Violence in Jamaica

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Violence in Jamaica

Postby drwatts53 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:42 pm

"Jamaica experiences twice as many murders in an average year than Britain, even though the UK has a population 20 times higher. Last year the country recorded 1,616 murders, the highest in six years and equivalent to 31 a week, as the homicide rate rocketed by 20% in just 12 months. So far in 2018 there have been more than 600 killings, mainly linked to gang activity, yet only 44% of homicides result in arrests."

Returning OAPs are especially at risk: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... say-police
drwatts53

Re: Violence in Jamaica

Postby Animist Roots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Corruption is the root of all evil...
There's a French Mc called Kery James, in one of his songs he says this: for you decolonializing really means destabilize...
Animist Roots

Postby lankou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Greed, materialism, lack of righteousness and proper education, plus the power of easy money are the roots of all evil! They are what bring corruption.
JA has been "independent" for almost 56 years, a bit long for a decolonization process, isn't it?
lankou

Postby drwatts53 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:35 pm

lankou wrote:JA has been "independent" for almost 56 years, a bit long for a decolonization process, isn't it?

Read this recent article on continuing economic colonialism in Jamaica http://atlantablackstar.com/2018/01/02/ ... orld-bank/

And then watch the documentary it refers to, Life and Debt, which is still very relevant seventeen years later http://www.documentarytube.com/videos/l ... bt-jamaica .

Once seen, never forgotten.
drwatts53

Postby lankou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 pm

True, i have seen Life & Debt but had forgotten about it. The dealings of JA governments with the IMF can't be denied. And i'm also aware that JA's government is selling land to the Chinese.
Still, there are countries who just told the IMF to go to hell, like Argentina - and Iceland did the same to a number of banks (of course, i probably over-simplify but, by and large, it happened, though Argentina then sold its soul to US food corporations). Anyway, a country which doesn't invest in its talents and its youths is always bound to fail ; look what type of people become role models in the end!
lankou

Postby drwatts53 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:59 pm

drwatts53 wrote:Once seen, never forgotten.

lankou wrote:True, i have seen Life & Debt but had forgotten about it.

Never forgotten in the sense of "never forgotten once brought to mind". Obviously not in the sense of remembering it all the time :wink:
drwatts53

Postby Animist Roots » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 pm

Noam Chomsky said in a relatively recent interview: '' Slavery didn't disappeared, slavery just changed it's nature'', and i would like to add a quote from one of the biggest hits by Johnny Osbourne: '' The truth is there for who have eyes to see''.

Thanks for the info, i'm gonna take a look to that Life & Debt Doc.
Animist Roots

Postby Donovan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 am

This might be a controversial question, but it's just a thought experiment, nothing else. If Norman Manley (and his generation) could have seen the future, do you think they would have continued to push for independence?

Chalk it up to cruel fate that the UK's fortunes rocketed upwards shortly after shedding many of it's colonial responsibilities, thanks largely due to North Sea Oil.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby The Guardian » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 pm

North sea oil didn't really start making money until 1980 when Britain was in recession. Margaret Thatcher wasted it all, giving tax cuts to the rich.
The Guardian

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:01 am

Notwithstanding the reasons given above, from my own experience and observations much of the fussing and eventual violence in Jamaica is caused by gossip. It's the national pastime in JA and can be spiteful and vicious. Gossip has caused huge problems in my family resulting in knives being drawn and close family members not speaking to each other for years. I was threatened with violence in JA by a cousin because 'someone' said I said something about him. It's one of the factors that has put me off returning to JA because everyone has a cell phone now so the spread of gossip is faster than ever.

PS: I feel embarrassed posting this but it's the truth.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Ranking, having worked with people from wide ranging demographics from privileged white folk to "hood niggas" as they were un-affectionately or at times affectionately referred to by reformed "hood niggas" I've experienced up close and in detail differences and similarities with various races and cultures and though the information at first suggests obvious differences, further review reveals more similarities with different details, importance or value given to those details and how they are incorporated in their lives.

I agree with you that gossip or talking sh*t can cause a lot of problems and much of that is not only because of gossip but there is huge element of respect/disrespect that plays into it. There is also insecurity, machismo and a general sense of needing to be respected or more correctly not disrespected that plays into it. The gossip on it's own would be powerless without the prerequisites or underlying issues to act as the propellant to weaponize the gossip. You also need to care, really care what others think which would go along with the insecurity factor. I've found that healthy, happy, wealthy or comfortable people are far less affected by gossip than ones who are not.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Novice wrote: I've found that healthy, happy, wealthy or comfortable people are far less affected by gossip than ones who are not.-Me-

Really? Have you not watched the Real Housewives of Cheshire, New York, Atlanta, New Jersey, Orange County, etc?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes I have watched those shows and though they have 1 of the 4 items I mentioned, that being wealth, I think we all know wealth does necessarily provide happiness, health and comfort and in fact, to your point along with mine, wealth without the other 3 items seems to cause MORE of the problems I previously was relating to people of lesser means. "Idle hands" don't seem to discriminate between the rich and poor.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 am

Yeah, the Real Housewives gossip and argue a lot but they don't kill each other over what seems to us - nothing. It seems that many people in JA don't like to see anyone do or achieve anything. Instead of supporting them they are jealous and envious and can't wait for them to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclsOwc-20I

They often say when there is a murder in London that it's due to gang violence and it is sometimes or because of mental health issues or drugs. However, a lot of the time it's due to petty squabbles, gossiping, talking behind someone's back, etc. My friend Gabby was killed over this type of thing. As you say, there is a big problem with respect / disrespect. I suspect that they often want to be feared rather than respected.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

"I suspect that they often want to be feared rather than respected."

Well I'm assuming the are equating being feared with being respected, an ignorant correlation based on what I mentioned earlier, insecurity. Also when you feel small or powerless or your social status in life has you in that position, you will grab onto any piece of strength or power to feel some sense of worth or to just "pick you up." Sure to the well adjusted it seems silly or destructive but under the same circumstances many would behave the same. Just look at prisons as prime example, you may go in one way but you RARELY, if ever will stay the same way or come out the same way.

Peer pressure and cultural pressure is a bitch too. Some of my co-workers were taken aback by how I acted or talked, quite freely about any and every subject, they usually think I'm strange or any other adjective they apply because they are not in a circumstance in their lives where they could. A positive outcome of my terrorist like approach to conversations and thinking and talking and my compulsiveness with it is that eventually people get accustomed to it and desensitized and their preconceived notions would break down because quite frankly it would be fun and interactive and freeing. Eventually everyone came around and many of the coworkers would talk about topics and things that they would not in their neighborhoods or could not because it could quite literally get them in trouble. It was freeing and fun and they get to get away from the PRESSURE that's always present. It's a long process but when it happens, some of that "respect" crap gets broken down, they don't feel the need to always be on the look out for it or take any indiscretion as a disrespectful slight, at least in the comfort of work, yea they still had to keep it the way they were where they lived but hey a little relief is better to you know.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ4n51pei2U

-Me-
Novice

Return to General discussion