CD versions of songs sometimes contain different mixes

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

CD versions of songs sometimes contain different mixes

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Noticed quite a few reggae CDs contain different mixes to the normal mix of the same song. Sometimes the CD release even has the 12 inch version on it or even a totally different unheard mix.

Has anybody else noticed this?
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Re: CD versions of songs sometimes contain different mixes

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Do you mean a title that is released simultaneoulsy on both formats and where one of the tracks in the main progam is different (so that you'd need both formats to get all versions)? Because obvioulsy a lot of CDs have bonus tracks that are alternate versions, and also there are albums that are released on CD only and use new mixes (so there's no exact LP counterpart).

The Pressure Sounds releases of Israel Vibration The Same Song are like this, where the title track is an extended version at the start of the CD and the "regular" version is only on the LP. This is rather unusual I would say, the more common thing would be to add any extended versions as bonus tracks and keep the "regular" version as part of the main album.
99thfloor

Postby itsmeagain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 am

I immediately thought of Israel Vibration when reading the OP.
Thanks 99th floor.
itsmeagain

Postby Benj65 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Oh yes indeed I have noticed as I only play CDs and my vinyl friends are sometimes a bit startled at what comes out of the speakers. I am listening to an Augustus Pablo comp at the moment with 4 x 12" mixes sprinkled through it (Augustus Pablo "Skanking Easy" - METSL045 - 2012). Awful good.

I bought another comp with Night Nurse on it, didn't bother listening to it thinking it was the same old, but it turned out to be the Gussie Clarke digital re-cut. Which I quite like. Didn't even know it existed. (V/A "Total Reggae: Summer Vibes" - VPCD2484 - 2014)

I've been trying to tell people this for a while - collecting reggae on CD is NOT a mug's game - plenty out there. Prices are shooting up for out of print CDs too - seems to have been from 2014 or so.

Buying 2nd hand is better than vinyl, surely, I've never had a scratched or unplayable one yet, just the occasional cracked case.
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby jb welda » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm

But they just don't have the "sound"...chimes in the chorus.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 pm

But if the CD does not have an LP counterpart and/or is not a reissue of an eariler album or compilation then there is nothing it can be different to.

If you would reissue the Night Nurse album and use the extended version of the title track then it's different (to the original), or if the upcoming Ikon compilation would use the extended version on a CD but have an LP counterpart that has the album version then they're different (to each other).
99thfloor

Re: CD Sounds Like...?

Postby Benj65 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am

The 'sound' of CDs vs vinyl... that's an interesting topic.

If you spend a bit of money on a decent DAC (say $500+, j b - I spent c.$700 on a Rega DAC-R for example) and have v reliable CD reader (I use a TASCAM CD-240), you can get a pretty good sound via a digital out through a great tube/valve pre-amp and speakers + sub, IMHO.

I get that the mastering of some CDs is not the best, but then the same could be said of vinyl. The system I listen to is capable of differentiating between good and bad sounding CDs, but I might just be imagining it, of course.

Music first, format second.
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby Reggie Love » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am

I totally agree with your posts about cds, Ben - much cheaper and you often end up with extra tracks. And like you say, there is definitely such a thing as rare cd when it comes to reggae.

As a bonus, your first post prompted me to pick up that Pablo double cd compilation (for less than a fiver) because I realised there was a few extended mixes on their I didn't already have.
Reggie Love

Re: Skanking Easy

Postby Benj65 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am

That's great Reggie, I'm glad you bought it and I hope you enjoy it half as much as I.

My mate Clive has been banging on about this comp for months, finally bought it only yesterday at HMV Westfield East (sadly, as they had a pretty decent reggae selection, closing next week).

CD2 is a tour de force of selection I am finding - spiritual music of the highest order:

1. Each One Teach One (Jacob Miller) (12" mix)
2. Skanking Easy
3. Havendale Rock (Skanking Easy rhythm)
4. Stop Them Jah / Dub Dem Jah (Hugh Mundell / Rockers All Stars)
5. Israel In Harmony / Israel Dub (12" mix)
6. Robin's Bay Step / Robin's Bay Step Dub (12" mix)
7. Zion Hill
8. New Style
9. Pablo's Theme Song
10. Islington Rock (12" mix)
11. King Of The Minstrel
12. Fox Hole / Son Of Man Dub (Delroy Williams / Rockers All Stars)
13. Park Lane Special
Cheers!

Ben
Benj65

Postby jb welda » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Someone's satire filter is not functioning very well.

That was my point many years ago and I was roundly jeered at, around here particularly. And then it became apparent some here actually pay to have their CDs cut onto "dubplates", so they would be "authentic".

At that point it was my sense of humor that was challenged.

Anyone want to pay big money for vintage rare CDs, get hold of me, i got shelves full.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Benj65 wrote:Oh yes indeed I have noticed as I only play CDs and my vinyl friends are sometimes a bit startled at what comes out of the speakers. I am listening to an Augustus Pablo comp at the moment with 4 x 12" mixes sprinkled through it (Augustus Pablo "Skanking Easy" - METSL045 - 2012). Awful good.

I bought another comp with Night Nurse on it, didn't bother listening to it thinking it was the same old, but it turned out to be the Gussie Clarke digital re-cut. Which I quite like. Didn't even know it existed. (V/A "Total Reggae: Summer Vibes" - VPCD2484 - 2014)

I've been trying to tell people this for a while - collecting reggae on CD is NOT a mug's game - plenty out there. Prices are shooting up for out of print CDs too - seems to have been from 2014 or so.

Buying 2nd hand is better than vinyl, surely, I've never had a scratched or unplayable one yet, just the occasional cracked case.

This was what i was trying to say. Listeners may think by looking at the song titles it is the same old songs but could turn out to be a re-cut or the 12 " or 7" inch version.

You may not really know unless you take a listen to the CD. These kind of CD`s are now drying up and seem to be hard to get.

Enough said.

Bless
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby jb welda » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm

>Listeners may think by looking at the song titles it is the same old songs
>but could turn out to be a re-cut or the 12 " or 7" inch version.

That's specifically what a lot of people scorned CDs over, the tampering with original releases, or in some cases, even adding appropriate, but kind of redundant, bonus tracks. Like for instance, having the LP version of a song where it appeared on the LP, and then having the 12" extended or remixed or auto-tuned mix or whatever later on in the program, usually after the original LP has run out. It does kind of water down the flow of an original but I always appreciated it, if only to fill up all the extra time on a CD, vs an LP.

What I rarely appreciated was when, as mentioned here, there was a totally different mix on a particular song, or even the whole release, when it was reissued, especially if that is not noted plainly in the track listing. Because sometimes maybe the remix is "better" but often it is just different, and often it is just annoying, particularly when I was seeking the original version which I presumed it was. Studio 1, in particular, used to do this a lot and you also get it on one-off label compilations. Some I have come across have been pretty horrendous, and unexpectedly so. There was one Gregory Isaacs set on RoHit i think that turned out to be more or less piano dub versions of the songs i was expecting to hear. It was unique for the first couple listenings, but i dont think i have even thought about that CD in decades.

one love
jb
jb welda

Return to General discussion