Can't believe I used to like...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Can't believe I used to like...

Postby Peter Dalton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

I agree entirely with your Shabba selection, slengteng, and would add the Golden Touch album on Two Friends.
Peter Dalton

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 pm

I still like Super Cat, Nicodemus, Briggy and several others. Toyan's Natty Step it Him Tracks & Socks and How the West Was Won LP still sound good.
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Can't stand Pinchers or Pliers now!
Ranking Glasses

Postby slengteng » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I still like Super Cat, Nicodemus, Briggy and several others. Toyan's Natty Step it Him Pants & Socks and How the West Was Won LP still sound good.

I Still like Briggy. About Toyan, I really loved his music when I was 18 or 19, I bought Ghetto Man Skank and used to play it a lot. Now I'm 32 and I haven't listened to it for nearly 10 years. At that time, I was broke and couldn't afford to buy the CD version of How The West Was Won (with extra tracks) and I got very frustrated :roll: Now I wouldn't buy it for 10 euros, even if the title track still sounds nice. But overall, too much gimmicks.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:11 am

DJ music has really moved on due to artists like Bounty Killer, Beenie Man, Capleton, etc. They made their predecessors sound dated and now I guess it's their turn to sound dated. It's quite interesting listening to Ninja Man because he has somehow managed to advance in terms of lyrical content and intricacy.
Ranking Glasses

Postby soul rebel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Pinchers, in my humble opinion, has a bunch of really good tunes, but is/was very very inconsistent. But when I listen to soundtapes, I really rate him.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Bandelero by Pinchers was a massive tune when I was in JA many years ago and Hold Me was his next tune on the same riddim. Couldn't sit down and listen to these tunes now though.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Living Bate » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 am

guillaumebougard wrote:British Reggae groups

Misty In Roots?? ....... Wise & Foolish is a stone cold classic

Black Roots output is also of a very high standard....

personally....i'd probably just say certain dancehall....the more abrasive stuff.....sometimes i pluck out an old 45 blend i've done and i'm like why the fug did i ruin such a lovely blend with fuggin TOK or Ninjaman....or Turbulence or some battyman killing tune......or maybe Toba Chung or something just chatting pure fuggry....

i also sometimes wonder why i listened to Tanya Stephens....
Living Bate

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 am

Living Bate wrote:
guillaumebougard wrote:British Reggae groups

personally....i'd probably just say certain dancehall....the more abrasive stuff.....sometimes i pluck out an old 45 blend i've done and i'm like why the fug did i ruin such a lovely blend with fuggin TOK or Ninjaman....or Turbulence or some battyman killing tune......or maybe Toba Chung or something just chatting pure fuggry....

i also sometimes wonder why i listened to Tanya Stephens....

You get caught up in the moment. We've all been there! :D
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 am

Bob Marleys Island catalogue. But honestly never really did like it all that much, though for a moment there I thought it was pretty great. Now it just sounds like pop music.

one love
jb
the Donald trump of reggae, forever staring into the eclipse
jb welda

Postby ice » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:29 pm

johnnyB wrote:Strange. I still like what I used to like.

same here, more or less
ice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:51 pm

jb welda wrote:Bob Marleys Island catalogue. But honestly never really did like it all that much, though for a moment there I thought it was pretty great. Now it just sounds like pop music.

one love
jb
the Donald trump of reggae, forever staring into the eclipse

Apart from Waiting in Vain and One Drop Bob Marley wasn't played that much in the black reggae clubs and parties. Lloyd Coxsone was the exception maybe because they were friends. I don't think it's fair however to class all of Bob's Island works as Pop because although songs like One Love & Three Little Birds are undoubtedly Pop, Heathen, Running Away, Guiltiness, Roots, Natural Mystic, etc., are roots reggae.
Ranking Glasses

Postby django » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:15 am

Red Rat.
django

Postby soul rebel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm

A tune like Bandelero will never! Bonafide classic!

Well, I know I'm different from most people on this board in that I love all periods and styles of reggae (in the overall sense). From Ska to Dancehall, from the most pious roots to the roughest dancehall...
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Regarding Bob/The Wailers, even though I prefer the Wail N Soul M stuff and the Lee Perry-produced stuff, I have to say each Island album contains at least a couple of really good classics. But IMO each also has some weak points...
soul rebel

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion