[SOLVED] Can anybody identify this reggae sample?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

[SOLVED] Can anybody identify this reggae sample?

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows what the vocal sample at the 2min 38sec mark is? The part saying, "Form a line, all the people form a line"......my best guess is it's a track by Yellowman sped up, but I can't seem to figure out the specific song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5m4loSsgE

EDIT: This was solved by Werner. The track is Yellowman - "Why You Bad So"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvkWEoJeXY
Last edited by DJ Filthy Rich on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
DJ Filthy Rich

Re: Can anybody identify this reggae sample?

Postby tactix » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 am

I don't have an answer for you but if you were tying to find a similar sample (in terms of lyrics, style, and pattern), Red Rose's Form a line sounds remarkably similar to my ears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLF3oX8LDQ
tactix

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 am

tactix wrote:I don't have an answer for you but if you were tying to find a similar sample (in terms of lyrics, style, and pattern), Red Rose's Form a line sounds remarkably similar to my ears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLF3oX8LDQ

Thanks tactix, but I actually did come across that song during my search of the lyrics. Unfortunately that's not the one. Appreciate it though :)
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

Little John had a track called Form a Line back in the 80's.
Ranking Glasses

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Little John had a track called Form a Line back in the 80's.

That was a great track! But unfortunately that isn't the one in the video. At the end of the song they are sampling various popular reggae songs.....so I'm going to also assume that vocal was also relatively famous?
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 am

Cocoa Tea - Form a Line?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

Midnight Riders – Posse Form a Line?
Ranking Glasses

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Midnight Riders – Posse Form a Line?

Thanks, but it's neither the Cocoa Tea or The Midnight Riders. Did you listen to the sample in the video link I posted? It's at the 2min 38 second mark. Man it's killin me.....I need to know lol
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Can't listen, I'm at work.
Ranking Glasses

Postby tactix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 am

Well all this stuff is from around 1985 - so that narrows it :)
tactix

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:59 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Can't listen, I'm at work.

Ah ok no worries....thanks for trying. Maybe when you get a chance to listen, you'll hopefully recognize it.
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:08 am

tactix wrote:Well all this stuff is from around 1985 - so that narrows it :)

Well the original tracks mentioned above are from around 1985....but I have a feeling that the vocal sample is from a dancehall song inspired by Little John and Cocoa Tea. But you do bring up a good point....some of the other songs sampled at the end of the track are Foxy Brown "Sorry" (1989) and JC Lodge "Telephone Love" (1990)...and the Gucci Crew song was from 1990 as well, so maybe the track I'm trying to find was a relatively recent hit at the time....maybe 1988 - 1990 timeframe? I tried slowing down that part in Serato, but the vocal tone doesn't change that much
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby tactix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:47 pm

DJ Filthy Rich wrote:

Well the original tracks mentioned above are from around 1985....but I have a feeling that the vocal sample is from a dancehall song inspired by Little John and Cocoa Tea. But you do bring up a good point....some of the other songs sampled at the end of the track are Foxy Brown "Sorry" (1989) and JC Lodge "Telephone Love" (1990)...and the Gucci Crew song was from 1990 as well, so maybe the track I'm trying to find was a relatively recent hit at the time....maybe 1988 - 1990 timeframe? I tried slowing down that part in Serato, but the vocal tone doesn't change that much

Possible and perhaps even probable but it feels like that idea - form a line or line up - doesn't seem to have much currency outside of that mid eighties period. You might ask someone intimately familiar with the Miami scene. Ital K (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ital-k-2bb61217) hosted a show with Clint Oneil for many years. If it was hot he probably would know it or knows somebody who would.
tactix

Postby DJ Filthy Rich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 am

tactix wrote:
DJ Filthy Rich wrote:

Possible and perhaps even probable but it feels like that idea - form a line or line up - doesn't seem to have much currency outside of that mid eighties period. You might ask someone intimately familiar with the Miami scene. Ital K (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ital-k-2bb61217) hosted a show with Clint Oneil for many years. If it was hot he probably would know it or knows somebody who would.

Interesting....I'll reach out to him and see if he can I.D. it. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully in the meantime, it might ring a bell with some of the posters here...
DJ Filthy Rich

Postby Werner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 am

I think it's Yellowman - Why you bad so (from Nobody Move album)
Werner

Next

Return to General discussion