The Fall In Vinyl Sales

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The Fall In Vinyl Sales

Postby Dread Archive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 am

Reggae vinyl sales are a shadow of past times. Gone are the days 1,000 JA 7s a week came out. 2008 was when things changed Jet Star closed down & even before that not so many JA 7s were being made. Stampers wearing out in JA. Once the JA vinyl stopped in was left to the UK & Europe with digital 4 bar loop rhythms with 4 bar loop digital instruments. Now it is £9 a 7" from the UK which is well out of my price range & for a lot of people even if there was any decent tunes coming out. £9 a 7" & badly pressed with back ground noise. Compressed music sounds rubbish on a sound system because it is digital all the way through it's stages of being recorded to being pressed. It's like 8th hand compression. The quality of JA tunes without all the new digital gadgets still baffles people & can not be recreated with compressed sound & frequency loss using digital compression. Represses sound wrong being digitally re-mastered with digital compression. As with a lot of represses it has been remixed & reverb added & sounds wrong when listened to the original. The JA represses that came out in the 90s were done by the original people that first put out the tune & is true to the music.
Dread Archive

Re: The Fall In Vinyl Sales

Postby lankou » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:56 am

Won't deny that a part of this post echoes my own thoughts, but, NO, a whole lot of the JA repesses from the 90's sounded like cr***. One of the reasons being that the quality of vinyl had greatly deteriorated,being recycled to no end. And a number ofthe original people were also qite gifted when it came to hustlng in order to make a quick buck.
If a number of today's reissue labels tamper with the original sounds, dynamics and sometimes mixes, a good number of them do a good job.
As for 4 bar loops, yes, that's what is favoured by many fans now (wil eventually wear out as it's been going on for a fairly long time - sometimesstrange to se what assesoffas "roots" thee days) BUT there are heaps of producers, musicians and artists who don't follow thse guidelines, in Europe and all around the world. I suggest you become more curious again as we live surrounded by a whole big ocean of data and it's very easy to miss on a lot of stuff on the web if you always follow the same virtual footsteps.
There are still a few labels who sell 7"s under 8 euros. Buyreggae, from Germany, is one who licence and release some nice tunes by contemporary JA talents.
lankou

Postby Dread Archive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm

There are a few proper tunes now & again these days but very few to the amount coming out. I hear all the new tunes before release &/or on day of release. Something to do with radio shows.

Not to say all 90s represses were good - Studio 1 were rubbish represses as well as certain other labels.

There is less choice today in styles of reggae. I prefer real instruments even if it is on a well built drum machine riddim & not a computer software drum program. Also a lot of these new tunes are not going to be worth anything in the future.

A tunes foundation is its riddim & if the riddim is strong it gives more space for the instruments & the volcalists who prefer room to vocalise.
Dread Archive

Postby Dread Archive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Brand new tune # Sister Rasheda - Chant 7" [Counter Action Warrior Dub] # Proper tune with a band real instruments & real bass.

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/product/sister-rasheda-chant
Dread Archive

Postby Inyaki » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 am

Dread Archive wrote:Brand new tune # Sister Rasheda - Chant 7" [Counter Action Warrior Dub] # Proper tune with a band real instruments & real bass.

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/product/sister-rasheda-chant

So this is a 'band real instruments & real bass''.....and not a '' computer software drum program'' ?
Last edited by Inyaki on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inyaki

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm

Dread Archive wrote:There are a few proper tunes now & again these days but very few to the amount coming out.

You got that right! I would be the first to buy new tunes if more of them were any good and not the drivel from JA and the Euro Dub from the UK & Europe. You know where people get drugged up and think they're at a rave.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dread Archive » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:
Dread Archive wrote:There are a few proper tunes now & again these days but very few to the amount coming out.

You got that right! I would be the first to buy new tunes if more of them were any good and not the drivel from JA and the Euro Dub from the UK & Europe. You know where people get drugged up and think they're at a rave.

Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care. What's that all about !!! People not having a shower before a dance !!!
Dread Archive

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 pm

We're probably just 2 old farts who need to get with the times.

When I bought my car I spent an hour looking for the CD player before realising it didn't have one! Uses bluetooth or a USB stick. This is the way of the world now I'm afraid.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dread Archive » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 am

Being up with the times is so slow. You just can't plug something in you have to program drivers & be a digital retard to get anything to work on the computer revolution. Uploading audio 1 hour recording takes 10 minutes. 3 hours audio takes 30 minutes to upload & on Youtube 3 hours from start to finish takes 10 hours. The technology is there to make it faster but that don't earn so much money because the longer your on a site the more money is generated by adverts. Adverts run the internet. 3 hours of audio upload should take no longer than 3 minutes. Now I have an old farting app because I am not up with the new farting apps. Also if you run 2 uploads at once it slows down both. It's like watching paint dry & sometimes the paint never dries.
Dread Archive

Postby John Eden » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 am

John Eden

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm

:D

I remember my Aiwa double cassette player with super fast tape to tape recording. The sound it made while copying my TDK 90 dancehall tapes was like a hundred mice speaking very quickly. How simple things were back then!
Ranking Glasses

Postby Dread Archive » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I am well up with the modern world. there is a brand new light bulb app. You just can't put a light bulb in because it won't fit & work. The new light bulb app allows you to fit the bulb in the correct manner which then makes it work. But oh no you need to get a driver the get the light bulb app working. If it ain't broken why fix it. The modern rip off world fixes things that are not broken & replaces them with things that don't work & are broken. The modern world expects to buy something brand new that is broken. Why should I join in with getting ripped off.
Dread Archive

Postby Dread Archive » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Represses that are £14 & £15 a 7" on Rock-A-Shacka label.
Dread Archive

Postby finbar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote::D

I remember my Aiwa double cassette player with super fast tape to tape recording. The sound it made while copying my TDK 90 dancehall tapes was like a hundred mice speaking very quickly. How simple things were back then!

:D I also had a double Aiwa deck. Roger Steffens sold me on the idea when he was visiting town once as he was part of the cast of a movie called "Unnatural Causes", he actually brought it with him from LA! And he needed one because he was a fiend when it came to copying cassettes and giving them out - he's a very generous person. They often came with hand-painted artwork from his kids, I still have them.

I used the hell out of mine also trading tapes, but found that the "high-speed" duplication resulted in ****-poor quality. As you say, very simple - drop the tapes in, walk away, and they are done. It used to also have "auto reverse", but that feature wasn't useful because different tape brands were all of slightly different length, even though they were marked as C-60's or C-90's. The simple days indeed, when things were cheaper and we wouldn't have believed that there could be a worse President than Ronald. How little we knew.......
finbar

Postby jb welda » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:05 am

>I remember my Aiwa double cassette player with super fast tape to tape recording

And you are complaining about a little bit of digi distortion? Its nothing compared to what you introduced to the recording with techniques like that.

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion