Is Racism Worse Than Ever?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Is Racism Worse Than Ever?

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Ranking Glasses

Re: Is Racism Worse Than Ever?

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Tune In 2

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Tune In 2

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Tune In 2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1m34xdgEe4

It seemed that the type of overt racism I suffered in the 70's and 80's was mainly a thing of the past but since the Brexit vote I have been racially abused 3 times. For many people, the referendum was all about immigration but I'm a bit confused because I'm not an immigrant from the EU; I was born in the UK to Jamaican parents.

The "popularism" seen in the referendum, and Trump making America hate again, has emboldened and empowered the racists. Maybe racism had just been swept under the carpet and has always been lurking. Maybe this is part of a wider rebalancing following improvements / progress in race relations, equality for women, gay rights, and Barack Obama.

I often feel as if I'm living in a hostile environment.
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:56 pm

In the western world at the moment there are basically 3 mottos a vast majority of the population share :
a) Me myself & I.
b) It wasn't me.
c) It's him/ her / them because they're not like me (find any reason why, an obvious one being that they look different).
It just happens that you don't build a decent world on such pillars. You just make it even easier for all the greedy bast**** currently ruining our planet.
How should it be different in a world that's been fed ultra-liberalism since (at least) the 80's?

some songs with cool lyrics : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BmFI19DEk (sorry, just lyrics video removed!).
And one from the KING of great lyrics : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNV1Y01xNk8 (Hell, i was i had learnt English at school by studying such songs instead of that boring Beatles stuff!). Mr Mayfield should just be every bit as famous as Mr Marley, or even more so, as he was sooo much smarter lyrically than his most renouned fan.
lankou

Postby drwatts53 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Curtis covered by the Heptones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUVHlP8zXPE

And let's not forget Syl Johnson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFcMPOg86I , recently covered by Samory-I.

But to return to the question, it seems undeniable that there was an increase in overt racism after the Brexit vote, as Ranking Glasses testifies, but to talk about *overt* racism points to the possibility that the racism was already there under the surface and that the referendum result simply made some people feel it gave them a licence to express it openly.

You could perhaps measure overt racism by the number of racist incidents, but they'd have to be accurately reported first; you might be able to measure covert racism by surveys of social attitudes, but the respondents would need to be telling the truth. Without in any way denying Ranking Glasses' experience, or that there is still widespread and deep-seated racism, it seems impossible to say in general whether it's worse than ever - you'd need some kind of fixed measuring points to compare. Which of course is no excuse for not challenging and struggling against it.
drwatts53

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:18 pm

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/03/1 ... r-factors/

There is lots of data to show that racist hate crimes increased after the vote. The article above is pretty interesting in analysing this. Anecdotally, I have heard from close friends from EU countries that they have noticed a difference in how they are treated.. For example, 'you've got a strong accent for someone who has been here so long', which sounds relatively harmless but didn't happen before the vote.

Not all Brexit voters are racists (obviously) but all racists voted Brexit and they are emoboldened by the result and the fact that likeminded scumbags are easy to find online.
Reggie Love

Postby Novice » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:27 pm

No, it's the same as it always was. Only difference is the people who are racists feel more comfortable showing it or acting on it and the people who aren't racist were let in on a little secret, we haven't made as much progress as the past many decades may have fooled us into believing. If you're called names and picked on at school because people don't like you and then the school makes the people stop calling you names and picking on you all that has happened is that they have stopped calling you names OUT LOUD and picking on because of potential consequences, it doesn't mean they like you or ever will.

You can only force things under for so long until it eventually boils over and comes out nastier than before. Good for you progressives, you helped to "stop" racism, then you went even further and didn't want people to even think or SAY racist things. Well you couldn't control what they think really so you controlled what they say, with insane punishments and consequences and mob rule over a person's right to believe/say what they want. You made it so that they couldn't even protest or argue because the argument itself would label them racist or whatever else so it got pushed under and under and under until believe it or not white people who are racists and white people who aren't racists temporarily found themselves on the same bloody side of things, namely a 1st Amendment issue. Then along comes Trump, the champion of the oppressed, no really he was in their eyes because as stupid as it sounds, they were some what oppressed and he came along and offered them liberation so that they could think, believe and SPEAK what and how they wanted to.

