covers collections get reviewed in papers and magazines whereas the great Trojan comps (Slim Smith, Delroy Wilson, Ken Parker etc..) don't!

also has anyone heard the Dylan lp? I've got a sort of morbid fascination to hear it just the once but can't bring myself to buy it cos I know it'll be ****!! :lol:
ian

Postby Ras Berry » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:11 pm

I quite enjoyed that "Dub Side Of The Moon" album - not half as bad as I thought it would be. That said, I was given my copy, I wouldn't have parted with my own hard-earned for it!

:)
Ras Berry

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:19 pm

the only quibble i have with "Is It Rolling, Bob?" is that except for Sizzla's Subterranean Homesick Blues everything is newly recorded in the same studio using the same session musicians for the purpose of making a Dylan tribute album and so the average Dylan and classic rock fan buying it will be affirmed in his belief that all reggae is lightweight and sounds the same probably not very keen on exploring the genre further

but

we do get a subtle reggae remix of "I and I" that replaces the 80's aesthetics of the original with a slight touch of dub improving it in the process, the cuts by Mighty Diamonds and Toots Hibbert won't rock your world but they're quite enjoyable and nothing is downright embarassing
DrSuperlove

Postby Mario 2 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:30 pm

I was sent both "Dark side" and the Bob Dylan covers albums....I didnt like either of them, but being honest, imo, neither were dreadful, neither were embarrasing imho, on the contrary, both I think were brave , well thought out attempts..and both featured very reasonable dub workouts, which represented very fairly the different studios where they were recorded....they wernt my cup of tea, but I think they were respectable efforts...we're not talking dreadful versions like Eric Claptons "I shot the sherrif" here...the dubs and studio sound on the dylan were pretty god really in their way...not duff weak bass crap...

....But having said that I would never play the bob dylan cover album or dark side in dub ! They just gather dust on my shelf now!
Mario 2

Postby jb welda » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:41 pm

they compile these to appeal to a larger audience than your typical reggae listeners...and then i bet they get no further purchases from those who do so. the exception would be those grateful dead dreck and the floyd thing...i think those actually get more people interested in reggae at least on a superficial level, and give the deadheads more opportunity to claim they know everything about everything.

ps: i dont think the sitar from within you without you was sampled...i think it was copied just like george h copied ravi shankar licks. thats why the song is called ravi shankar. i wouldnt be surprised that if the lick was really sampled it was sampled from a ravi shankar recording.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion