Style Over Substance?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Style Over Substance?

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm

No it does not necessarily make talented and creative artists stand out, talented and creative artists will stand out regardless. What it does do is lower our expectations and bar to the point that otherwise adequate artists may appear more than adequate by comparison and/or relative to the shittpile. This is a general observation and not an opinion on Samory-I.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Harsh but there's some truth in what you say.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Some? Where is the truth lacking, point it out and I will make adjustments accordingly.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:18 pm

Some talented artists are more than adequate while others are not.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:38 pm

And who are some of these talented artists that are merely adequate?

Unless of course you consider "talent" to be defined as anyone who can merely DO the thing they are doing without not being able to do it.

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 pm

>And who are some of these talented artists that are merely adequate?

I think that description would cover a whole range of modern day artists, the majority in fact. Most of those new roots guys strike me that way. What I mean is they have the potential to be great but they just haven't reached that point in their growth and development. And they rely too much on gimmicks (auto tune for instance) or synth-washed riddims that rinse the soul right out of the music, instead of concentrating on writing good songs and performing them well, and most of all, maintaining a real connection to roots reggae music instead of going off into hip hop or even Cali roots style.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 pm

I take your point JB, but I guess it would come down to how you define talent, I am not including potential for greatness in my definition only because if we considered all the un-reached potential of the people of the world the number would be high enough to make any reasonable person change the parameters of how they define talent. For my evidence I will point towards virtually any book by Malcolm Gladwell as evidence for my views. He is coincidentally Jamaican.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 pm

I agree with the points made, and is it also a case of supply and demand, i.e. artists are supplying what people want rather than following their own path / talent?
Ranking Glasses

Previous

Return to General discussion