Dr. Who by Crystalites - riddim?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dr. Who by Crystalites - riddim?

Postby mike turner » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:11 am

Bongo Herman & Les - Dr. Who pt.1- Crystal- FDH 7134- Explosion- EX 2002-A

Bongo Herman & Les - Dr. Who pt.2- Crystal- FDH 7138- Explosion- EX 2002-B

Anyone know what was the vocal?

------------------------------------
.......From out of the unknown - here comes Doctor Who........
mike turner

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:24 am

Curious. Is it a pure instrumental track or is there some dejaying or a dejay intro? is it any good?
Chris

Postby mike turner » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:10 am

Has the spoken intro: "From out of the unknown - here comes... Doctor Who."

and then a dozen or so different vocal declamations dropping in...but overall rather sluggish tempo, skeletal instrumentation: guitar, bass and cowbells, with some one finger organ lines

not a great tune, but I'm sure I've heard an accompanying vocal, just can't place it
mike turner

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:06 am

Hi Mike,

I've just checked an Lp I thought the vocal may have been on, 'Sufferer' by the Kingstonians, but no luck, it was something else that the Lp The Undertaker and that Lp share.
I read the cd notes of the JA Gold Undertaker release where Harriot says that DR. Who was recorded especially for that Lp and was one of the first tunes cut.
Of course It may have been used for a vocal track later. It's very reminiscent of one or two of the basslines on the 'Sufferer' Lp though, maybe you should give that a listen to check your theories?

Someone on here should be able to help you, Try Contacting Charlie Reggae with a PM or e-mail, he's very knowledgable about stuff of this type, and gave me the Sufferer Lp too... nice bloke that he is..
Anonymous

Spoke to Charlie upon the phone...

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Hi Mike I spoke to Mr. Charlie Reggae on the phone tonight, I'd forgotten that his Broadband connection is going through some changes and he's offline. BUT he has an answer for you.

He says that the Vocal version is Keith and Tex's - 'Yah Yah Festival'

This was available on an Lp on Ja. Crystal label that came out in the late 90s according to Charlie the tune they recorded was derived from Derrick Harriot's own Rocksteady tune 'Tang Tang Festival'.

The Jamaicans 'Festival Spirit' was also a re-working of the same song (Yah Yah Festival that is).

He reeled this information off to me down the phone at the merest mention of Dr. Who and did it all while watching Armagideon on TV.. The Man's a saint..
Anonymous

Postby tim p » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:15 pm

Spot on!
tim p

Postby mike turner » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:52 pm

Charlie Reggae must have a huge auditory cortex......great work!
mike turner

Return to General discussion