"Vinyl-ONLY" - for and against

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

"Vinyl-ONLY" - for and against

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:19 pm

There are many sound systems, DJs and reggae fans who make a big thing about sticking strictly to vinyl, while others - who usually haven't got anything against vinyl as such - don't. Here are six of one and half a dozen of the other for and against - I'd be interested in what people think.

FOR VINYL-ONLY

Some tunes are vinyl-only.
The sound of vinyl.
Tradition, "authenticity".
Greater physical appeal of vinyl as a medium.
For DJs and sound systems, playing vinyl on a deck or two gives the DJs/operators a physical experience and the audience a visual experience that playing CDs or digital files can never do.
Respect from vinyl heads. :wink:

AGAINST (bearing in mind that the argument ISN'T against vinyl as such, but vinyl-only purism)

Digital gives a cleaner sound and won't degrade with repeated plays; generally more easily to replace if damaged.
CDs and especially (high-quality, i.e. lossless) downloads are far better value, making it cheaper to build your collection.
Out-of-print vinyl tunes may be prohibitively expensive or unavailable.
Some tunes are CD or digital-only.
For DJs/sound systems, digital media offer greater portability and ease of access to play.
If you don't object to digital reggae (Sleng Teng &c), what's wrong with digital media? Do you prefer VHS to DVDs?
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drwatts53

Re: Vinyl-only - for and against

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:39 pm

DVD was objectively and clearly better quality than VHS so I will not accept that as a proper analogy.

Old ass debate but if one sounds better and you can tell the difference go with that one. I used to wonder why the same hip hop tracks during radio shows sounded better than when I heard the tape or cd or whatever and then it was clear, oh they're playing records.

"Authenticity" and physical appeal are all subjective so no point arguing that. You grew up with vinyl, so it's more authentic, I grew up with orchestra and he grew up with CD, all authentic to your experience so its' subjective. You like giant things taking up space for physical appeal, he likes compact lower profile things, subjective preference.

If the booth is high enough you might not be able to tell if it's records or cd so visual experience depends on visual placement so you'd have to guess or be a moron looking to see if it's record or cd instead of listening to the selection/sound.

Respect from vinyl heads....you could just give your money to a bully before he asks or beats you up, then you might be able to think you guys are actually friends too.

Digital is not necessarily a cleaner sound but yes degrading and replacing is easier with CD/digital.
Definitely cheaper and better value for CD/Digital
There is no such thing it seems as out of print music anymore, just out of print medium so if it's a tune you want to hear, this argument doesn't apply, if it's something else, go to a bloody museum.
Portability obviously easier for digital.

Conclusion, your ears should decide not your preconceived notions. But if one formats makes your ears think they hear better or make you feel better go for it....otherwise it's a popularity contest at the end of the day, no?

-Me-
Novice

Re: Vinyl-only - for and against

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Digital is not necessarily a cleaner sound

We're talking Jamaican pressings here :wink: . Though of course some CD reissues are mastered from vinyl.

There is no such thing it seems as out of print music anymore, just out of print medium

Really? Nearly everything's available on YouTube, but you'd have to be prepared to sacrifice sound quality to download stuff (never mind the ethics of it).

if one format makes your ears think they hear better or make you feel better go for it

How often do you get the luxury of comparing digital and analogue versions of the same tune unless you've got both already?

Another point I forgot in favour of vinyl: with vinyl singles, you get a dub that you often don't get with CD/digital tracks.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Re: Vinyl-ONLY - for and against

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm

For
Ranking Glasses

Re: Vinyl-ONLY - for and against

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Yes, but why? And if there was something you really wanted and it was only available on CD or as a download, would you go without?

It's the purism aspect I'm getting at here - I see so much publicity for sessions advertising themselves as "vinyl-only", and I'm not sure your average punter cares as long as the music's good (and sounds good).

PS as an extreme case of vinyl-only purism, I once saw a session being advertised as original issues only - no represses... 8) I guess it's just oneupmanship.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Re: "Vinyl-ONLY" - for and against

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Playing original presses only makes some sense, many if not most vinyl reissues (not to mention new releases that are not reissues) are mastered from digital sources so I am not sure "the sound of vinyl" has anything to do with it...not when the music on the vinyl was mastered digitally, or worse yet, taken from a vinyl record and digitized, THEN used as a master for a new record. That is not the "sound of vinyl" to my ears.

Mostly though I think it is a matter of conceit...basically no one in the audience is going to much be able to tell the difference in sound over a big system when surrounded by a bunch of people in a hall.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

there is also a collector point of view. music lover and collector at the same time. some people collect coins or stamps. collecting music has a third dimension to it. you can also listen to the artifacts. collecting CD's is just not so cool although some CD releases are collectible with nice artwork and booklets. but you get my point.
capullo

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm

One reason for vinyl purism among DJs/sound men might be that they've sunk a lot of time and money into building a good vinyl collection, and resent upstarts coming along with CDs and sound files - especially if they've just ripped a load of sub-standard sounding stuff off YouTube or pirate sites. That would be understandable. They might think the same about people using off-the-shelf as opposed to custom-built speakers, especially if they've built them themselves.
Last edited by drwatts53 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drwatts53

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 pm

I prefer to see the DJ playing vinyl when I go out just like I prefer a real woman in my bed and not a sex bot.
Ranking Glasses

Postby yms » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I prefer to see the DJ playing vinyl when I go out just like I prefer a real woman in my bed and not a sex bot.

If that's the case I'd be interested to know if you prefer 7", 10" or 12"?
yms

Postby Ras Berry » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Squeeze once released a 5" single - and there's nothing wrong with that!

:|
Ras Berry

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 pm

The problem with the collector angle is that not many collectors want to subject their collection to the abuses of playing out in public, including getting the lot ripped off. As many of us know it can get kinda hectic when selecting records, and they tend to get thrown here and there temporarily, which picks up dirt and scratches. There is also the issue of abusing the grooves by repeated playings in a short period of time, never mind backtracking through that groove...and all with some house stylus or whatever (many might bring their own stylus but I know many times I have not.) So this is where the ripping of the vinyl to cd, or even to laptop, is much preferable to lugging a whole case of actual vinyl, but then there is the whole visual issue.

If you are hanging around a dance for atmosphere, then maybe playing an actual platter might be a plus but for most at an actual "dance", they don't care where the music is coming from as long as its loud and the bass shakes your kidney stones loose.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Agreed JB. As for the visual aspect, you've only got to picture Shaka in your mind - and there's the dramatic aspect of only using one deck, creating anticipation. Perhaps that explains why some people prefer one deck to two, despite the loss of continuity.
drwatts53

Postby markp » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Strange that the format seems often more important than the music itself. Tune only on cd? Over the dead body of the vinyl only person and in the late eighties early nineties there was something going similar going on with cd's. One would expect the music itself in whatever format to be most important but no...
markp

Postby feury » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 pm

I prefer physical formats , vinyl or CDs but I also enjoy digital (spotify)

however it is dissapointing when there is a dance and some famous selector from abroad shows up and when I approach the dj booth I see him pulling out burned mp3 CDS or just using his labtop , it kind of takes the magic away of expecting to listen rare original pressings ...
feury

Next

Return to General discussion