Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Postby jah_vaults » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I need a stanton stylus replacement 500 AL mk2. Anybody know what is best without having to change headshell or other parts. The original needle is not made anymore.

The stanton replacement which costs 20 - 30 GBP has a few bad review can anybody recommend anything else ? I dont want to go MC cartdrige as i dont have MC amp. Although i think this is best option when it comes to replacing these needles.

Can the Technics turntable or any turntable be converted to run MC without replacing to MC amp?

Even the new limited Technics SL1200 G series are released without a stylus.

There are just japanese Kyowa generic ones availble for replacement so called diamond tipped stylus cost around 8.00 GBP. Are theses Japanese needles any good to listen to reggae?

Does a new stylus needle need wearing in as well to obtain optimal sound? That seems to be the problem with the Stanton Replacement stylus. Anybody know what can be done? I have searched and a good needle is stanton n505 for Technics Sl1200. If anybody else has problems trying to find original needle to listen to reggae. Is similiar to original needle if not better

Thanks
Attachments
71huxxCtDyL._SL1500_.jpg
stanton 505 for technics sl1200 replacement needle
71huxxCtDyL._SL1500_.jpg (212.67 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Re: Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Postby jb welda » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 am

I would buy a new cartridge with stylus before I bought one of those cheap aftermarket replacement styli. Typically they do not produce the same specifications as original equipment and often times they are defective and will damage your records. Just find a replacement cartridge equivalent to your old one, and swap it into your headshell, rebalance the tone arm and you should be good to go. There is no break in period for a stylus, it should sound its best brand new, and then it is all downhill from there.

I have the same problem with the Shure V15 that I have always preferred: it is no longer in production and Shure styli are not available. The only option is to buy a replacement and they are very expensive, but with no non-aftermarket styli available, it is my only option.

The fact that it is being mounted in a Technics sl 1200 should have nothing to do with cartridge replacement, they all pretty much fit any turntable arm, or can easily be adapted to do so. Just remember to balance your tone arm before adding the weight required to track.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 am

jb welda wrote:I would buy a new cartridge with stylus before I bought one of those cheap aftermarket replacement styli. Typically they do not produce the same specifications as original equipment and often times they are defective and will damage your records. Just find a replacement cartridge equivalent to your old one, and swap it into your headshell, rebalance the tone arm and you should be good to go. There is no break in period for a stylus, it should sound its best brand new, and then it is all downhill from there.

I have the same problem with the Shure V15 that I have always preferred: it is no longer in production and Shure styli are not available. The only option is to buy a replacement and they are very expensive, but with no non-aftermarket styli available, it is my only option.

The fact that it is being mounted in a Technics sl 1200 should have nothing to do with cartridge replacement, they all pretty much fit any turntable arm, or can easily be adapted to do so. Just remember to balance your tone arm before adding the weight required to track.

one love
jb

Bless JB does the cartridge also start to deteriorate and need replacing over time? Won't It be okay with Just replacing the stylus/needle? Thought it was mainly the needle. Just want everything up to scratch for the new sound system being built. You are right the needle should sound its best first then the signal will start to degrade over time. So no wearing in like you have to let amps warm up and speakers etc
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby jb welda » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 am

yes cartridges degrade, often very quickly, especially with the more sensitive audiophile ones. banging around and just normal use will cause them to go haywire internally, causing a channel to drop out, possibly intermittently, and also can cause the output signal to distort. Some of this may be obvious and some may not, might only be heard with critical listening. That's part of why I suggested just replacing the cartridge instead of the stylus. Though the stylus is cheaper (and included with a new cartridge in most cases), since you cannot get a genuine replacement, your best bet is to just replace the cartridge since it is probably not up to its peak performance anyhow, which you may find out after spending the money on a stylus.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby yms » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 am

When I played records a lot I used to use an Ortofon Concorde or OM cartridge. The Concorde replaces the entire headshell on the tone arm so it's a doddle to set up and you have the option of tons of different stylus to play with that fit the concorde series.
The OM cartridges fit in the headshell like all other cartridges.
Correct alignment, VTA, weight, tracking force and azimuth are really important so do some research if you're keen to get it set up correctly.
The aftermarket stylus from the likes of mantra audio in the uk are as good as the Ortofon originals.
The best the about the Ortofons for me was that the played anything you throw at them and worked particularly wel on pitted, warped and bumpy JA pressings.
Audio Technica make some really nice sounding entry level cartridges as well but I always found myself going back to the Ortofon as the ATs had a tendency to bump around on shitty pressings.
You could do a lot worse than asking for some advice on a site like vinyl engine.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/
yms

Postby DJ Conscious » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 pm

I use the 505 as pictured and I actually rate it over the original 500. Bass and tops are better and overall sound is louder without the loss of warmth. Problem now is finding them because every outlet I've tried are out of stock. All the others I've tried have inferior sound quality in my opinion and lack the warmth so vital for bass. This includes Shure White Label which seems to be the choice for many nowadays and Shure MK-447 which is horrid for Reggae.
DJ Conscious

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Now need good cartridge and stylus for reggae. The Stanton stylus can be bought but you have big problem getting the stanton cartridges. So you would ideally have to change both . Anybody know of anymore good stylus and cartridge for reggae.
jah_vaults

