Can't believe I used to like...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Can't believe I used to like...

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Yes of course but the difference is when something sounds like pop or sounds commercial.
Here's a good or a bad example depending on your perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEevtQhlJR0

My point is that if one doesn't like a certain type of music then just say so and that's ok, but I think it's silly to, as a justification, try to make up any objective reasons for why it isn't good, because there aren't any, it's all subjective.

The thing with the stuff in the clip you posted is that it aims to be commercial in a different market than most Reggae, I don't think that was very popular at home(?), in other words it was not "commercial" in Jamaica, but perhaps(?) in Germany.
99thfloor

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 pm

By "pop music" I didn't necessarily mean "commercial", though in most cases that would be a necessary adjunct to the meaning, I indeed meant "popular music", as a genre, not necessarily as meaning any certain song or style was popular. But yeah if you were speaking of Jamaica, then reggae music might be described as "pop music" as in "popular" but I was more referencing the USA or UK or European standard for pop music. I would say of most reggae I know, Bob Marleys island catalogue, some aswad, some steel pulse, even ska music such as My Boy Lollipop was "pop music" as opposed to strictly reggae music, which I regard as street, yard music for the sufferers. A bit outdated concept I know, perhaps a better example might be that bob marley is well known in America but ask the average American about any other reggae "star" and they would be hard pressed to name one. That to me pretty much defines Bob Marley, at least his later works, as "pop music" more than pretty much any other reggae music, regardless of how popular the other artists might be back home in JA

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby soul rebel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:05 pm

99thfloor wrote:And "commercial" means it's made to be sold, as again all Reggae put out on record is.

THANK YOU! Needs to be said, over and over!

Just as how the absolute majority of reggae music was made with the dancefloor/dancehall in mind.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Some people in Europe and America put rock music sensibilites and rules on reggae music - for example, that it's shameful to want to be popular and sell lots of records. Not for a minute considering that many reggae artist start out dirt poor, and their very lives may depend on getting hits or not.
soul rebel

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 am

As Shaggy once said, he doesn't make a record and hope that it flops! Of course artists and producers want sales. With roots and gospel reggae they are also conveying a message and Bob Marley was very keen to do "Jah works".

Bob was obviously very popular and his Island music sold in millions so it is pop music in that sense. However, you wouldn't play The Heathen at a children's birthday party for example which is where I was coming from in terms of roots reggae not being pop.
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am

soul rebel wrote:Some people in Europe and America put rock music sensibilites and rules on reggae music - for example, that it's shameful to want to be popular and sell lots of records. Not for a minute considering that many reggae artist start out dirt poor, and their very lives may depend on getting hits or not.

Damn right !!!! It's not SOME people, really, it's MOST !
As for roots reggae, many people seem to forget how many people jumped onto the "Rasta Bandwagon" (as Delroy Wilson once pointed out) just to make a quicker buck. Lucky there was no thought police back then and no witch hunt (and there's still no real ones, despite all the venom being spread on the web).
Besides, a guy like Marley was at once "roots" (certain lyrics) and "commercial" (additional sounds, instruments, arrangements brought to reggae to please the int'l rock audiences once he signed on Island).
lankou

Postby soul rebel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Another thing. A lot of people listen to 70s roots, hear artists singing about peace & love, and think they are some damn hippies, and therefore think they are likeminded.
They don't get that the artists are singing about the political violence in the ghettos at that time.
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah, I love Delroy's "False Rasta", and would absolutely drop it in a roots dance!
(not that there is a chance I would ever be invited to one. I'm part of that dirty, dirty, DANCEHALL scene. Which in Roots people terms means anyone who doesn't play exclusively roots. Forget the fact that my sound plays everything from ska & rocksteady to the latest reggae & dancehall.)
soul rebel

Postby Apostle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

The Shabba Ranks cut on the Martial Arts riddim is a guilty pleasure of mine. Even though that riddim has been rinsed so much by all the dj's, Shabba's version never gets old. It's still a firm favourite in my playlist when I go running.

See me moving heavier
See me flying regular
When me hold Jennifer
Anything me ready fah
Shabba Ranks a warrior
We nuh play sorry fah
Tell dem clear the corridor
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Apostle

Postby slengteng » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm

soul rebel wrote:Yeah, I love Delroy's "False Rasta", and would absolutely drop it in a roots dance!
(not that there is a chance I would ever be invited to one. I'm part of that dirty, dirty, DANCEHALL scene. Which in Roots people terms means anyone who doesn't play exclusively roots. Forget the fact that my sound plays everything from ska & rocksteady to the latest reggae & dancehall.)

Would you name some of the lastest reggae & dancehall tunes your sound does play ?I'm curious to know. Not a trap question :wink:

Apostle wrote:The Shabba Ranks cut on the Martial Arts riddim is a guilty pleasure of mine. Even though that riddim has been rinsed so much by all the dj's, Shabba's version never gets old. It's still a firm favourite in my playlist when I go running.

See me moving heavier
See me flying regular
When me hold Jennifer
Anything me ready fah
Shabba Ranks a warrior
We nuh play sorry fah
Tell dem clear the corridor
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh yes, I forgot to put that one in the list, but certainly one of my favourites. Give Them Di Shabba !!! 8) Sizzla's cut was solid too.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Playing exclusively roots is like making love in the same position every time - boring. Reggae is so much more than roots.
Ranking Glasses

Postby kalcidis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Playing exclusively roots is like making love in the same position every time - boring. Reggae is so much more than roots.

Yes and no. For many that is obviously true (that it would be boring with only roots – the point that it's much more is a fact which none can dispute). For some it's all about roots and they seem to enjoy it. There's no real point in applying ones own preferences on others. However ... what I can't stand is when people love roots so much and argue for it being the genuine reggae or a higher form of it. Can't stand them. Furthermore I've chosen one position and I'm perfecting it – it has its challenges.
kalcidis

Postby soul rebel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:02 pm

slengteng wrote:
soul rebel wrote:Would you name some of the lastest reggae & dancehall tunes your sound does play ?I'm curious to know. Not a trap question :wink:

Anything that's good or big, dancehall-wise all the Kartel, Mavado, Masicka, etc etc. Reggae-wise the Marleys, Chronixx, Kabaka, Protoje, and such.

Plus a healty selection of big tunes and favorites from the 80s and 90s. We seldom get to play anything older than that, but we have all that stuff (I have lots and lots on vinyl), both 60s and 70s, and when a chance to play that comes along, we take it with pleasure and excitement! For instance, I played not long ago as a guest at a 60s/skinnhead dance with a sound/crew that specializes in that and that alone. I've played a number of events like that, and I love nothing more, but it is still rare for us/me.
soul rebel

Postby slengteng » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I see you're from Sweden : Don't forget to play the soon-to-be-released Junior Natural work :wink:
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 am

Diseases - Michigan and Smiley.
The rhythm and delivery are fine but the lyrics are horrendous - the idea that God would give you horrific diseases for behaving a certain way or wearing certain clothes is terrible. Of course there is a lot of reggae that is pretty awful lyrically in terms of being bigoted and misogynistic (and just plain bad).
For the most part I still like what I always have and I try to buy stuff that I think I will keep listening to.
I did buy a bunch of UK reggae/dub and don't listen to it now - some of it's worth quite a bit on Discogs. Not sure I can sell it very easily in Canada though.

I don't really think of Bob Marley's music as pop mostly due to the subject matter of the lyrics which is fairly uncompromising and will ruffle a few feathers. I also agree that all records are commercial in the sense that they are put out to sell but there is a difference between artists who try to figure out what will really sell massively (say this year's Despacito) and artists who put out what they want and wouldn't change one iota to sell more records (probably someone like Tom Waits).
Mark T
Mark T

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion