Studio One - From The Vaults Vol. 1

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Studio One - From The Vaults Vol. 1

Postby Donovan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 am

Just picked up this new collection at my local record shop. Didn't even know it was coming about. It apparently hasn't got much pre-release press.

http://studio-one.11spot.com/various-ar ... vol-1.html

I'll post my thoughts after 1-2 listens. Tracklist certainly isn't same old same old!
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Re: Studio One - From The Vaults Vol. 1

Postby Donovan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:24 am

Whoops, just noticed Reggie Love already mentioned this collection. :oops: Specifically, he singled out the Eddie Constantine track as a winner. I wonder if Eddie recorded this track before or after starring in Godard's Alphaville?
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby Donovan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:24 am

Here is a rare pic of Eddie demanding money from Coxsone shortly after laying down the track!
Attachments
1 alphaville PDVD_0073 .jpg
1 alphaville PDVD_0073 .jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Donovan

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 am

Yes, I was very happy to find it yesterday in my local record shop, Rough Trade, in East London. I've been laid up with flu for a week and I tempted myself out of the house with the possibility of some new music. After going through all the regggae racks, I couldn't find anything I really wanted, and then just as I was about to go, I spotted it. Rare Studio One? Yes please.
Reggie Love

Postby markp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

Anywhere were for sale online in Europe? Only see studioonerecords and dustygroove in the US so far.
markp

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/fro ... ults-vol-1

You can get the cd from Rough Trade online here. They don't have the vinyl in stock.
Reggie Love

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:15 am

Reggie Love wrote:https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/music/from-the-vaults-vol-1

You can get the cd from Rough Trade online here. They don't have the vinyl in stock.

The vinyl now seems very hard to find was not really available online to buy even after the record stay release days had passed. Unlike the rest of the studio one vinyl 7 inch box sets which are still available in places to buy online. These were record store day release for 2017.

Mainly the vaults double Lp in question was really only available in record shops. Of which some shops stocking few of the released record store day vinyl items depending what they were sent by the distributor.

Even the record shops were really not sure what they would receive to sell so i was told.

Therefore you had to turn up at the record shops on the day of release to slightly guarantee you might be able to get what record store release you might be after.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby ReggaeFire » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 am

jah_vaults wrote:

The vinyl now seems very hard to find was not really available online to buy even after the record stay release days had passed. Unlike the rest of the studio one vinyl 7 inch box sets which are still available in places to buy online. These were record store day release for 2017.

From what I can remember the House Of Joy set took a couple months to go on sale on the Studio One website, I assume they had to wait for the unsold copies to be be returned to their distributor. Granted that one may not have sold well since the price was quite steep compared to a double album (some places were trying to sell it for $200)
ReggaeFire

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 pm

ReggaeFire wrote:
jah_vaults wrote:

From what I can remember the House Of Joy set took a couple months to go on sale on the Studio One website, I assume they had to wait for the unsold copies to be be returned to their distributor. Granted that one may not have sold well since the price was quite steep compared to a double album (some places were trying to sell it for $200)

Yes this House of Joy box set is still available here and there still priced pretty high.

Lets see what is released for 2018 record day.

Looks like there probably be crazy price increases too making majority of people not be interested in the products as much because of the very high pricing.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 am

Some of from the vaults is marred by questionable digital "sound restoration". The Gaylads track, for example, sounds horrible.

The set is still excellent however Rock A Shacka did a much better job with their Sugar and Spice compilation.
yms

Postby Mark T » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 am

You can listen to the set on Apple Music. I didn't find it overwhelming but it was nice to hear all the same.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby jah_vaults » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 pm

yms wrote:Some of from the vaults is marred by questionable digital "sound restoration". The Gaylads track, for example, sounds horrible.

The set is still excellent however Rock A Shacka did a much better job with their Sugar and Spice compilation.

The Japanese rock a shaka label has some nice pressings shame they dont release that much .

Think the japan Rock a shaka been dormant for quite a while now only the odd releases but on the other hand Japans reggaerecord seems to be releasing tunes quite often.
jah_vaults

Return to General discussion