Jesse Royal - Lily Of Da Valley

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jesse Royal - Lily Of Da Valley

Postby capullo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 pm

how do you rate Jesse Royal's debut?
capullo

Re: Jesse Royal - Lily Of Da Valley

Postby asher selector » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

Biiiig UP ...

I LOVE IT - Fantastik Album ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been tempted to get it based on some of the tracks I've heard but I've read mixed reviews which have put me off so far.
Reggie Love

Postby lankou » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm

I think it is a very fine album, with real serious modern reggae tunes with a nod to the past and others with a strong crossover appeal (electro-dancehall and mid-80's Jimmy Cliff-like vibes included). 14 tracks, so there's something for everyone.
Some purists will probably be offended by some tunes, but i think it's cool the guy doesn't put all his eggs in the same basket !
Though it's not usually my kind of vibe, i think the tune named "Justice", produced by Kareem Burrell, would have what it takes to be a massive hit on the "urban" market. Unfortunately, the guy isn't american, nor one of Marley's sons.
Alongside Samory I's and Damian M's recent album (never was much of a fan but this one i find pleasant), best album i've heard from JA artist for quite a while. Vastly superior to Chronixx 's album, imho. JR is a 21st century youth so it's just normal that he includes sounds of this century in his versatile mix.
Too bad so few of his earlier tunes recorded with Fattis Jr can't be heard on this album, as they never were released on 7"s initially.
Still waiting for Kabaka Pyramid's album, though, as this other youth could probably come up with something very worthwhile.
Anyway, several of the 2017 releases on Easy Star have been of a high standard, like Double Tiger"s, Expanders' or Victor Rice's Smoke
Last edited by lankou on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
lankou

Postby capullo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm

yes, many different styles. very suitable for airplay. proper production. not every tune is my cup of tea but there might be some growers among. i wish him well and can recommend this album.
capullo

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 am

Your recommedations are enough for me, I will take the plunge soon and report back with my views. After the Chronixx album, I am more wary of buying modern albums if half of it is not to my tastes.

Also eagerly anticipating the Kabaka album, Iankou. Saw him live here in London over the summer and he smashed it.
Reggie Love

Postby lankou » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, Reggie, agreed ! Saw Kabaka last June in Paris, he really did the job ! Hands down best contemporary JA artist i've seen in the last 15 years : very articulate, easy to understand, smart punchlines, well versatile (dancehall-hip hop- roots all rolled up in one). Some sense of humour and very entertaining, not to forget a tight band of friends,not a bunch of hacks. HIGH ENERGY!!! Only low point was a duet with Sara Lugo for a cover of The Paragons' Riding High : she didn't really have what it takes for such a cover !KP and Jesse really have their own style.
lankou

Return to General discussion