What is.....???

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

What is.....???

Postby kingj » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Your most cherished...favorite...top piece of reggae you attained via years of collecting??...could be anything!!!..what is it????
kingj

Re: What is.....???

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

The original version of Better Safe Than Sorry by Bunny Brissett has got to be up there. On the softer side, I searched for ages to find an original pressing of Don't Get Weary by Tony Brevitt. Sublime tune.
Ranking Glasses

Postby kalcidis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:06 am

Some records I was exceptionally happy of having found and I still feel psyched about when I think that I have them in my collection:
  • Mr. Spauldings - Super Quality (Roots Rockers 7") – I was very happy when a friend pointed me to a copy for $10. Crazy difficult record and the last one from his early Roots Rockers sessions that I didn't have.
  • Somolians - Rock With Me (Star Disc 7") – There was an eBay auction from the days I still was a student and I remember loving the song so much but not really having any money. It was a mix of hope and angst the days leading up to the auction because I wanted it so bad and dreaded the possibility that someone else would overbid me (I used to be obsessed with collecting but had no money). Finally I was the only bidder and got it for £5 (in NM condition). I still take out the single some times and give it a quick kiss and then file it back.
  • Nicodemus - Nice Up the Dance (Leaf of Life LP)
    N. Tate - Change Your Character (Clappers 12")
    Twinkle Brothers - Rasta Pon Top (Twinkle Music 12")
    – This was just at the start of my record collecting when you still had a variety of stores selling on their own homepages ('99–'01). By googling I found a rock page that had these records still sealed. The LP was $10 and the discogs $5 each. They had several copies of the Twinkle disco. So I bought around 10 of the Twinkle and resold a few to cover my expenses and the rest I gave away to friends. I think I still have a spare of it. It felt like my collection had gone from meh to fantastic in one order. :roll:

I of course have a lot of records nowadays that I rate higher (the Somolians is still at the top though) but just the pure joy I have connected to finding these is a feeling I still can pull out and enjoy.
kalcidis

Postby slengteng » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:35 am

Culture - Police Man

Ras Elroy - Stepping

Gladiators - Mass Charley, a friend of mine found it and ordered it without telling me, and then gave it to me... :!:

And today, I just got Johnny Osbourne - Unity in my mailbox. More than ten years listening to this killer on mp3 and Youtube...
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 pm

kalcidis wrote:I still take out the single some times and give it a quick kiss and then file it back.

Ha, ha, love it! :mrgreen:
99thfloor

Postby DJ Conscious » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 pm

From the top of my head as so, so many to choose from.
Now is the time - Ricky Messenger and the Semi Professionals
Remember Me - Junior Byles/Rupert Reid
Lay Down Your Arms - Wes Brooks

The first three Dub LPs that came into my possession for sheer brilliance and nostalgia.
LKJ in Dub (Dennis Bovell)
Black Ark in Dub (Upsetter in the main)
King Tubby meets Rockers Uptown (Pablo)
DJ Conscious

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 pm

I bought Lay Down My Arms by Wes Brooks from Steve Cox's list. The problem is that I never really listened to the lyrics properly until I bought it and for the life of me, I don't know what he's singing about. Do you?
Ranking Glasses

Postby soul rebel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Albert Tomlinson - Don't Wait Around, original UK 7" on Giant, in near mint condition.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Don't Get Weary isn't THAT hard to find, is it?
But I do think it's a fantastic tune, along with the I Roy version of course!
soul rebel

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 am

A clean version on the Links label isn't that easy to find. Unless you're in the right place at the right time lots of reggae tunes will pass you by. Even back in the day we had to go to several record shops in London to find the latest releases we wanted because they were often supplied with a small quantity of each record and some shops never received some records.

I collected reggae records for over 30 years so I know how hit and miss it can be.

Btw I prefer the Tappa Zukie DJ version.
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 am

Gladiators - Mass Charley, a friend of mine found it and ordered it without telling me, and then gave it to me... :!:

wow! what a tune!
capullo

Postby Living Bate » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 am

not particularly old vintage or anything, but my copy of Sister Marlene - Fly Away is cherished......

and my special of Two Sevens Clash voiced by Joseph Hill
Living Bate

Postby slengteng » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 am

capullo wrote:

wow! what a tune!

Oh yes it is. Well I have to say my friend didn't offer me the disc, I had to give money :P , but anyway, I will be eternally grateful !!!
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby soul rebel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:A clean version on the Links label isn't that easy to find. Unless you're in the right place at the right time lots of reggae tunes will pass you by. Even back in the day we had to go to several record shops in London to find the latest releases we wanted because they were often supplied with a small quantity of each record and some shops never received some records.

I collected reggae records for over 30 years so I know how hit and miss it can be.

Btw I prefer the Tappa Zukie DJ version.

Yeah, my copy isn't totally clean, but then it was not very expensive either.
Not sure exactly, but no more than £20.
soul rebel

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

I managed to find a mint copy for £25 but the pressing wasn't brilliant. Looked like it had been hand made!
Ranking Glasses

Next

Return to General discussion