Want to talk about "Funky Kingston" album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Want to talk about "Funky Kingston" album?

Postby iosumarti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello people:
Its monday and I have to work. I was a little bit slow until I decided to play Funky Kingston Toots and the Maytals album, 1975 american release...
I love the sound, the vibes, the arrangements...
I havent find too much information in the net about it... I know it was recorded in Dynamics and maybe they added some string in UK?

What do you know?

iosumarti

Re: Want to talk about "Funky Kingston" album?

Postby django » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm

There's some cross-over with the Slatyam Stoot album as I recall, although I don't remember if the tracks in question are different mixes. It's a great album, although I think In The Dark is a superior set from around the same time.
django

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 am

The US release is more like In The Dark anyway, it has six songs from it, but only three from the UK Funky Kingston. The tenth track is "Pressure Drop", which was on Slatyam Stoot (which also shares half of it's tracks with the UK LP), so it's like a distilled compilation of all three those.
99thfloor

Postby django » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks for the info 99th. So the US is:
A1 Time Tough 4:21
A2 In The Dark 2:46
A3 Funky Kingston 4:55
A4 Love Is Gonna Get Me Down 3:14
A5 Louie Louie 3:30
B1 Pomp And Pride 4:30
B2 Got To Be There 3:04
B3 Country Road 3:21
B4 Pressure Drop 3:43
B5 Sail On 3:32

UK is:
A1 Sit Right Down 4:42
A2 Pomp And Pride 4:30
A3 Louie Louie 5:45
A4 I Can't Believe It 3:29
B1 Redemption Song 4:12
B2 Daddy's Home 5:44
B3 Funky Kingston 4:55
B4 It Was Written Down 3:40

Then of course there is Slatyam Stoot which has 5 tracks same as UK Funky Kingston, the UK In The Dark which as you pointed out has some of the US Funky Kingston tracks and finally Roots Reggae on Dynamic which is the Jamaican issue of In The Dark using the cover art of Funky Kingston.
django

Postby jb welda » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Never heard of this Slatyam Stoot release! I know I could look it up but anyone got a cover shot handy?

I had the funky Kingston USA LP since it was released but never really dug it that much...think I also had In the Dark which I preferred. Hard to recall back to those days, one thing I do remember is how tough and militant Peter Tosh sounded on Equal Rights. That got me into reggae heavy after merely dabbling in it from 73 or so until then.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Donovan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm

To me, Funky Kingston is the US Mango release. That UK version ... I wouldn't even recognize it.

In fact, I'll have to get me a copy of In The Dark so that I have those tracks.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:35 am

jb welda wrote:Never heard of this Slatyam Stoot release! I know I could look it up but anyone got a cover shot handy?

Here: http://www.discogs.com/Toots-The-Maytal ... se/2225030

Slatyam Stoot and Roots Reggae are the Jamaican albums that I guess you could say were roughly the equivalents of Kingston and Dark.
99thfloor

Postby django » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 am

Donovan wrote:To me, Funky Kingston is the US Mango release. That UK version ... I wouldn't even recognize it.

In fact, I'll have to get me a copy of In The Dark so that I have those tracks.

Whereas my UK perspective is exactly the opposite. The problem I have with the UK is that some tracks are just too long, Louie Louie in particular outstays it's welcome by a couple of minutes. I guess the shorter US mix is the same as that on Slatyam Stoot.

The reason I would argue that the UK feels more "official" is the US bastardisation of In The Dark tracks. Those tracks were originally issued in Jamaica as part of the Roots Reggae set, which is the same as the UK In The Dark. Also Pressure Drop doesn't belong anywhere near Funly Kingston IMHO, it's totally out of place.

Just a shame that Island/Mango didn't use all the Slatyam tracks I guess.
django

Postby 99thfloor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm

django wrote:...Pressure Drop doesn't belong anywhere near Funly Kingston IMHO, it's totally out of place.

I guess it was added because it was their most well known song in the US, having been on The Harder They Come. Since it is on Slatyam Stoot, and several other songs from that album are also included, one could make a case that it does belong.
99thfloor

Postby django » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

99thfloor wrote:
django wrote:...Pressure Drop doesn't belong anywhere near Funly Kingston IMHO, it's totally out of place.

I guess it was added because it was their most well known song in the US, having been on The Harder They Come. Since it is on Slatyam Stoot, and several other songs from that album are also included, one could make a case that it does belong.

That's a fair point. To me it jars as it's 2 or 3 years older than the other tracks at a time the music was changing stylistically at an incredible pace. I would add that the US version looks a more enjoyable listen overall than the UK set.
django

Postby iosumarti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

Thank you for your answers!
Something about the arrangements?
I feel a big production work: lots of guitars, pianos, organs, strings, backing vocals...
It makes a very full arrangement but without been busy...
And the sound also it is very punchy and clear...
iosumarti

Return to General discussion