Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Good Reggae needle for SL1200 Mk2 stanton replacement

Postby jb welda » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm

this is the first I have heard of different size connectors. I kind of doubt it too...both sides of the wires I use are the same size and I have never found a cartridge with different size pins than the headshell. But I could be mistaken I guess, stranger things have happened.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm

jb welda wrote:this is the first I have heard of different size connectors. I kind of doubt it too...both sides of the wires I use are the same size and I have never found a cartridge with different size pins than the headshell. But I could be mistaken I guess, stranger things have happened.

one love
jb

One love JB I am speaking from experience. On the first installation I did not do this crucial test process. I also thought they were same size on both ends until I done the test with new headshell wires. This test MUST be done to all four new wires as these headshell wires have different sized connectors. Here is the crucial test before installation if you try to slip the new thin connectors on and off by pushing them against the pins manually by hand without plyers or tweezers to the pin you want to connect you will feel that on one end the connectors are loose fit and on the other end of the wire is the tighter fitting connector. This must be done by HAND ONLY and FINGERS ONLY. No tools first to check otherwise using tools you wont be able to feel the difference. Only do this with new headshell wires. If i remember correctly the looser fitting connector connects to the cartrdige. This also confirms what I said earlier in the only quote I found. You will not be able to tell this DIFFERENCE if you use your old headshell wires as the crimp sizes may have become altered during your old installation if wires were installed the wrong way around. TOOLS must be used for actual installation not to feel size of the crimps when slipping the connectors on and off the pins using HANDS And FINGERS ONLY. I have also included the only quote earlier on in this thread confirming my suspicions where i found this correct information on these headshell wires and correct installation method for the reggae sound system being built once again. Can make a video to show this. Hold tight few days . Then everyone can see how this tricky installation is really done. I recommend doing this crucial test when changing headshell wires then you can feel and tell the difference in crimp size on both ends of the wires.
Last edited by jah_vaults on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby yms » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Ok have done some research and the majority of headshell pins are 1.2mm and cartridge pins are 1.0mm meaning the cable connections can slacken through time if being swapped around regularly.
Some high end audiophile cables are crimped to this specification. As far as I can see the majority are the same both ends.
yms

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 pm

leadwires-clamps.jpg
Headshell wires
leadwires-clamps.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 203 times
yms wrote:Ok have done some research and the majority of headshell pins are 1.2mm and cartridge pins are 1.0mm meaning the cable connections can slacken through time if being swapped around regularly.
Some high end audiophile cables are crimped to this specification. As far as I can see the majority are the same both ends.

Nice work just a nightmare these headshell wires if you dont know this information and can end up with loose wires over a period of time if the wires we're not installed correct way round or if you have the incorrect crimped sized wire etc. See the pic is from Ortofon Website on. So lets say on some connector wires this information might not be marked with numbers but they still may or should be pre crimped to theses sizes or 1.2 mm on both ends.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Previous

Return to General discussion