FAO: Moderator

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: FAO: Moderator

Postby Novice » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:27 pm

JB, you've been on the wrong side of this for some time....you have on occasion waxed critical about artists only to do a 180, which of course is quite normal though I am confident you are not changing any opinion on Bad Brains based on your opinion being the same a few years ago on the topic and also at this age I doubt it is worth your while to get into an old punk/hardcore band. However, on that note, it is no one else's fault but your own for going to a Bad Brains show expecting reggae, yes they did some "reggae" but they were primarily a punk/hardcore band and are definitely more known for that and their shows are pretty well spoken of in terms of raw energy by those who attended. They definitely are not heavy metal and I think your reasons for disliking them in this post are idiotic though the response you gave a few years ago, something to the effect of "I just don't get it" was far more reasonable and made sense. Everything ain't for everybody but context and some history are somewhat relevant in this case.

Also, I was going to give the same response as you as far as being a nut then and is now until I read about his current condition which is in the link I posted. Basically he is suffering from a neurological brain condition called SUNCT I think it was which causes debilitating headaches and the condition is apparently nicknamed "suicide syndrome" with the reason being self-explanatory. Sympathy and empathy made me dial back my description, despite being a nutty nigga myself therefore being allowed by society to say the "N" word, Nutty.

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am

Well I have to agree with you about calling someone with a neurological disorder a "nut", so I should probably apologize for that slip. But I do remember the past and do recall some very questionable activities revolving around this outfit, that I witnessed in person, and that combined with the noise coming from their amplifiers made me wonder what exactly I was doing in that place, so I left. Then as now...at least I am consistent.

Why this is in some thread calling on the moderator to whine about real or imagined injustices, i will never know, although i am left with much the same feeling i had leaving a venue in the middle of a BB show, wondering to myself what i was doing wasting my time there.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby skunkride » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 am

Their reggae tunes suck but still a great band imho.

The Bad Brains documentary is fascinating, for me anyway :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRxTM8J4VUk
skunkride

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm

For once I'm glad not to have any idea what you're all talking about! :(
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:19 pm

And in that you should consider yourself blessed, Jah Glasses

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 pm

sorry, double post

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Slippery slope that JB, as far as any artist's personal lives and goings on being mixed into their music/art. I have not witnessed anything personally but I would be in no way surprised by anything you witnessed, my instincts are leaning towards what you are alluding and/or referring to, whatever that may be, but I'm not someone who's ever had any problem with adjusting my view on ANYONE, admired or not when something comes to light that should cause a reasonable person to rethink.
This is one of the many reasons why I'm not a big proponent of so much "behind the scenes" knowledge or too much personal information being too readily available about artists because of the old "never meet your heroes" saying because it can inevitably change your opinion about a particular art or expression of something that has little or no relevance to the thing being displayed. If, for example, a doctor who happens to find a cure for cancer just also happens to be a pedophile, would we then reject or boycott or be offended to use his cure for cancer? Of course not because every reasonable human being would separate the two because they wouldn't have anything to do with it each other, it would just be a despicable human being who also happened to have a brilliant mind for science/medicine. A moral dilemma, yes but a practical dilemma, no. The stakes are obviously higher with cancer cures vs. musicians/artists etc but I think the same concept should apply but it is VERY difficult to separate our beliefs and views from something and you have to consciously try to do it but it ends up being more work than it's worth most of the time so my solution is to just rid, or at least reduce, the conditions which cause for these situations to be prevalent, ie unnecessary personal background information which muddies things up.

"Why this is in some thread calling on the moderator to whine about real or imagined injustices, i will never know, although i am left with much the same feeling i had leaving a venue in the middle of a BB show, wondering to myself what i was doing wasting my time there."

I'm not sure why you consider a legitimate question to the moderator about having posts removed, which they were, as "whining" but so be it. I've incidentally resolved the issue in PM which I would have done initially but I quite honestly often forget the function exists. Also this is in this thread because that's what happened, the natural course or direction of the conversation went that way, not my preference in this instance but that's how it went and I followed suit as did you and anyone else who still remembers how an organic conversation without rigid guidelines goes and should go. I know it's practically impossible in a world of insidious technology which helps you with 3 things and harms you with 6 at the same time but it's ok. We can just go where the conversation takes us and if it matters enough it will eventually swing back to the start, you know how the road to the truth is long and winding and all that...it's not just lyrics or biblical versus, it can actually be applied.

I disagree Ranking Glasses, you shouldn't consider yourself blessed and you shouldn't be glad of ignorance, at best you should be neutral if it's a topic you aren't interested in.

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 pm

> i am left with much the same feeling i had leaving a venue in the middle of a BB show, wondering to myself what i was doing
>wasting my time there.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:42 am

I think it was a Dutch man who was walking through the woods one day and one of those prickly little balls stuck to his clothes. Most people would have done what most people do and just swiped it off with their hand but this man was the type of person who enjoyed wasting his time, based on that persistent catalyst for time wasting known as curiosity. Instead of not wasting his time and swiping the offending item from his person he decided to engage it and he even took it to his laboratory and decided to engage it even further and put it under a microscope to get a better look at it. This guy really liked wasting his time....well under the microscope he saw that the little prickly ends were actually hooking onto his garments like a chain link. This assh*le couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to KEEP on wasting his time with this thing that most people considered a nuisance and didn't give a second thought to but he was in a class by himself as far as beating a dead horse and eventually decided to take that waste of time and invent Velcro, based on what he observed under the micrscope.

It's a shame, if only for ironies sake how much time this dope wasted to invent a product that inevitably saved people so much time and made their lives easier and more convenient in the process while at the same time becoming a story to use as a metaphor for a dope on a message board to use to illustrate a point that will do no such thing but really only serve the only purpose metaphors seem to serve which is that they sound good in stories and quotes but nobody really gives a f*ck because you know, humans and all.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Novice wrote:I disagree Ranking Glasses, you shouldn't consider yourself blessed and you shouldn't be glad of ignorance, at best you should be neutral if it's a topic you aren't interested in.-Me-

It was just a joke.

I have little interest in meeting artists in real life as it would probably ruin the magic. Many veteran and newer artists visit my friend's little studio and if the stories are true, their actual personalities are quite different to how I imagined them to be in a lot of cases.

I know this may sound very odd but I don't even like live music that much. I'm not being racist but that was much more of a "European" thing while we listened more to sound systems. Of course things have changed completely now and live acts are very popular with all groups.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:51 pm

I know it was a joke but someone had to play the straight man and it's usually not me so don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Yes I too am familiar with how artists can be in real life and most of the time they are in their own bubble of existence almost to a point of being mentally retarded as to how regular folks live. However, I also put the blame on the people for projecting their own sh*t on to someone and expecting them to be or act a certain way because their art made them think or feel something and they mistook that for reality. It's art, that's what it's supposed to do, you're not supposed to bring it into the real world necessarily and expect it to hold true absolutely. This would be the mental retardation of the regular folks I suppose. I mean a plumber or a mechanic do wonderful things, they fix your bathrooms or kitchens or leaks and make your cars/trucks run which I find to be quite helpful but I don't then go around trying to find out what inspired them and what the hell they do on their personal time or what "projects" they are working on next. Or a better example might be doctors who I think objectively do more to help people than music/art could ever hope to but we don't go prying around in their lives.

Doesn't sound odd at all, I'm not big on live music myself though I could enjoy it if I happen to find myself somewhere with live music. Part of the reason might be that I don't really like big ass crowds though as they've always made me feel quite lonely, at best, and somewhat apprehensive/tense at worst because big mobs of people I more associate with bad things happening rather than good. I also would probably prefer a sound system style I think probably for the same reasons as you. There does seem to be much more emphasis by artist on live shows now a days but I'm chalking that up to it providing better revenue than album/download sales so it makes sense. The audience staring at their phones recording the show makes about as much sense as someone wiping their ass before they take a sh*t to "save time."

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Personally I would far prefer an artist backed by a competent dj with deep crates and a firm knowledge of their contents, than a luke warm, under rehearsed band (as they mostly seem to be over here). I have come to prefer the competent dj backing over even a competent band, to tell the truth. When a band is backing they often seem to want to get the attention on themselves and go into unnecessary pyrotechnics that pretty much make me lose interest, while with the selector, the focus is much more on the artist. And it strips bare their talent as well, which can be kind of embarrassing to witness sometimes.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:36 pm

There are / have been some incredible bands and Burning Spear is the best I've heard by a mile (not sure who all the musicians were when they used to play at the Notting Hill Carnival?) . Aswad was also very good. However, bands sometimes sound noisy to me and they often fall into the trap of playing too quickly which ruins the vibe.

I suppose we should support live performances because with so many people downloading music for free nowadays, artists depend on stage shows for money.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm

There are "bands" who are in the artist's constant employ, like the Burning Band used to be with spear, or sly and Robbie with black uhuru, or roots radics with Gregory isaacs, and of course they are beyond competent, since they back the artist night after night and in some cases in the studio as well. What I was referring to is the ever more common situation: the band got told yesterday they were going to back the artist, all except their bass player who the artist hates, so they go find another overnight and then if they are lucky they run through a couple of the artists "greatest hits" and hit the stage. They are getting paid next to nothing, so they cannot really expend the energy to get it together plus there just isn't physically the time to do so before they are scheduled on stage. And no they cannot hire a horn section, that costs money, so the keyboard spends its time mimicking the horn lines instead of contributing to the rhythm or something. And they don't fool anyone, that is how they sound. Like crap. Like any selector worth his salt would be far better. Kind of the Chuck Berry school of hiring backing bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWu4peTI3Y

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Yes, I have heard a few of those over the years! It takes a lot of organisation and expenditure to put a competent and well rehearsed band together. There is also a huge cost involved in transporting the band and all their equipment.

One thing I really hated was the infamous "PA" (personal appearance). This is where there was usually no band at all and the artist would sing a few of their popular songs over the B side of their record. The problem was the artist would invariably show up late, the record didn't have a B side so they would sing over their own vocals or the artist didn't show up at all often because they were never booked in the first place! Of all the under-hand and unprofessional practices I've seen this has go to be up there with the worst.
Ranking Glasses

Previous

Return to General discussion