Dub With Vocals or Without?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dub With Vocals or Without?

Postby bluejam62 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 am

I'm quite surprised by the amount of writers of comments or reviews who say they're pleased that a dub album doesn't have vocals. I've always liked compilations of version sides that keep parts of the voices on them ('Freedom Sounds in Dub' is a beautiful example) or something like 'Living Dub' which uses Burning Spears' voice to quite magical effect. I think snatches of vocals really add to the feel and atmosphere of a dub. Does anybody know why they are mostly left off dub lps?

What's your feeling on this matter?
bluejam62

Re: Dub With Vocals or Without?

Postby itsmeagain » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 am

I am with you. I love vocal snippets on dub. Definitely agree regarding Living Dub. Brilliant effects on the album.
Even Scientist on the encounters Pacman disc, he uses Eek a Mouse and others to great effect.
African Girl dub is one of the best ever tracks with vocals on.
itsmeagain

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 am

Definitely with. I've discovered loads of tunes through those vocal snippets in dubs.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Sonic Dub » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer my dub without vocals. I find some dub lp unbearable to listen to because they contain to many vocals such as Freedom Sounds in Dub, but also Version Dread (a Studio One compilation). I don't understand the abundance of vocals in dub sometimes, if I want the vocal version I will buy just that.
Sonic Dub

Postby SteveT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I dont mind either. A snippit of vocal echoing away in a mix can sound amazing but overdoing the vocals can ruin a dub. If your playing lots of tunes on the same riddim then I would prefer a dub without vocal so you can play after any vocal.
SteveT

Postby feury » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

with vocals!
feury

Postby adrians wall » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 am

Depends entirely on the dub, on a single with 1 vocal & 1 dub I much prefer a bit of vocal in the dub, even if its just at the start. Running a vocal and then a purely instrumental dub version only really works in a dance if you have a way to bridge the gap from 1 to another so I prefer to have 1 dub with vocal and 1 or more without vocals if its a 10" or 12".

For a dub LP I think a mix of with & without vocals. I think my personal choice would be the first & last tune of each side to have vocals and the rest to be without as with a dub LP I think its a lot about space.
adrians wall

Postby Mark T » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 am

I definitely prefer with some vocal snippets. In fact I have found that I really like some vocal snippets but I'm disappointed by the full vocal - Michael Prophet comes to mind. It's all personal taste though isn't it.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm

A bit soon after his death to start criticising.
Ranking Glasses

Postby itsmeagain » Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm

An example of dub with lyrics that I like.
The Same Song dub by the great Israel Vibration.
I love Eek a Mouse on the dubs of Terrorists in the City too. Noah's ark, another Eek a mouse classic.
itsmeagain

Postby capullo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm

sometimes the vocals shine more haunting in a dub mix than in the vocal mix. good example is glen brown/king tubby's "save our dub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gPuh80ByI
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 am

capullo wrote:sometimes the vocals shine more haunting in a dub mix than in the vocal mix.

The vocals on the dub to DEB's Emmanuel (God is With Us) are seriously haunting. There are 2 versions but I'm talking about the one which has the backing vocals over the dub and not the sparse drum and bass version.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 pm

yes ranking glasses, a next good example! pure magic the way vocals are mixed in a dub mix. either way - dub without or dub with vocal snippets. both mixing treatments can bring some parts of the rather average (not dennis brown etc. or other great vocal delivery as such i mean) into the limelight. sometimes it's all about the drums and piano, sometimes it's all about the vocals brought in and out with reverb at the perfect time. the beauty of dub 8)
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am

capullo wrote:yes ranking glasses, a next good example! pure magic the way vocals are mixed in a dub mix. either way - dub without or dub with vocal snippets. both mixing treatments can bring some parts of the rather average (not dennis brown etc. or other great vocal delivery as such i mean) into the limelight. sometimes it's all about the drums and piano, sometimes it's all about the vocals brought in and out with reverb at the perfect time. the beauty of dub 8)

Dub is the perfect example of the sum being greater than its parts.
Ranking Glasses

Postby itsmeagain » Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 pm

I like the Scientist and Jammy strike back album.
Great vocal snippets.
itsmeagain

Next

Return to General discussion