Sly & Robbie present Taxi Gang In Discomix Style 1978-1987

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Sly & Robbie present Taxi Gang In Discomix Style 1978-1987

Postby Dubdirectory » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Yet another Sly & Robbie compilation? No, this one is special:
There are eight Discomixes and my guess is, that some of them have been edited exclusively for this compilation. Maybe Guillaume can confirm this?

https://www.discogs.com/Sly-Robbie-Taxi ... se/9812540

This release is not done by a Reggae-label, but by the legendary Bear Family Records. That is probably why they picked only cover-versions to reach a wider audience.
Unfortunately there is no information who is responsible for mixing the dub parts. Although on some tracks it is nearly plain instrumental, so one or two tracks may become a little boring towards the end.
Dubdirectory

Re: Sly & Robbie present Taxi Gang In Discomix Style 1978-19

Postby johnnyB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Outstanding release! Everything from sound quality down to sleeve paper is top a di top. Mini book included too. Check also the "Doing Our Thing" 2XLP soul covers compilation on the same label with another mini book included. Rarely seen such a packaging quality in reggae reissues.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 pm

This collection is curated by the great Steve Barrow, who picked cover of soul hits and has not sought to reach out to any specific public, but please himself (and me!). I'm proud to have been of (modest, but real!) assistance for this project.

Nothing is edited, it's nothing but tracks from way back.

There are a few ideas we're toying with for another S&R compilation, and I have to admit Steve has some wicked blood clot ideas!
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby johnnyB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Well,hat off to everyone involved.After quite a lot of time spent buying records I have to admit I was surprised by the overall supreme quality of the product. And at half the price of a Samory I LP!!!!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Dubdirectory » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:Nothing is edited, it's nothing but tracks from way back.

What I mean is that the vocal tracks and the versions were edited together for this release.
So all tracks have been released on 12" back then? (According to discogs this is not the case, but their database may be incomplete and Tapir's doesn't cover the Taxi-label.)
Dubdirectory

Postby jb welda » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 am

I have pretty much all those Island/Taxi 12" from back in the day, and I have never seen several of those tracks before. Like that delroy Wilson one, or the Ken Boothe track. Maybe I missed them. Jimmy Rileys Sexual Healing though has been one of my long time favorites, coming close to Marvin Gayes original. That Home T 4 one is kind of soft, I never got into him but probably the lovers rock people might have. Looks like an interesting release, I expected I would already have most if not all of it, but surprise.

I would like to see a harder selection like d brown revolution, some uhuru or Michael rose, Gregory isaacs, and most of all Ini Kamoze Call A Taxi For Me. That was an incredible 12", but all of these were really groundbreaking sound at the time.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Dubdirectory wrote:
guillaumebougard wrote:Nothing is edited, it's nothing but tracks from way back.

What I mean is that the vocal tracks and the versions were edited together for this release.
So all tracks have been released on 12" back then? (According to discogs this is not the case, but their database may be incomplete and Tapir's doesn't cover the Taxi-label.)

I know what you mean, some of these were unrleased
guillaumebougard

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:31 pm

My bad, I had misunderstood my conversation with Steve and there are indeed 2 "new" edits: the Tinga Steart and the Home T4

sorry about the wrong info
guillaumebougard

Postby Andy G » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:29 am

The edited ones originally came on 7”. All the others are original disco 45 mixes I believe. Great comp either way. Excellent packaging, sound, and notes.
Andy G

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:05 pm

jb welda wrote:I would like to see a harder selection like d brown revolution, some uhuru or Michael rose, Gregory isaacs, and most of all Ini Kamoze Call A Taxi For Me.

Aren't such tracks, like the big Dennis and Gregory ones, on several Taxi compilations already?

They seem to be going for the Soul connection, since the second release is Doing Our Thing - More Soul From Jamdown 1970-82, which from the title seems designed as a follow up to the B&F Darker Than Blue - Soul From Jamdown 1973-1980.
99thfloor

Postby kalcidis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm a bit surprised that so many seem to rate this one. I'm a big Sly & Robbie fan and one of the reasons I hold them to such high esteem is because they really understood how to get a driving funky groove into reggae. Their non-reggae work with Grace Jones, Gwen Guthrie etc is groundbreaking and hella funky at times.

This compilation however was, in my opinion, quite underwhelming.

Out of all tracks on it the only one I rate highly is Inner City Blues. The Jimmy Riley cut of Marvin Gaye bores me something extreme (not a fan of the original Marvin Gaye tune either though) and the Marcia Griffiths tune is ... yeah ... so bad it worsens the experience of the whole set.

I feel like a grinch but I can't be alone in thinking it is so much weaker than the sum of its parts? I mean S&R, soul/funk, discomixes, a bear family compilation, etc. – it should be fantastic!).

Going to spin some Horace in the groove to get in a better mood. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3Kd2WRsR4

I would love to see a proper compilation with JA doing some boogie, funk, disco etc. Jamwax is doing great works reissuing discos of this style. Just listen to that Glen Adams tune they released. BADDNESS through and through.
kalcidis

Postby Dubdirectory » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 pm

kalcidis wrote:I'm a bit surprised that so many seem to rate this one. I'm a big Sly & Robbie fan and one of the reasons I hold them to such high esteem is because they really understood how to get a driving funky groove into reggae. Their non-reggae work with Grace Jones, Gwen Guthrie etc is groundbreaking and hella funky at times.

This compilation however was, in my opinion, quite underwhelming.

Yes, the Marcia Griffith tune is not really good (I think they didn't catch her voice propperly.) And "You Must Believe Me" is way too long (lack of mixing).
But I think the point is that you don't get what you expect. If you read "Taxi Gang In Discomix Style" you think of the "funky stuff", so this is misleading.
This compilation is best to be played after dark. Not suitable for a party.

Most of the tunes are from 1982/83. Compare these tunes to the stuff Sly & Robbie did with Black Uhuru at the same time. Completely different style! So, where do we get to listen to this soft side of S & R? On one hand you can say, this compilation is disappointing, because you don't get what S & R are famous for, but on the other hand you can say, this compilation is good, because it shows a different side.
Dubdirectory

Postby finbar » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 pm

It's Bear Family's first foray into reggae, with more to come apparently. There is a theme involved - all of the songs are covers of soul tunes, none of them are Jamaican-written, and cover tunes act as a connection point for a new segment of fans. So I can understand why they went this route, it's not meant to be a "Best Of...." or pretending to be S&R's hardest overall tunes. Also, the "disco mix" title is a bit of a play on words, as while it is extended versions, it's also tunes that one would have heard in their original form at "discos" and soul parties. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it serves a purpose by show-casing another side of the duo. I hope that it sells well enough for Bear family to want to dig a bit deeper next time.
finbar

Postby kalcidis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Dubdirectory wrote:On one hand you can say, this compilation is disappointing, because you don't get what S & R are famous for, but on the other hand you can say, this compilation is good, because it shows a different side.

I totally understand where you're coming from and believe me, I have no problem whatsoever with soft productions – I'm even an immense fan of music (and reggae in particular) that roots itself firmly in the squishy mushy softness of music. I absolutely love it to the point that friends have mocked my taste.

Furthermore I respect Bear Family wanting to showcase a different side of S&R – it's even admirable. My problem with the set is solely that I really feel a majority of the tracks are either bland or come across as pointless compared to the originals.

If you (or anyone else) enjoy it I'm happy for ya. Each to his own and all that. For me it was just so surprising that something that ticked all my boxes fell so flat.
kalcidis

Return to General discussion