Top 20 Reggae Vocal Groups

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Top 20 Reggae Vocal Groups

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 07, 2018 5:49 am

The vast majority of people who listen to and buy music aren't musicians just as the vast majority of people who go restaurants aren't chefs. Do you have to be an actor to comment on a movie?

Believe it or not I bought some TW music over the years, and I can appreciate the quality of their musicianship, but thieir style is what it is. I like Cool Meditation by them.
Ranking Glasses

Postby TruthTown » Mon May 07, 2018 6:58 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:The vast majority of people who listen to and buy music aren't musicians just as the vast majority of people who go restaurants aren't chefs. Do you have to be an actor to comment on a movie?

Of course not!!! I didn't say in my post that a non-musician shouldn't comment on a concert. It's just that views are soooooo different!!! I have some friends who are actors (they have made movies, classic TV series here, etc...) and, believe me or not, our perceptions use to be opposed in many ways. It's not that my opinion is not respected, but maybe I don't realize about many crucial "little" details. The same for a chef, painter, sculptor, architect, etc...

I sent you a link of a REGGAE concert, and all you can see is a "Shave face rastaman with a tea cosy pon him head"

I like Cool Meditation as well. Now you mention "Journey To Addis", far from being (or expected to be) a pop song, the title track is a 6 minutes (not an orthodox reggae) very nice instrumental.
TruthTown

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 am

TruthTown wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:
I sent you a link of a REGGAE concert, and all you can see is a "Shave face rastaman with a tea cosy pon him head"

Because the first thing I saw was the lack of authenticitiy! :) I actually saw them live at Reggae Sunsplash, Crystal Palace 1984. Why do you think I don't know their music? They're a bit like the Chicken Tikka Masala of reggae.
Ranking Glasses

Postby TruthTown » Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:
TruthTown wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:

I saw them live at Reggae Sunsplash, Crystal Palace 1984. Why do you think I don't know their music? They're a bit like the Chicken Tikka Masala of reggae.

As I imagine you are (let me guess) more or less a 50 years English reggae fan, of course I know you know their music. Im happy you realized at last that they are a reggae band!
TruthTown

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 07, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, and it's all a bit sad in a way that there aren't more bands actually playing reggae. It's also sad that not many current artists made it onto these Top 20 lists. I guess times have changed.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Peacemakeya » Mon May 07, 2018 6:17 pm

"Shave face rastaman with a tea cosy pon him head"

it ain't what's on the outside that counts ... it's what's on the inside. Would u dis brother Dali Lama for his shave head? Is more accurate to i.d. the foul stank spirit, unfortunately deceiving & occupying, these lost generation of haters now pretend posing as reggae
Peacemakeya

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Ranking Glasses

Postby Dubba » Wed May 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Just realised that nobody has mentioned The Congos?!!!! Surely the legendary status of heart of the Congos warrants an inclusion in the top 20?!!!
Dubba

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Oh no, I can't stand those high pitched vocals.
Ranking Glasses

Postby johnny clash » Thu May 10, 2018 5:18 pm

My personal favourite is Culture.

And for the UK, definitely Misty In Roots.
johnny clash

Postby lankou » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Really took me some time to figure it out but this is what i came up with eventually:
Ethiopians
Kingstonians
Heptones
Keith & Tex
Uniques
Techniques
Sensations
Clarendonians
Tennors
(early) Pioneers
Johnny & The Attractions (few tunes but just amazing!)
Carlton & The Shoes
Gaylads
Wailers
Wailing Souls / Renegades (ok, i'm cheating a little but sae core of vocalists!).
Mighty Diamonds
Jays
Viceroys
Culture
Silvertones
(The Jays, The Tartans and the Itals wouldn't be too far, like Tetrack!) :wink:
lankou

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Never was a fan of Culture. Sounded like a pound shop Burning Spear.
Ranking Glasses

Postby TruthTown » Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Never was a fan of Culture. Sounded like a pound shop Burning Spear.

Ouch.
TruthTown

Postby Tune In 2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 pm

How could i or someone forget to mention "The Tamlins"- (Derrick Lara, Carlton Smith, Junior Moore)
with such sweet harmonies they have got to be up there somewhere surely
Tune In 2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Nice vocals / harmonies with Baltimore, Ting a Ling, etc,. but not sure they're top 20 material.
Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion