If you are a music fan and concerned about the environment

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

If you are a music fan and concerned about the environment

Postby Tune In 2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:03 pm

If you are a music fan and concerned about the environment, it’s time to move on from vinyl LPs, CDs, and cassettes and just go digital!
THE ENVIRONMENTAL CASE AGAINST THE PHYSICAL SALES OF MUSIC
http://byrnebridges.com/2017/07/just-go-digital/
Tune In 2

Re: If you are a music fan and concerned about the environme

Postby zonard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 am

I was expecting an analysis between LP's & digital, but on a full cycle "raw materials to raw materials", which is imo the only way to correctly compare technologies in terms of environment.
A 100 years time frame would be the minimum.

LP's : extract raw materials, create manufacturing equipement + LP raw materials + energy for manufacturing + energy for 100 years storage + energy to recycle waste => return to "raw materials"
Digital : extract raw materials, create hardware components, computers & networks + maintain these equipement working for 100 years (spare parts + energy) + enregy to recycle hardware equipement => return to "raw materials"

I'm quite sure the result would be the opposite, and WAY in favor of LP's.

This article completely miss the point by ommitting the most important : we need to store the musical information for ages, otherwise we would just not need it !
zonard

Re: If you are a music fan and concerned about the environme

Postby John Eden » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm

There are pros and cons and people draw the line at different places.

I buy less vinyl these days anyway for many reasons and the days of ordering boxes of tunes to be flown from the other side of the world are long gone.

We all probably have enough music already if we’re honest but it’s not like buying the odd album (in any format) is the biggest crime against the planet any of us commit.

I’m lucky enough to be doing a transatlantic flight next week - that will make the ethics of my music consumption look positively saintly.
John Eden

Return to General discussion