Question about Burning Spear - Social Living

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Question about Burning Spear - Social Living

Postby Bouty » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:00 am

ok so i was doing some browsing on www.allmusicguide.com and i was reading up on some burning spear albums. anyways, i ran into some confusion here:

ImageImage
So, these are both versions of Social Living, the one on the left ( http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 81r055a~T1 ) appearing to be the Blood And Fire version, and the one on the right ( http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 3taanok~T1 ) released by Island.

But, the thing is, no matter where i go aside from AMG, i havent found any info on the blood and fire issue, including on this site (its not in the discography). Did it not come out yet/only limited release? The "buy" link from AMG also takes me to a page with the Island release.

anyways, if anyone can shed some light on the release issue, as well as what, if any, differences can be found between the 2 albums? it looks like the island release has a couple bonus tracks.

thanks!
Bouty

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:34 am

The archive would have solved this one - it was discontinued for some reason.
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Postby Ital Dokta » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:53 am

Yep - the legal rights to that album ran out so it was discontinued from the B&F catalogue and the rights reverted to Island. Here is the tracklisting for the Island release:

Marcus Children Suffer
Social Living
Nayah Keith
Institution
Marcus Senior
Civilize Reggae
Mister Garvey
Come
Marcus Say Jah No Dead
Social Living (Extended Mix) (*)
Civilised Reggae (Extended Mix) (*)

The B&F release doesn't have the extended tracks and also has a different track running order...digital restoration was taken from master tapes found at Compass Point studio as Steve explained long ago on the old board. Can't recall where the Island reissue was sourced from but I'm sure the answer is in those now unavailable board archives!
Ital Dokta

Postby Dubac » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 am

The Island CD (minus the two 12" bonus tracks) was sourced from an earlier UK/international LP release on One Stop Records. This version was called 'Social Living' and contained:

Marcus Children Suffer (4.38)
Social Living (2.56)
Nayah Keith (4.00)
Institution (3.26)
Marcus Senior (5.05)
Civilized Reggae (5.46)
Mister Garvey (4.52)
Come (3.53)
Marcus Say Jah No Dead (3.54)

Whereas the B&F CD was a direct copy of an original Jamaican LP release titled 'Marcus Children'. The running order on this one is:

Marcus Children Suffer (4.38)
Come (3.52)
Social Living (4.34)
Marcus Say Jah No Dead (3.51)
Marcus Senior (5.10)
Nyah Keith (4.03)
Institution (3.30)
Mister Garvey (3.17)
Civilise Reggae (4.03)

So ignoring slight time variances, the albums contain essentially the same tracks in a different order. But two are extended on the LP and one is longer on the CD.

I never figured out why B&F should release 'Marcus Children' and then call it 'Social Living' though.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:25 am

If the two extended tracks mentioned are the ones on the Island 12" that came out at the time, then they're crackers.
I saw the version with the ext tracks in a UK shop a couple of weeks ago, for around 17 UK pounds though, which is bloody extortionate .
Rob
Anonymous

Return to General discussion