The sound of a defective vynil

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The sound of a defective vynil

Postby Animist Roots » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:05 pm

First of all, greetings to all BAF users. This is my first post.

I've noticed some vinyls present a recurrent and rhythmical distortion when bass and drums hit together, an ugly distorion. Is this an unequivocal sign of defective pressing? Vinyls look nice and clean, almost unplayed. Based on your experience, what kind of different anomalies do you find in defective vinyls?

I've been learning very interesting things reading this forum, i salute you all.
Animist Roots

Re: The sound of a defective vynil

Postby drwatts53 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 am

Welcome aboard. You ask whether the sort of distortion you hear sometimes is an unequivocal sign of defective pressing. It could be, but it could also be a problem with the equipment used - badly set-up or low-quality stylus/needle, tonearm etc, even a dirty needle. Have you heard the same distortion on different equipment?
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 am

Studio 1 recordings are very hit and miss. I really hate when the vocals are very low such as several of the Sugar Minott songs.

Shaka dub LPs can sound very "airy" without a depth of bass.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Animist Roots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm

drwatts53 wrote:Welcome aboard. You ask whether the sort of distortion you hear sometimes is an unequivocal sign of defective pressing. It could be, but it could also be a problem with the equipment used - badly set-up or low-quality stylus/needle, tonearm etc, even a dirty needle. Have you heard the same distortion on different equipment?

Ty. Still didn't test it in another equipment, i'm gonna give a try. Anyway i wonder why some vinyls play excellent in the same equipment, while others show this bizarre distortion, plus bizarre skips.

I've heard Sugar Minott's Live loving pressing is horrible, why do they go ahead with defective pressings? There was no previous testing in that times?
Animist Roots

Return to General discussion