Reggae laserdiscs

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Reggae laserdiscs

Postby Novice » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm

LOL, fukcing hell!!

I worked in a video store for many many years and we had a lazer disc player there that became mine for a short period until I sold it and the quality was a little better than VHS but not enough to change people over to the ridiculously large format and logistics that day to day watching would cause. As for the sound I couldn't say as it all sounded the same on my 13" tube tv at the time. Unfortunately I don't think any lazer discs would be worth anything in any way shape or form at this point aside from being a museum archive.

That being said, I don't think anyone really rocks 78"s anymore but this guy, Joe Bussard aka King of 78's collection is mighty mighty impressive by any standard...check it..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d99U_53k6s 25,000 78's....CRAZY! This is just a clip but I saw a full documentary on him years ago which was good fun, he's a wealth of knowledge and a jolly old fellow too..

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ras Berry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Perhaps Glasses and jj "bands of steel" could fly out at the same time and you could all have a meet up - three big bull inna the one pen. And a fourth person to record it all for posterity, I suppose. Could do with a good laugh right now

8)
Ras Berry

Postby Tomcat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 am

I started to buy vinyl because it was cheaper than CD. In the period between 2001 - 2006 I picked up most of my collection , with some gems, all pretty much for under a tenner. This was before digital got niche and you could get the likes of the first Jah Tubbys presses for £1.

CDs were more expensive and there was less choice. When I got a proper record player vinyl became my choice , though when that started to get silly in the late naughties I started to buy CD again, now because it's a digital format often cheaper than download.

Swings and roundabouts but if I have the time I will always opt for vinyl.

I don't have any laser discs. Lots of recordings on MD though of prirate radio from Wolverhampton when Skyline ruled supreme.

Take care, stop fighting so early in the morning

T
Tomcat

Postby Dread Archive » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 am

It has got to be analogue vinyl not digital made vinyl. New tunes on vinyl these days are so expensive.

Time to get off the 4/4 beat.

I am so far removed from all the badly made so called reggae tunes coming out over the past 10 years.

Also remember to take a shower before you go to a dance since everyone waves their hands in the air like they just don't care.

Reggae has lost its culture & Jah is getting bored.
Dread Archive

Postby Peacemakeya » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:17 am

DA say:

I am so far removed from all the badly made so called reggae tunes coming out over the past 10 years.

agreed

DA say:

Time to get off the 4/4 beat.

2/4 backbeat still supposed to rock ... is just the follow fashion monkeys who loose the fire in dem belly go soft

from the booklet accompanying the Shanachie 3CD box set "Dread Prophesy - The Strange and Wonderful Story of Yabby You"
http://bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45130

One time in the ghetto Yabby was cornered by a set of fiesta rasta youth intent on violence. They threatened Yabby:

"What the man a deal with? Ya disrespect His Imperial Mahhhjjjjjjjesty ily i Selassie i

Bob Marley the biggest thing in the world. Rasta gone clear. Jamaica gone clear!"

Yabby replied in a way that silences even the haters: "Youths, you don't know what you say. Jamaicans a cursed people. We were torn off our African roots, suffered thru the middle passage, grinded thru 400 years of slavery and now we grinded between the ras fairytale and the church people."

The youths were silenced and they slinked away.

DA say:

Also remember to take a shower before you go to a dance since everyone waves their hands in the air like they just don't care.

Yea something stank and neither the ballad style imitators with fairytale religion nor the belly growl dunceHELL haters ain't the reggae inheritor

ps: As a representative of the generation: Bob had time on his death bed to have a change of heart and he agreed with Yabby, although that part of the story slow to be known. Peter Tosh didn't have time to mature because he went out in a flash of gun powder. The surviving Wailer who sing: "Bright soul bright soul ya reach the River Jordan and you turn back now." Now he himself turn back now ... go upon stage in purple robe with gold trim bragging "I am the Emperor of reggae music." Perhaps be good if he take a fast off the ganj and peni the times.

Yabby say:

"Them deceived and become deceivers"
Peacemakeya

Postby Novice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Peacemakeya, I'll bite....what the fukc are you talking about?

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Ras Berry, my friend, I am not really interested in fighting anyone but I am definitely not interested in being made the butt of comments from those who would keep me from voicing my opinion, particularly those with a seemingly weak grasp of reality. I will defend myself, in writing, or in person, from any such comments, though of course I realize someone over there is not going to take me up on the invitation. And if they did, we would much more likely end up smoking a spliff and concentrating on our similarities than our differences. It just doesn't seem like that in writing sometimes.

As for Bob Marley and his deathbed "conversion", i personally would not put any stock in anything anyone says on their deathbed, rather i would hold close their thoughts and words and actions during their better times. And Peter Tosh pretty much asked for it during his years in the limelight and his arrogance led to his demise, if you ask me. I also believe cocaine was behind most of the problems he suffered.

Ah but laserdiscs...they never really got anywhere for many of the reasons Novice said.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Animist Roots » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 pm

I feel like Gandalf burning his chalice in Bilbo's farewell.
Animist Roots

Postby yms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:00 pm

yms

Postby Peacemakeya » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Novice say:

I'll bite....what the fukc are you talking about?

Thing about spelling mistakes.
Sometimes you mix up a couple of letters
and your post is urined
:)
Peacemakeya

Postby Novice » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 am

I hear ya Peacemakeya but this site doesn't like proper spelling if it ain't a "proper" word like **** and to see what's behind those asterisks, see original typo and the reason for the typo. :D

I don't think you meant to but "Urine" is/was a nom de plum of mine so I guess it was "urine'd"

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:24 am

I have to say that was pretty clever, peacemaker, that part about "urined".

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Dread Archive » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 am

So reggae laserdiscs are full of p*ss !!! Or is it the posters !!!! Off topic on the ones & twos !!
Dread Archive

Postby Novice » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Dread Archive wrote:So reggae laserdiscs are full of p*ss !!! Or is it the posters !!!! Off topic on the ones & twos !!

Orrrr, Earl's dics, both one and two could be the things full of p*ss......

Anyone seen my coat??

-Me-
Novice

Postby B&F Moderator » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:58 am

Alright folks, thanks for the glimpse to those good old B&F forum days...now, please behave.
B&F Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion