The Fall In Vinyl Sales

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: The Fall In Vinyl Sales

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:48 am

It wasn't me who mentioned digi distortion? I couldn't hear a noticeable drop in sound quality with tape to tape speed dubbing. Although many of the recordings weren't perfect to begin with. If someone had the latest Saxon sound tape or one of the many that were coming over from JA, this was the fastest way of getting a copy.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dread Archive » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:29 am

351 TDK Cassette Tapes from 1969 - 2005 [Oldest first]
http://www.45spaces.com/audio-compact-cassette-blank-tapes/a.php?a=tdk

3,364 Audio Compact Cassette Blank Tapes [All makes] Put make in search for results'
http://www.45spaces.com/audio-compact-cassette-blank-tapes/45m_search.php?ps=1&sq=Audio+Compact+Cassette+Blank+Tapes&sm=re

Metal Tapes with metal in the casing that were heavy.

Audio Cassette Tape Decks - Brand - Popular [200 listed] 1973 - 2013
http://www.45spaces.com/audio-cassette-tape-decks/45m_b_a_r.php
Dread Archive

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:03 am

I was an AD-90 or an SA-90 man myself. Couldn't afford the MA-90 metal tapes. The D-90 was cheap but it had terrible sound quality with lots of bacground hiss. Unfortunately most of my tapes reeled out or snapped so cassettes were a handy but flawed format.
I moved onto CDs in the early 80's but a lot of my older CDs skip or repeat now. Tried cleaning them but it makes no difference.
Vinyl is king! And you have to be a king to be able to afford new vinyl releases!
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm

so is dread archive going to list links to everything remotely related to the conversation?

FYI I have plenty of cds from the eighties and none skip that I can find. I listen to them all the time and still work fine despite many rumours over the years that they would degrade and begin to skip. Maybe its because of proper storage or something but I have yet to find any systemic fails among them.

And its hard to find anything but a "fall" in sales when they arent being produced to begin with. the much vaunted "vinyl revival" is mainly in the heads of a few collectors and the easily led sheeps of the world. If there is a "revival" at all it is a very small one relative to the other formats, particularly streamed mp3 these days.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:18 pm

jb welda wrote:>I remember my Aiwa double cassette player with super fast tape to tape recording

And you are complaining about a little bit of digi distortion? Its nothing compared to what you introduced to the recording with techniques like that.

one love
jb

Nothing was better then the good old crackly jamaican press
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Dread Archive » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:31 pm

The fall in sales means high prices for new vinyl. Distributors like Jet Star & others that got things in bulk meant it kept the prices down. The new UK vinyl is more expensive than vinyl from other countries apart from Japan. As for represses it is getting to the stage where you can get the original cheaper. New vinyl has no worth in the future.

Rather than going down to Jet Star to get them before the shops & cheaper than the shop price. 50 7"s for £100. Today you would be lucky to get 12 7"s for £100. Even digital downloads are falling in sales what ever digital quality. The only way artists & sounds make money these days is by playing live & touring, recorded music is just a promotional tool to get people to the shows.
Dread Archive

Postby Mark T » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:33 pm

jb, I think the whole idea of CDs deteriorating was a scare tactic from vinyl manufacturers and others making money from vinyl. I have CDs I purchased from the 80's that work just fine. I have never had a CD deteriorate apart from scratches by people handling them.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby jb welda » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 pm

>New vinyl has no worth in the future.

it has the "worth" of the music impressed upon it. anything beyond that is a fading illusion.

But i never got to just wander down to jet star to casually pick up a few records. That would entail a journey of many thousand miles. My closest was to wander past Amoeba in Berkeley, nearly a hundred miles away. But i had a fast car.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby edgar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am

Dread Archive wrote:. Now it is £9 a 7" from the UK which is well out of my price range

I don't know where you live but I assume it's not in the UK but some developing country... To put things a bit in perspective:

The minimum wage is £7.50 an hour.
A pack of cigarettes cost : between £9 and 11 pound (depending on brand)
a pint of beer in a pub: £3 / £3.50
the price of a cinema ticket is £7 to 10 pound.
a burger meal at Mcdonalds: £ 6 to 10 pound

So your 7" cost just as much as 3 glasses of beer in the local pub or the same as a Mcdonalds meal with extra fries and XL soda.
edgar

Postby edgar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 am

Dread Archive wrote:. Uploading audio 1 hour recording takes 10 minutes. 3 hours audio takes 30 minutes to upload & on Youtube 3 hours from start to finish takes 10 hours.

that's simply because you have a cheap shitty internet connection.

Dread Archive wrote:Also if you run 2 uploads at once it slows down both.

:roll: if you have 100 cars driving on one small narrow road it will slow down all the cars on that road. Not just one car.
edgar

Postby Mark T » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:01 am

I remember buying Ja 12" singles back in 1979 when I had a job at Woolworths on Saturdays. One Ja 12" cost me more than three hours labour which was one pound 25 pence an hour in those days. I think a pre single could be 1.25-1.50 pounds if I remember rightly.

Today I can buy some quite expensive original press for three hours of my pay. I think records are comparatively cheaper these days.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ras Berry » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I have quite a few CDs from the '80s that have that bronzing on them but as far as I'm aware they still play OK. I think I only ever had one CD that wouldn't play properly from new. It was Bim Sherman's "Exploitation". I read a tip somewhere about rubbing toothpaste on it and cleaning it off. It did stop some of the skips but not all of them. Still got loads of cassettes from the '80s too and they still play perfectly. The only format I ever really had problems with was DAT. My very expensive (at the time) Sony machine was always a diva. Spent a couple of hundred on getting some replacement parts fitted once but it was never really any more reliable. Used to overheat madly too. Now Minidisc - that's another story. Still love and use my Minidisc deck - brilliant thing!

8)
Ras Berry

Postby jb welda » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:48 pm

The only CDs I have noticed getting that "browning" effect were also Bim Sherman releases, Crucial Cuts vols 1 & 2. Never seemed to hinder playback, but they do have a noticeable cast to them.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 pm

High prices must have caused the down in sales also the lack of Jamaican made reggae on vinyl. Everyone must be fed up of the European standard.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby MANWEL T » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Most reggae labels nowadays are only interested in releasing warrior style steppers (synth sounds and digi drums etc. preferably featuring a well know singer) 'cause that's what most sounds play! They are releasing modern steppers or old roots tracks, so new artists have little choice other than stepping on the modern steppers bandwagon, unfortunately!
MANWEL T

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion