Dub With Vocals or Without?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dub With Vocals or Without?

Postby bluejam62 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 am

I'm quite surprised by the amount of writers of comments or reviews who say they're pleased that a dub album doesn't have vocals. I've always liked compilations of version sides that keep parts of the voices on them ('Freedom Sounds in Dub' is a beautiful example) or something like 'Living Dub' which uses Burning Spears' voice to quite magical effect. I think snatches of vocals really add to the feel and atmosphere of a dub. Does anybody know why they are mostly left off dub lps?

What's your feeling on this matter?

Re: Dub With Vocals or Without?

Postby itsmeagain » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 am

I am with you. I love vocal snippets on dub. Definitely agree regarding Living Dub. Brilliant effects on the album.
Even Scientist on the encounters Pacman disc, he uses Eek a Mouse and others to great effect.
African Girl dub is one of the best ever tracks with vocals on.

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 am

Definitely with. I've discovered loads of tunes through those vocal snippets in dubs.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Sonic Dub » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer my dub without vocals. I find some dub lp unbearable to listen to because they contain to many vocals such as Freedom Sounds in Dub, but also Version Dread (a Studio One compilation). I don't understand the abundance of vocals in dub sometimes, if I want the vocal version I will buy just that.
Sonic Dub

Postby SteveT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I dont mind either. A snippit of vocal echoing away in a mix can sound amazing but overdoing the vocals can ruin a dub. If your playing lots of tunes on the same riddim then I would prefer a dub without vocal so you can play after any vocal.

Postby feury » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

with vocals!

Postby adrians wall » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 am

Depends entirely on the dub, on a single with 1 vocal & 1 dub I much prefer a bit of vocal in the dub, even if its just at the start. Running a vocal and then a purely instrumental dub version only really works in a dance if you have a way to bridge the gap from 1 to another so I prefer to have 1 dub with vocal and 1 or more without vocals if its a 10" or 12".

For a dub LP I think a mix of with & without vocals. I think my personal choice would be the first & last tune of each side to have vocals and the rest to be without as with a dub LP I think its a lot about space.
adrians wall

Postby Mark T » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 am

I definitely prefer with some vocal snippets. In fact I have found that I really like some vocal snippets but I'm disappointed by the full vocal - Michael Prophet comes to mind. It's all personal taste though isn't it.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm

A bit soon after his death to start criticising.
Ranking Glasses

Return to General discussion