Shipping vinyl collection overseas

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Shipping vinyl collection overseas

Postby DJ Conscious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi.
I need to send my entire collection of circa 7,000 records from UK to the Caribbean.
They are a mix of 12s, 7s, 10s and LPs stored in about 40 plastic storage boxes with sealable lids.
I have two options:

1. By sea - 2 or 3 weeks in a shipping container on a ship could mean the Sun's heat might penetrate the container thus potentially warping the records.

2. By air freight - 10 hour flight in very cold temperatures could cause damage but i'm not sure about this. I'm aware that this option is more expensive but worth it to avoid damage.

Any opinions would be most appreciated!

One love!
DJ Conscious

Re: Shipping vinyl collection overseas

Postby jb welda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I would not trust my records to a shipping line. That said, its going to be very expensive to ship all that by air. Like REALLY expensive. Like almost too expensive to even do it. Have you gotten a quote yet? if they are not rare records I would suggest selling them off and then rebuying them...might save money over what you will have to invest in air freight. Then again maybe things have changed and its not too bad.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby ZionRootical » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi
I've shipped mine to Australia then back to UK
I packed them myself so they said they couldn't insure
Find out your nearest port as they charge milage
Try and get a company close to you. Ask who they partner with in the cribs

I shipped with other personal stuff, cheaper than buying everything again, you prob need a part container

When I shipped back to UK,the company was partner with my UK firm, I had 3 weeks to get everything ready before boat left. Both times took 4 weeks to Australia ok
ZionRootical

Postby DJ Conscious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks jb welda!
Do you mistrust the shipping line option because the records may not be treated well in transit or because they might get stolen or perhaps both? I have reliable and trustworthy people to handle things including customs once at the destination port.
I haven't got a quote for air yet but am in the process of doing so. The records are the collection I've built up since the early 1980s which include many rare records so I won't consider selling and rebuying, not practical.

Anyway, I need to understand record damage possibilities before deciding on the shipping method.

Thanks for your response. Bless.
DJ Conscious

Postby DJ Conscious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 pm

ZionRootical wrote:Hi
I've shipped mine to Australia then back to UK
I packed them myself so they said they couldn't insure
Find out your nearest port as they charge milage
Try and get a company close to you. Ask who they partner with in the cribs

I shipped with other personal stuff, cheaper than buying everything again, you prob need a part container

When I shipped back to UK,the company was partner with my UK firm, I had 3 weeks to get everything ready before boat left. Both times took 4 weeks to Australia ok

The shipping firm will be affiliated with each other (who they partner with).

What was the condition of the records after 4 weeks at sea? Any damage?

Give thanks!
DJ Conscious

Postby jb welda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 pm

yeah my concern was with damage from the heat and handling. Sounds like via air is a viable option though, if you can bear the cost.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby ZionRootical » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 am

Every thing was as I packed them, I reused my boxes and 2nd trip was good still.

I used 2 ply cardboard lucky my job had boxes that would fit 2 rows of sevens about 150 - 200 a side I had to add cardboard in middle to separate, my records are also in cardboard sleeves.
With 12/lp I got local company to make boxes for me again I asked 2 ply

I think firm used was copsy out of Romford as I'm Essex and port leaving was Tilbury
When I returned the shipping got my family to arrange with copsy who they use in Australia
So I contacted then. I brought all the bubble wrap and cardboard myself most recycle so I knew I packed it over protection I think I only lost a few plates which was China but every record was 100% fine customs open maybe 10 boxes in total to check contents

Use a computer to print labels as u need to include name, box number and contents use spread sheet to keep a track mark off when leaves hope and tick when arrives

3 grand sounds a lot but not really when u have your belongings again might had been cheaper I forgotten
ZionRootical

Postby edgar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:27 am

I work with shipping containers on a daily base..

Heat is not really an issue, because it's stacked in between hundreds of other containers and there is not much sun above the Atlantic ocean... however sea water, and condense/humidity/damp liquid is an issue as those containers are never air tight..

Our company ships expensive items/electronics by air fright (even if it's 20 pallets ) and cheap bulk stuff like clothing and shoes by container. My experience is that those things don't damage by air fright... unlike shipping containers were you sometimes get boxes inside the container that are soaking wet...

Regardless of choice you need to pack them in sturdy cardboard boxes, don't save money on packing materials as it will cost a lot more if you have to replace items.. The boxes that are hold together with metal stapler nails.. not anything glued or tape..

edgar

Postby DJ Conscious » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks ZionRootical & Edgar!

Based on seven different quotes, five of them are MORE expensive by sea than by air.
This surprised me and it seems some freight companies have long standing arrangements with certain airlines meaning
they get volume discounts and pass them on to the customer, allegedly.

So air is the method I think I'll use. However, the records are stored in plastic storage boxes, NOT cardboard.
I would have thought these plastic boxes would give better protection than cardboard but I might be missing something.
1361532533_4.jpg
1361532533_4.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Giving thanks again!
DJ Conscious

Postby ZionRootical » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Load then in there and put in boxes 7000 is alot I had around 10,000 recotds
ZionRootical

Postby edgar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't think you can ship them in plastic boxes like that as everything has to have a standard size ( like every box and pallet has) otherwise it wouldn't fit into the cargo space properly.... Best to ask the shipping company..
edgar

Postby Werner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Is that an actual pic of your record collection?
Werner

Postby yms » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Werner wrote:Is that an actual pic of your record collection?

:D :D :D
yms

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Ranking Glasses

Postby DJ Conscious » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Hehe. Here's two pics.
12s, LPs, 10s for which there are 40 boxes.
tunes.jpg
tunes.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 302 times
DJ Conscious

Next

Return to General discussion