Postby jb welda » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm

check it out if you don't already know:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 pm

jb welda wrote:check it out if you don't already know:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

one love
jb

Bless JB Hard to choose from so many :D :D :D :D :D :D
jah_vaults

Postby adrians wall » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:57 pm

jb welda wrote:yes cartridges degrade, often very quickly, especially with the more sensitive audiophile ones. banging around and just normal use will cause them to go haywire internally, causing a channel to drop out, possibly intermittently, and also can cause the output signal to distort. Some of this may be obvious and some may not, might only be heard with critical listening. That's part of why I suggested just replacing the cartridge instead of the stylus. Though the stylus is cheaper (and included with a new cartridge in most cases), since you cannot get a genuine replacement, your best bet is to just replace the cartridge since it is probably not up to its peak performance anyhow, which you may find out after spending the money on a stylus.

one love
jb

Cartridges do not degrade if used normally, unless you are hitting it with a hammer or storing it in salt water they should last 50+ years. The most common issue with carts dropping out channels is corrosion of the contact between the cart and the lead in wire. Styli degrade through normal use and should be replaced after approximately 1000hours or use but this varies depending on how your cart/tone are is set up, how dirty your records are, what brand of cart it is and so on.

For the OP there is no need to go to MC carts, TBH using an MC cart on a 1200 is bad as it is a direct drive turntable and the low output MC carts will pick up noise from the direct drive mechanism as they get closer to the center of the record, I have experienced this when using the Audio Technica OC9/III.

As for good needles to use, it all depends on what you are planing to do with it. If you vinyl is in good condition and kept clean then I highly recomend the AT440MLb or its replacement the VM540ML, both are stunning carts but are very delicate and pick up dirt easily as they are microline styli so sit lower in the groove than the conical styli that is on that Stanton you have. They will sound loads better than the stanton. If you want a nice easy complete cart to use that is rugged and will last a long time and is easy to get replacement styli for then your best bet is one of the Ortofon Concord series, I use the Q-Bert on the sound system and the Pro S when I do 2 deck DJ gigs. Lots of people I know use the nightclub which is also a great cart but these are DJ carts like your Stanton as opposed to hifi carts like the Audio Technica ones.
adrians wall

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Well my experience with audiophile cartridges is exactly the opposite, and they do not get banged around at all. A Shure V15 is a sturdy cart and will last a while but in my experience they will begin to lose high end after a couple of years, swapping styli does not improve the situation so it is internal to the cartridge. Audio Technica carts last me a year at the most of steady (home) use before they start to degrade. None of this has to do with connections, they are cleaned and refreshed often to avoid corrosion building up. And I live on the west coast of the USA, no humidity to speak of. This has been not only my experience but also the experience of pretty much anyone I have known. It all depends on how you listen and to what...degradation of sound is not very apparent with your typical made in ja records because they sound so shitty to begin with, but if you play half speed masters etc you notice the difference quite rapidly. And using them to play in clubs etc, it is very hard to notice when they degrade due to the listening space and the sonic confusion of the place with people in it...but they are degrading nonetheless.

Perhaps with your average "dj" cartridge the degradation is not so rapid nor so noticeable, but for anything above that, yes they do degrade and quite quickly.

This is of course with proper setup: proper weight, proper alignment, etc and I have instruments I use to assure such setups are within manufacturers tolerances and specifications.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Does the stanton T62B have an angled headshell can anybody confirm? Do most turntables with straight arm have an angled headshell? Was trying to find out specifically about this stanton t62b and if the headshell is angled?

Only info i could find is this statement ( Stanton even sells their pre-mounted cartridges angled. Why? ) If you change the cartridge & stylus on this would you have to angle Cartridge & stylus yourself or would it get done automatically in the headshell when tightening screws and stay at an angle? Or do you need Protactor to get angle right when changing Cartridge stylus? Want to get it right when Angling the cartridge in the headshell.

Its ok i have found the answer. Here is the quote (FRENCHMAN REGGAE PROMOTION ™ I bought some t-62s the other week and thought it was strange that the carts were angled,so I was gonna change em but for some reason I dint and now I see why they're set that way and what the marks are for on the headshell)

The stanton has marks on the underside of tonearm to install the angled or not angled cartridge this is for epilitical needle
cartridge which should de placed at an angle if using a straight arm turntable. If anybody else needs to know this info

I think the hifi stylus cartridge will be better sounding then the Dj cartridge stylus. The Audio Technica reviews seems to be very good on some of their cartridge and stylus. Hope the epilitical needle sounds better.
jah_vaults

Postby Tomcat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Shure M44

Will not disappoint
Tomcat

Postby soul rebel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:21 am

You can't get a good needle for £20-30. You will need to shell out £60-£100. IMO!

And buy it in a store so they can mount it for you. It's not easy to get it right!
At least for me it's close to impossible.. but maybe I'm extra clumsy!
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Regarding cartridges and how long they last Some forums says 15 years another forum says 40 years the cartridge can last. JB said around a year or two and Adrians wall said 50 years. There are a lot of different figures for how long cartridge last before needs replacing. How can we get exact figure or know when the cartridge is nearly packed up completely.
jah_vaults

Next

Return to General discussion