Jamaican 18 yrs old wonder Koffee!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jamaican 18 yrs old wonder Koffee!

Postby johnnyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:54 pm

...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Re: Jamaican 18 yrs old wonder Koffee!

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm

The Saxon DJs were doing that 30 years ago!
Ranking Glasses

Postby johnnyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Basically this has been done since the mists of time. Should we stop doing it RG?
johnnyB

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:16 pm

What Neolithic man had a B&F board as well?

The fast style kind of deejaying came about in the early 80's so this is nothing new or original. The artist therefore cannot be the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe if she did something of her own....
Ranking Glasses

Postby johnnyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

If it’s originality you are after reggae is hardly the best place to look for it I’m afraid.
johnnyB

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:36 am

That's more true of singers while deejays tend to have more unique personalities, styles and lyrical content. Although there are some notable exceptions such as U Roy and Ranking Trevor, Nicodemus and Jr. Demus, Super Cat and Jr. Cat, etc. Tribute and family are obviously factors here. There was also that dodgy version of Phensic by Ranking Starcky.

DJs and rappers tend to be original and copying one another is often frowned upon. I remember back in my day people shouting "Pirate" if the DJ "borrowed" someone else's lyrics or style and this was the case before and now.
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:39 pm

She's good and that's well enough for me. How long has it been since this type of fast style was done in JA? It probably sounds fresh to the new JA generation, who were mostly weaned on commercial US sounds and tepid "one-drop" (or nu roots).
She does havepositive lyrics, a nice voice,so i won't ask for so much more.
Let's remember we're in 2018, where lots of kids play and listen to the same formulaic electrorap-r&b sounds all over the planet. Not sure we would find many punters shouting "pirate" these days : certain lyrics of the past have just become mandatory gimmicks and many reggae fans feel safe with the usual formulas, whether we like it or not (just take a look a all the major reggae dealers ' websites and check the new release section :you will be appalled by the genericness of most pseudos and song titles - and it's even worse for some sub-genres!). Long gone are the days when there would be a new style, a new slang, a new whatever every two months!

I think it's cool to see a JA youngster reconnecting with her country's vibes (though good call from Mr RG as she does sound more like the UK sort of fast style,not San ot Stichie) from a time when JA was well ahead of most "urban" (hate this label!!!) sounds, before the US industry (rap, pop & r&b) borrowed many pages off their musical recipe book for its own benefit.

I'd rather have some upcoming JA artists doing this than the umpeenth Alkaline,Tommy Lee and their likes or those foreign "neo-early digital" artists nicking one page aftr the other off the 80's originators's songbooks. She has lyrics,not gimmicks, unlike most deejays today. As long as she doesn't get stuck in the "we smoke ganja every day and the cops can't do a thing, na na na" routine too many of the current cultural JA have been wallowing in since herb was depenalized. Come on, guys, move on ! (and the foreign copycats could also deal with their own reality : smoking herb doesn't make you a rebel!).

Besides, Let's call a spade a spade : When was the last time a JA deejay came up with a proper original style? Kartel, or possibly Jesse Royal? Not that many. More power to Koffee, then! Sure being hyped up by Cocoa Tea, and now even more so trendy Chronixx will help her move leaps and bounds, but she still stands her own ground,indeed.
Come to think of it the word "wonder" is extremely far-fetched in a JA context, where countless great artists had aleady had important hits at that age: Wailers, Jacob Miller, Delroy Wilson, Erroll Dunkley, FP, Buju, ... you name them, the list is endless !
Yet, as far as young upcoming female artists with a different knd of vibe are concerned my bet would definitely be on the very talented singer Lila Iké , from Protoje's camp. Since he fortunately left the Don Corleon camp, that man has become a very interesting artist AND producer and he knows how to spot real talent.
lankou

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 pm

lankou wrote: How long has it been since this type of fast style was done in JA?

There was Rock Stone recently with Stephen Marley and Capleton where SM "paid trubute" to Papa Levi's fast style.
She is talented to be fair and I wish her well.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 am

Stephen Marley just copied a verse or so from Levi as a sort of tribute. You could hardly call that doing fast style.

Busy Signal can do fast style very well. Here's a great example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTdOzw9Kdk
Reggie Love

Postby Werner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am

Reggie Love wrote:Busy Signal can do fast style very well. Here's a great example.

Is there any style he can't do very well? :)
I love how he is able to adopt all these styles from the past, and yet put his own twist to it. He is like a sponge when it comes to absorbing the history of the music, and paying homage to the people that played a part in it (and not limiting that to the obvious names!)
Most versatile reggae artist of today, in my opinion.
Werner

Postby lankou » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for info, Finbar. I wasn't even aware that Dean Frazer had recorded as a singer (if this is the same person)!
Not a bad original, a bit plodding for my tastes, though. One more case of DEB surpassing the original (Though i'll always tend to say that his numerous covers of rocksteady and early reggae classics are inferior to the originals), imho, with a more "epic" rendition . A good cover by Earl 16 too, though a bit generic.
lankou

Postby finbar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:22 pm

lankou wrote:Thanks for info, Finbar. I wasn't even aware that Dean Frazer had recorded as a singer (if this is the same person)!
Not a bad original, a bit plodding for my tastes, though. One more case of DEB surpassing the original (Though i'll always tend to say that his numerous covers of rocksteady and early reggae classics are inferior to the originals), imho, with a more "epic" rendition . A good cover by Earl 16 too, though a bit generic.

Lankou, I think you meant this for the "Rich/Poor" thread.

Same person, Dean sings, and he blows.

https://www.discogs.com/Dean-Fraser-Sin ... ter/255778

It's interesting in that it's the first released version of the riddim used by Perry many times hence ("Dread Lion" from Super Ape, "The Prophet Live" by Prince Jazzbo).
I would agree that Dennis is a better singer, although Dean is a better sax player :D

Back to the topic at hand: the girl can chat!
finbar

Return to General discussion