Discogs postage costs- is this reasonable?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Discogs postage costs- is this reasonable?

Postby dj745 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Buying a 12" from a U.K. Seller on discogs (I'm based in the U.K. too)- record is a new release priced at £12, shipping cost has been calculated as £9.50- personally I think that's extortionate-am I missing something here?
dj745

Re: Discogs postage costs- is this reasonable?

Postby yms » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Was the postage cost not clearly stated prior to you ordering?
yms

Postby Tune In 2 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Are you getting special delivery ?

These are the Prices Dub Vendor charge for one 12 inch/ LP record

Delivery Options

UK 1st Class Delivery (for UK orders only) £2.80

UK SPECIAL DELIVERY (for UK orders only) £9.80

UK Recorded (We record all UK orders above £50) £4.00
Tune In 2

Postby dj745 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:35 pm

No the shipping cost was not clearly stated- I had the option from buying the record from a number of sellers in the U.K. And Europe and presumed the U.K. Seller would have a cheaper shipping cost

Thanks for the info on dub vendor shipping costs

Looks like I need to do some more homework before using discogs
dj745

Postby dj745 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 pm

No the shipping cost was not clearly stated- I had the option from buying the record from a number of sellers in the U.K. And Europe and presumed the U.K. Seller would have a cheaper shipping cost

Thanks for the info on dub vendor shipping costs

Looks like I need to do some more homework before using discogs
dj745

Postby Dubba » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I had somebody try and charge me £5.50 for a 7” on Discogs a few weeks ago. I promptly told him where to shove his record, although I really wanted the tune. I’d just request that he cancel the order and buy a copy from a seller with normal postage charges. Think the guy I had to cancel was called nattydread111.
Dubba

Postby Dubba » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 pm

yms wrote:Was the postage cost not clearly stated prior to you ordering?

The guy I bought off simply said “ normal shipping costs” for his listing. Sadly nothing normal when I got the invoice.
Dubba

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Is it being sent by courier? If not and it's not special delivery or signed for, you should ask the seller how he arrived at that price and tell him from me that him too damn teef.
Ranking Glasses

Postby yms » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:46 pm

First lesson of any online purchase, ensure you are fully awareof postage before buying. Your seller may use a particular corrier or special delivery as above. You have no comeback at all, if it wasn't stated you should have checked first. It makes F all difference what the people on a reggae forum think, you should have asked.
yms

Postby dj745 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 pm

yms wrote:First lesson of any online purchase, ensure you are fully awareof postage before buying. Your seller may use a particular corrier or special delivery as above. You have no comeback at all, if it wasn't stated you should have checked first. It makes F all difference what the people on a reggae forum think, you should have asked.

True but i just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious despite buying records for 25+ years but these fees just take the mick- on further research I think that the seller is based in Italy although the listing clearly lists as being in the U.K. Which may explain how the shipping fee has been calculated. I dread to think what fees we will be charged when brexit kicks in

I'm at the point where the physical cost of vinyl these days plus extortionate shipping means that it is unviable to keep buying vinyl
dj745

Return to General discussion