"Vinyl-ONLY" - for and against

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: "Vinyl-ONLY" - for and against

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Would you risk rare original pressings playing out, especially on someone else's equipment - not to mention taking them abroad?

I'm dead against MP3s myself, for sound quality reasons - it's got to be lossless (e.g. WAV).
drwatts53

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 pm

I think this debate could probably be satisfied on both sides if for example you're at a dance and tune is played that you've never heard and it is an absolute almighty killer and everyone in the dance seems to concur and the whole place goes mad dancing or just taking it in, in all it's glory...ask yourself if you were there and experiencing this if the thought of the format would cross your mind. If it does, you're clearly hopeless but whatever format crosses your mind that you would prefer hearing it in, then I suppose format truly does matter to you on some visceral level. But if nothing about format comes to mind than I'm afraid you would be in agreement that at the end of the day, if the music is doing what it's supposed to do, the medium is a moot point. It only seems to become un-moot when we've either been spoiled, been uninspired or don't get the same affect from tunes like we did the first time we heard it or whatever so we come up with other ways to fill the deficit...kinda like a crack head always chasing that first high.

The debate is always relatively enjoyable for the past few decades I suppose but at the end of day it was either created by elitists or a simple generational disagreement. I mean there was vinyl then tapes then cd and so on. It either f*cking sounded better or it didn't or you liked it better or you didn't is there really any more to it? All this crap about taking the vinyl out of the sleeve and putting it on the player and putting the needle down is just a fetish by another name. I could do the same with my cd, open the case take it out, push button for tray, lay it on close etc etc. It's so stupid I'm dumbfounded how we can still find things to add to it.

-Me-
Novice

Postby bluejam62 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:16 am

I used to be fairly vinyl purist and bought my first Blood and Fire releases on vinyl. Then when I actually heard the CDs I realised I could barely tell the difference, so saw no reason not to buy them instead, especially with the extra songs etc.
bluejam62

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 am

yms wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:I prefer to see the DJ playing vinyl when I go out just like I prefer a real woman in my bed and not a sex bot.

If that's the case I'd be interested to know if you prefer 7", 10" or 12"?

No, I prefer full size women as I suffer from achondroplasiaphobia.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Robdub » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:24 pm

We play vinyl only at our dub sessions night in Huddersfield. 1 turntable, shaka style. Not out of hatred for digital, just to keep the vibe alive! We love adding records to our collection, and playing them to the people!

On my radio show i play every format, cd, usb, digital, vinyl. No holds barred. I mean i make tunes too, i get some of them cut to dubplate, but cant afford to get them all cut, so need to play some off USB / CD. As you say, some tunes are vinyl only. which is the main reason i still buy vinyl. To get those tunes i love <3. Expensive hobby though right!?

I love every format, they all have their pro's and cons. Man i hate turning up to a gig with shitty turntables, not set up right, needles gone etc.... Then i love turning up to a gig with 1 USB stick which can link on pioneer CDJs!

I have a soft spot for vinyl because i'm a graphic designer and love sleeve artwork and you loose that a bit in this digital download world......
Robdub

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Original vinyl is special not just because of the Japanese tea making ritual you go through to play it but because that's how it was released, purchased and played back in the day. It's a tangible link to the past and the context / culture it came from.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 pm

talking about different vinyl formats. what is 8inch? just to be exotic? never saw this anywhere else.

https://www.discogs.com/Mute-Beat-Butte ... se/8639704
capullo

Postby Marvin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Quality.. !

On topic, strictly vinyl and original press when playing out. Personally I believe this is a schooling issue, when growing up I was blessed with a proper musical education and this was the norm. Relationships blossomed through this education and the hunt for tunes was both rewarding and enlightening.. as relationships developed more killer tunes were available. Recognition in some part for the time spent chasing certain tunes..

Bless
Last edited by Marvin on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin

Postby Vinnie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I definitly prefer vinyl but if you or friends make your own music it means you have to press it yourself. It's just cheaper in a digi format. Otherwise i would stick to vinyl
Vinnie

Postby yms » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:
yms wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:I prefer to see the DJ playing vinyl when I go out just like I prefer a real woman in my bed and not a sex bot.

If that's the case I'd be interested to know if you prefer 7", 10" or 12"?

Touche ha ha.
yms

Postby Apostle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:22 pm

I've been collecting vinyl for over 12 years. When I play out it's mostly vinyl. When we play on our soundsystem it's vinyl and dubs on CD. When I go DJ'ing I love nothing more than grabbing a big box of 45's and throwing one after the other... Even though I notice the places where the turntable setup is a bit descent are getting pretty rare these days.

I believe the importance of vinyl in the reggae soundsystem world to be quite exaggerated. Okay, records are just fun to play, they sound warm and you have that lovely crackle- but you shouldn't keep up traditions for tradition's sake. Since so much new music is available on bandcamp, iTunes and the likes, I don't see why you can't just buy digital formats and play these in the dance. We all love vinyl, but since it's becoming more and more expensive, how deep can you reach in your pockets? 10 years ago, the scene was much smaller and your crowd was mostly vinyl nerds checking out which gem you were going to play next. The youths of today don't give a damn about what format you play, or if you play King David style and play three versions of every tune... You have to control your sound so it sounds right, that's basically the most important thing. And you have to make the people dance.
I find it funny how most European sounds want to play King David style and spend loads of money on rare selection, because they look up to the example of the UK soundsystems. Then the big UK sounds come to the European festivals and they just play burned CD's from their CD map. Who is fooling themselves now?
Apostle

Postby jb welda » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 am

I wonder, has anyone ever been suspected of, or known to do this: appear to be selecting vinyl but actually playing from a cd or a laptop, but meanwhile appearing to juggle records, of which they only have two or three and for the sake of the visual, play around with them on the turntables? Kind of lip synching, so to speak? Now that would be the height of vinyl snobbery, or the low point, depending on how you look at it.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 am

One possibility is what's known as digital vinyl systems (DVS) (See https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2017/06/a ... l-systems/ ), where you use turntables with special discs to control digital audio files. You get the feel of vinyl, but someone watching (as opposed to listening) would think the same records were being played all night. I wasn't aware of this myself until I read a review of a Mungo's Hi Fi session, which described exactly this impression. Seems like a good compromise, because you can always use the decks with analogue vinyl if you want.

While googling about this, I also came across these - recordable CDs that look like vinyl http://www.verbatim.com/prod/optical-me ... sku-97935/ . Looks neat if nothing else.
drwatts53

Postby KING NEWBIE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Apostle wrote:. Then the big UK sounds come to the European festivals and they just play burned CD's from their CD map. Who is fooling themselves now?

including channel one ? seems to always play strictly vinyl I mean if the play vinyl when they come to south america they must also play in EU no?
KING NEWBIE

Postby Tune In 2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Tune In 2

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion