Yesterday's second hand CD haul

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Yesterday's second hand CD haul

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Bunny Wailer - Liberation (Shanachie)
Bunny Wailer - Dance Massive (Shanachie)
Dadawah - Peace and Love (Wildflower).
Delroy Williams- I Stand Black (Jet Star)
The Uniques - Watch that Sound (Pressure Sounds)

Thirty quid all in. The only one I'm not sure I will really get into is Dance Massive. The rest are all great, the Dadawah in particularly is a revalation. Not heard of it until yesterday.
Last edited by Reggie Love on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reggie Love

Re: Yesterday's second hand CD haul

Postby capullo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Dadawah in particularly is a revalation. Not heard of it until yesterday.

beautiful, isn't it?!
capullo

Postby buzzlulu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Well I might as well jump in here:

I already have a complete set of B&F vinyl (even TWO copies of the Jesus Dread box set) however since I have gotten back into headphone listening I have wanted digital copies of the lot. After spending the last few days perusing Discogs and getting an idea of what things are going for - guess what?

I came across someone selling a COMPLETE set of B&F cd's on eBay! And guess what - again? Today and today only was eBay's one day fathers day promotion - 20% off any Ebay purchase!

So now I have a complete set of B&F cd's on the way to me. Let the ripping begin!
buzzlulu

Postby Novice » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Buzz, why can't you listen to your vinyl with headphones? or did you mean for portable use. Also, wouldn't it have been cheaper to just rip your vinyl to cd or file instead of purchasing that many CD's plus the room it will take up?

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Today and today only was eBay's one day fathers day promotion - 20% off any Ebay purchase!

Not on UK Ebay - but then Father's Day in the UK is 17 June...
drwatts53

Postby buzzlulu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Portable use however also digital as an alternative to vinyl.
While I have perhaps the foremost turntable (LP12) my digital is also TOTL

Ripping - no time or patience

I am also off the age where I buy and collect my music. Physical media baby!
buzzlulu

Postby minidub » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm

curious reggie love, is the delroy williams actually called "black i stand" and you mis-typed it -- or did they change the title for the CD issue?
it was originally issued as "i stand black".
i have had this on LP for years and love it still, though i don't pull it out much...

m.
minidub

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:57 am

I think that bunny wailers liberation is excellent start to finish. Thought that back when it was originally issued. Dance Massive is much much less so to my ears, only a couple of decent cuts on there.

And while I am not sure how Jet Star may have labeled it (they are semi pirate from what I have gathered over the years) and tend to purposefully, it seems, slightly rename releases while retaining key words, presumably to avoid having to account for their sales. I think the original was I Stand Black and possibly jet star renamed it for their release

https://www.discogs.com/Delroy-Williams ... ase/990720

It says there Jet Star called it I Stand Black as well so possibly the original poster mistyped it here.

Kind of a coincidence: I just ran across the Makasound CD of this the other day and ripped it to my computer. Some great extended versions and bonus tracks on that one.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 am

Yes Minidub and JB, my mistake, I've now corrected it. A very nice album, will have to look out for the Makasound issue now, those extra cuts sound tasty.

JB, Dance Massive not really to my taste either, though I do like the track, Don Dada and a couple of others. Many of the tracks were on the horrible reissue of Rock and Groove that came out a few years ago and I unfortunately purchased. Since then, I've picked up a nice vinyl version of Rock and Groove so I can leave that cheap and nasty release well alone now.
Reggie Love

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Rock and Groove has had a terrible track record of reissues. The only one to get is the original vinyl copy, everything else either cut out the dub versions (in all fairness though, added some crucial tracks), or just sounds so crappy as to not be worthwhile (this might be the case with the issue you mentioned as horrible...I think I bought that and was sorely disappointed. I do not recall right off if it included the original versions but one listen was enough for me to throw it into the "never again" pile. Perhaps this was on the RAS label?

The original record was one for the ages, one of the best reggae records every released imo. Why no one has just reissued it as it first was released is a mystery to me.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm

https://www.discogs.com/Bunny-Wailer-Ro ... se/5263854

Yes JB, the bad reissue I mean, from 2005 is the one linked above - like you say dubs cut off and a crappy sound. I agree with you about the original, one of my favourite albums too.
Reggie Love

Postby jb welda » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 am

That was the release on the "new" RAS Records, post that label being bought by Sanctuary, when Dr Dread the started the Tafari label (kind of a stroke of genius). Unfortunately this version of Rock and Groove simply sucks. Like I mentioned, into the "never again" pile and purged from memory.

Now this was the original "reissue" of Rock and Groove, which had shortened songs vs the original LP, but which at least added a few very good tracks:

https://www.discogs.com/Bunny-Wailer-Rootsman-Skanking/master/638982

Collyman and Gamblings being two of the best tracks on the album. Also the mastering and quality of the sound is pretty good, quite acceptable. Its just that the very best parts of the original tracks are missing.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby drwatts53 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:50 am

Talking of Bunny Wailer, I see Dub Store in Japan have just reissued Dubd'sco on CD and vinyl.
drwatts53

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 am

Yes, looking forward to getting that one. I've not heard the album before.
Reggie Love

Postby drwatts53 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:23 am

drwatts53

Return to General discussion