Popular Tunes that are Hard to Find

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Popular Tunes that are Hard to Find

Postby soul rebel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Better Must Come - Delroy Wilson (7")
Report to Me - Gregory Isaacs

This makes me wonder where you are looking... these two, Better Must Come especially, are all over Ebay and second hand webshops.

As for Don't Get Weary, why not go for the UK press on Supreme? Probably easier to find a perfect copy of that than of the Jamaican press.

And like I said in another thread, for anyone who wants the tune on vinyl with good sound, but doesn't care about original press, I would absolutely recommend this:

https://www.discogs.com/Randys-Allstars-Tony-Brevett-Mission-Impossible-Dont-Get-Weary/master/403607
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm not sure how stating the bleeding obvious is helpful and believe it or not I am aware of e-Bay and the internet. I have bought more reggae records over the years than most people on this board and sold thousands on e-Bay and on my own website back in the 90's / 2000's.

I collected over 2,000 reggae records over a 30 year period but I stopped collecting last year. There wasn't e-Bay / the internet in the 80's, and when I started using e-Bay people watched what I was buying and turned outbidding me into an international sport.

Conversely I picked up many rare records for next to nothing or had them given to me for free by friends / family members. However, some tunes which should have been easy to find eluded me for years which is the whole the point of this thread.
Ranking Glasses

Postby soul rebel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Alright, alright... you never know!

All I'm saying is, with the internet, no record is impossible to find.
And as someone who searches various places obsessively, I can with
some certainty say that at least a couple of the records you mentioned
are actually quite easy to find!
And it was only the fact that you said you COULDN'T find them that
made me think that perhaps you didn't know where to look.
Absolutely no disrespect intended!

Btw, I am also old enough to have searched for records BEFORE the internet,
and I do remember how frustrating it could be, especially if you like me live
in a place where well-stocked reggae shops aren't exactly in abundance, now OR then.

Anyway, hope you find the records you're after!
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby marko » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Took me over 15 years to find a clean copy on Links! Was the only reggae record on an obscure Australian website.

Lawd, I am in Australia! Probably the only clean copy in the country and it goes back overseas.
marko

Postby marko » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 pm

soul rebel wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:Better Must Come - Delroy Wilson (7")
Report to Me - Gregory Isaacs

This makes me wonder where you are looking... these two, Better Must Come especially, are all over Ebay and second hand webshops.

As for Don't Get Weary, why not go for the UK press on Supreme? Probably easier to find a perfect copy of that than of the Jamaican press.

And like I said in another thread, for anyone who wants the tune on vinyl with good sound, but doesn't care about original press, I would absolutely recommend this:

https://www.discogs.com/Randys-Allstars-Tony-Brevett-Mission-Impossible-Dont-Get-Weary/master/403607

True but I already have Mission Impossible on a Randys blank so not practical for me.
marko

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 am

Soul Rebel, I stopped collecting last year and sold all my records to buy a new car as the old one was knackered. I actually found clean and original copies of most of the records in the end but it took years. When you're collecting, some records will elude you. In my case I found loads of rare tunes and even multiple copies of originals such as Mellow Up Yourself but certain regular tunes were slippery.

I met a poor guy who was searching for Leave it to Me by F Paul for over 10 years and another who had been searching for You've Lost It by S Minott for even longer. I thought these tunes were easy to find but I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Living Bate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

soul rebel wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:Why do so many people think that "heavy" equates to "good"?

Amen!

outside of reggae 'heavy' has been used to equate to good in the UK for well over a decade....

particularly in hip hop......
Living Bate

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Inside of reggae "heavy" means records with a heavy bass that are usually roots / dub. This fanatical focus on "heavy" has lead to bigger and bigger sound systems that are determined to deafen us and patrons who think they're at a rave. It has also led to monotonous “roots” tunes where no one has noticed or cares just how rubbish they are as long as they are “heavy”.
Ranking Glasses

Postby sparfly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Inside of reggae "heavy" means records with a heavy bass that are usually roots / dub. This fanatical focus on "heavy" has lead to bigger and bigger sound systems that are determined to deafen us and patrons who think they're at a rave. It has also led to monotonous “roots” tunes where no one has noticed or cares just how rubbish they are as long as they are “heavy”.

1 - Jah works mama IS way heavier in the right sense of the term that picture on the wall
2 - Sound system is all about sound pressure which means heavy sound and not the loudest
3 - A word can be used in several ways even if it means the contrary imo (sometimes people call a great tune a bad tune as an expression...)
sparfly

Postby Living Bate » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:26 am

sparfly wrote:3 - A word can be used in several ways even if it means the contrary imo (sometimes people call a great tune a bad tune as an expression...)

exactly....like plenty people would possibly refer to something without any bass as being heavy....

e.g "Dave that Sizzla acapella you dropped last night was heavy".....

[circa 1997] :)
Living Bate

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am

In the 49 years I've been listening to reggae heavy normally means bass heavy given the prominence of the baseline in reggae. The roots elitists, crazy soundmen who have smoked too much ganja and newbies who wouldn't know a good tune if it jumped up and bit them on arse may rate tunes on their bass heaviness but I include other factors.
Ranking Glasses

Previous

Return to General discussion