Records you regret not buying when you had the chance

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Records you regret not buying when you had the chance

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 am

This morning, I finally got hold of a copy of Jah 9's 'New Name' album on Cd, after it seems not to have been available for a few years - and even then only briefly. (it is now back in stock at Dub Vendor). I am pretty sure it never came out on vinyl.

I've always told myself - even, or especially when I've been spending a lot on music, that I only ever regret the music I didn't buy and not what I have bought - though of course, like everyone, I've purchased a few duds.
Buying the Jah 9 reminded me that one of my big not buying a record when I had the chance regrets is misisng out on her brilliant Steamers a Bubble seven inch, with the dub on the flip. When it came out, it seemed to coincide with the time (around four or five years ago) when the price of new vinyl seemed to be leaping up. I think the tune was around £15 which I foolishly balked at at the time, because now people are asking a ridiculous £80 for on Discogs. I couldn't bring myself to pay that even if I could afford to.

So yes, a regret that sticks out. Anyone else have any they'd like to share?
Last edited by Reggie Love on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reggie Love

Re: Records you regret not buying when you had the chance

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:02 am

Dubplate of Horace Ferguson's Sensi Addict for £5.
Sound quality was awful but I should have bought it.
Ranking Glasses

Postby slengteng » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am

Pupajim - Mr Bossman/Dancehall Scientist, last copies available at 12€. I was so broke a that time. Now selling for 50€...

Watty Burnett - Too Late, selling at 65€... now going for more dunza...
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby John Eden » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:11 pm

I regret not buying more Blood & Fire releases when they were about.

And I regret not buying a Scientist LP in the mid 80s when I first saw it in the racks as that would probably have speeded up me getting into all this stuff.

Other than that there are tunes and LPs and whatever that I didn't buy but I already have more vinyl than I can sensibly listen to anyway.
John Eden

Postby capullo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:45 pm

i regret not having bought a bunch of super shiny and really well kept after 7inches a man offered me in the streets in kingston last february. he was on his way to a record shop to sell the lot. i wore a t-shirt "jamaica dubwise" so he approached me. 60 year old man with spliff tail in mouth "jus' gimmie sumpn', jus' gimmie sumpn'" plastic bag with approx. 60 7inches. as i left kingston that day for a trip to port antonio and didn't carry enough money - whatever he would have asked for, i don't know - i was not interested. i could have easily picked up some money at an ATM, buy the whole lot for an easy but still fair price for him, leave it at the hotel and pick it up a week later but my brain didn't work good enough. no doubt there were some gems amongst them. i had a short glance at all the labels and it was all 70's stuff. i really regretted already a day later how stupid i was.
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Something was telling you instinctively not to trust this man. He could have been waiting for you to produce your money before robbing you or worse. You should trust your instincts. Nothing wrong with that.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 pm

no suh! bright open street uptown kingston (near half way tree) just in front of the reggae hostel. the record store is just a 5 min. walk away from where i met him. the situation was all relaxed and nice. it was just me not reacting wise enough. my instinct wasn't even activated in terms of danger. there was nothing wrong with the man. just me :D
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:33 am

He could have just stolen them and if you bought them you could have been attacked by an angry mob shouting: "Teef, Teef".
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

yes, ranking glasses, that sounds like what could have happened! glad i put down his offer! or imagine when going to the next ATM a lightning struck or a big hole opens suddenly under my feet. always have to be on your guard in jamaica!
capullo

Return to General discussion