Burning Sound new 2on1 CDs canceled?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Burning Sound new 2on1 CDs canceled?

Postby Dubdirectory » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Amazon just canceled my pre-order:

Cornell Campbell Meets the Gaylads With Sly and Robbie+Sweet Baby
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071DWSKM3

Winston Jarrett, Earl Sixteen
Rocking Vibration/Songs for a Reason
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071VFRJS2

Does anyone know, if these CDs have been released at all or is the release canceled or postponed?
Dubdirectory

Re: Burning Sound new 2on1 CDs canceled?

Postby Jonathan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 pm

I was just looking at these the other day on Amazon U.S. site. When was the release date?

Most of these Burning Sounds CDs seem to go straight to "1-3 weeks" shipping category after their release date in the U.S. I never buy anything when it says that because it is so vague... but - in the past - if you just wait a month or two they go into the usual shipping availability situation (1, 2 or 5-7 day shipping options). Not sure if that helps at all but that's what I've observed here: they (almost never) issue on the date it shows but several weeks or even a month or two later they are available in the usual way. Thought you were in Canada for some reason...
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby rootsmanjoe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 am

The situation is another: They are changed their plan. They issued the CC- Sweet baby reord not the announced 2 in 1 cd and cancelled the Jarrett / Earl 16 and Charlie Chaplin Roots and culture and now another items come. Some good some not very interesting albums and everybody has to waif if these records really will issued. That's it - Not very fine the sound of the records is ok (which I bought) imo
Has anybody listen to the Honest Jons Jr Dan Compilation (saw it @ ernie b). Is it worth buying?
rootsmanjoe

Postby 99thfloor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:00 pm

The cancelled material is all Roy Cousins productions I believe, so is there some licensing problem maybe?
99thfloor

Postby Donovan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Bummer - I wanted that Cornell Campbell double. Anybody have the Al Campbell Rainy Day/Diamonds double yet?

Anyone who hasn't yet picked up Jimmy Riley Showcase/Majority Rule yet is MISSING OUT!
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby BeePIe2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 pm

My copy of the Al Campbell has arrived Donovan. On first go through it the sound quality seems to be on a par with others in this series (ignoring the Mystic Eyes & the 4x CD sampler). Compared to an MP3 rip of the Diamonds LP I don't think the tracks have been clipped at the start or faded out early. I only had (most of) the Rainy Days tracks on an MP3 rip of the Revival Selection CD (1998) which has the track beginnings clipped, which if that's what the tracks are actually like on that CD, would make this new reissue superior. Unless any of the tracks on Revival Selection turn out to be remixes that I've missed (the only one I've noticed so far being Give The People (What They Want) on the Repatraition CD (2001) which is a dubbier mix than the Rainy Days LP one).

Oh, great riddims of course for anyone unfamiliar with the tracks and for me Rainy Days is the only track too soft to want to repeat, although I find the bird whistles in When Spring Is Around hard work :)

Ooh, last thought. I haven't checked the sleevenotes, which may well mention it, but on the Pressure Sounds Bunny Lee compilation Next Cut! the track Crucial Dub is the riddim for "My Whole World" (U Brown's Fire Keep Burning being the only other track I've found on this one).
BeePIe2

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 pm

I always loved these LPs back in the day, especially Al Campbells Diamonds. Great riddims and fine singing. Shares riddims with other linval Thompson productions on the label. I would not expect much if any improvement in sound quality, Linval told me the studio was malfunctioning the day they laid those tracks, and the in-and-out whooshing and weird sound is in the original tapes, unfortunately. I don't recall intros being clipped on the Diamonds album so if that is what you were hearing and especially if it was very obvious, must have been something with the mp3 you were listening to.

one love
jb
jb welda

Return to General discussion