Good intentions turned into an egomaniacal monster and the liberators become the oppressors because you know...GREED.

I don't agree with any of this but it's as good a theory as any of the other 103 of them I've heard since 11/8/16..or 8/11/16 for the Euros.

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Pamela Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp in Clay, West Virginia, has been fired for calling First Lady Michelle Obama an “ape in heels” last month, state officials announced Tuesday. [...]

The racist post in question praised Melania Trump following her husband Donald Trump’s election win in November. "It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified first lady back in the White House,” Taylor wrote on Facebook. “I'm tired of seeing an ape in heels.”

The town’s mayor, Beverly Whaling, resigned after praising the aforementioned Facebook post, saying, "Just made my day Pam."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 98076.html
drwatts53

Postby drwatts53 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 pm

And again in the US: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -to-fix-it .

Shame there isn't a similar piece about everyday racism in the UK...
drwatts53

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 am

The USA should not be judged based on what some backwoods hillbillies in West Virginia have to say. The menfolk are still marrying 14 year old first cousins in that area and the gene pool is getting awfully shallow.

That said, how about telling Mayor Beverley there how much news of her resignation just made my day, bitch. Now if only your hero would follow suit. Or better yet, charged with treason and taken to the gallows for a public execution. :roll:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 am

Me wrote:No, it's the same as it always was. Only difference is the people who are racists feel more comfortable showing it or acting on it and the people who aren't racist were let in on a little secret, we haven't made as much progress as the past many decades may have fooled us into believing.

With reluctance and real sadness I'm inclined to agree with everything you say. I'm not sure what the racists in the UK are hoping to achieve because even if they kill me, I will still be black and I will still be here.

There are also nuances and complexities involved. For example, I know and work with "right wingers" who say I don't like "them" but you're ok.

I found this very disturbing on a number of levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDeZu5J1Qk
Ranking Glasses

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:23 pm

JB, not sure if the backwoods people of West Virginia was a reference to a specific topic from there I'm not aware of or if you were using it as a general example of certain type of people from a certain type of area representing why/how Trump was elected but if it is the latter then I'm quite surprised you still believe this as I thought this was pretty much shown to just not be true based on the various states he carried, like much of the mid-west, which has quite "normal" people, downright quaint and boring some are actually.

Why then did those people vote for him? My theory is a bit over-simplified I think but it goes like this, setting aside any latent racism they may of had or "harmless" biases, they actually believed him, they believed the bullsh*t about draining the swamps and jobs and all the other lies he told and they believed him BECAUSE of all the other insane stuff that was coming out of his mouth. I think they took it as, "well if he's willing to say all that stuff out loud then he clearly isn't a liar or isn't hiding anything." They did what humans do, make correlations with things that just aren't true like thinking that a man who will say the types of things outloud that most people keep inside than he's an "honest" man as if sh*tty people can't just be honest about being sh*tty and still be sh*tty. I've also lived in the midwest for many years off and on but live on the east coast and the cultures are obviously different and if you try to translate the evidence of one culture with the thinking of another you're bound to make huge mistakes.

The whole east coast, at least New York/New Jersey knew Donald trump is a joke and a moron and has been for a long time, I don't think anyone took him too seriously and his "schtick" or brazenness was NOTHING anyone on the east coast wasn't used to(perhaps not the racist xenophobic stuff, just to be clear) because many many people are like that, it's not necessarily thought of as offensive, people speak their mind and it ain't always pretty but it's just that, people talking sh*t, for the most part its/was harmless. I don't think any reasonable person on the east coast was fooled by anything he did or said because it's easier for them to see bullsh*t in a type of behavior they are used to seeing and observing. The midwest on the other hand is a much more reserved, mind your business, don't offend, be nice have respect and apparently not really speak your mind the way you might want to because it's not nice manners, whatever. So you can only imagine how their intellects translated something that was probably quite alien to them and their bubble. Were they going to translate it cynically or skeptically or were they going to be "fair" and hear everyone out and then make their conclusions based on stimuli that was probably a shock to their sense of how the US is and works and how people are. Now you mix this with a legitimate discontent at how governments have been doing/going, only getting worse and not really representing people, it was a recipe for disaster especially when you throw in that Fembot crazy faced lunatic toned Hillary to really just fuel people's disgust to where a guy like Trump seems less disgusting because at least he sounds more honest than her robotic ass well then what do you expect. I'm sure people were also subconsciously under the impression that congress would "check" any real insanity Trump would try to endeavor and guess what, everything has to have a first and who could have guessed it would come now, a first in that congress aint doing SHIIIIIIIIIIIT to stop this guy because they're basically on a policy bender and acting like it's their last hurrah.

Ranking, don't know the details of your clip but I agree it's disturbing if not more common(open) now but I will give one dissent in that I'm getting pretty annoyed at the unrealistic way people expect humans to act the EXACT same in private as they do in public...The interviewer says it souldn't matter if you thought no one was going to read it...REALLY?? Then should it not matter that you tell your wife you're going to rape her ass tonight the way she likes it(Because you and your wife enjoy that type of dirty talk/fantasy play) in private, you should and could and would say that same sh*t out loud or in public?? Of course not but the details is where the insidiousness gets revealed because if you say that's perfectly fine but then say certain other topics should not be thought or said in private either because you should be able to say them out loud then you get into some seriously dangerous cultures.

"I don't like them but you're okay." It's just experience and circumstances and emotions that linger indefinitely. I think Racism has been FAR more complicated than it actually is. It's implications and applications could extend to anything or anyone or anywhere which is what confuses the issue into seeming more complicated than it actually is but the actual thing itself, is it really that complicated? You have a bad experience with someone, perhaps a horrible one...you will naturally, maybe not correctly but NATURALLY, make associations to that experience based on the circumstances and people. A tall person, a short one, a blonde a red head, a Mexican, black, this country that country this city, that organization..whatever was involved you may lump that in with the experience and make it part of the negativity. This is NOT unnatural it's normal and human, in many instances it is called PTSD or just a trauma and how long that affects someone and to what degree is different for each individual based on their psychological make up and upbringing and all the other usual factors. Some where along the line, racists made an association with the people they are racist towards either through what they were taught through upbringing which was then reinforced by evidence bias(which even scientists do REGULARLY) or they picked it up along the way because of negative emotions and associations made towards others because they were discontent.

The foundations of racism, if my theory is correct, are based on basic human psychology and this would mean that it's really not gonna end for any reason until there is some highly unlikely(read ever) change in the way humans process things and emotions become under strict control. I hate to simplify but not as much as others seem to hate it, but racism will end when this ends....your girlfriend drives a red BMW, you're madly in love and it's going great, turns out she didn't feel the same, breaks up with you, 8 years down the drain, now you tell me you don't see more red BMW's on the road after that...YOU DO, you do see more BMW but that doesn't mean there are more. Or she wears some disgusting vanilla perfume, you WILL smell that more afterwards and on more people. FOOLS really believe they are seeing more of these things but any simple assessment would reveal the real reason is that you are paying FAR more attention to it. This black guy done you wrong, nothing to do with his blackness but he happened to be black...throw into the mix you don't have many interactions with black people...you tell me that person isn't going to make an association or at least get a little "twinge" of a negative or scared feeling when he sees another black guy, for the next hour, or day, or month or however long they choose to let the emotions of feeling powerless continue to be felt and keep feeling powerless as opposed to getting a grip and moving on from it and getting their composure and sense of self back.

Of course everything I've said is the simplified or early stage of what I will assume you can use your imaginations to expand and see how it can grow into the "complicated" issues and turn into institutionalized forms and infect the culture.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Or is it simply that some people think their race is superior to others?
Ranking Glasses

Next

Return to General discussion